Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

  1. #1
    Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Now we're talkin'!

    Last edited by Lemur; 07-25-2013 at 17:57. Reason: Fixed YouTube link.
    "Après moi le déluge"

    Member thankful for this post:



  2. #2
    Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    285

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Sweet! Really cool!

    In fact, Patricia was ok - not nearly as annoying as the Two Stooges from Rally Point.

    And the game menu and campaign map teasers were fascinating.

  3. #3
    Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Everywhere...
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Thanks for sharing mate i liked this video, it seems that i will really enjoy the campaign map. Also the edicts are going to make things more interseting i beleive.

  4. #4
    The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    YU-ESS-AY
    Posts
    6,667

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Love that each faction now has an internal politics system. This was one of the biggest failings of the original RTW as while it made Rome feel special and everything else felt like a second rate faction. Great touch.

    I do not like the look of the campaign map. It's very pretty but it feels cramped somehow. Hard to put my finger on it. Won't know until I tried.

  5. #5
    COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...
    Posts
    9,165

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Love that each faction now has an internal politics system.
    Yes, from what I've read there are also cultural influences that allow to "capture" regions and such. This is definitely a huge step forward by CA ^^

  6. #6
    Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Everywhere...
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Another thing i noticed is the culture grouos are being represented under different tabs. So we got one for rome, carthage, succesors, eastern kingdoms etc. It my understanding that each culture pack dlc will add a new group tab witharound three factions. What i dont understand is that why would germanic, gaulic and briton tribes would need individual tabs? We have only a singlw tribe from each group dont we? Also i remember reading that the different tribes under each culture will have identical units. So does these seperate groupings means that we will be able to unlock different tribes as we play? If Jack is around, can you please explain this?

  7. #7
    COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...
    Posts
    9,165

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    My bet, given the videogame market trend of these days, they will indeed release more DLCs (even of such groups that already have one).
    When you look at the already known DLCs, they are structured as new factions/political parties, but also bringing in new units. So my guess is that they will make such encompassing additions...

    Personally I find it a commendable approach: who can't wait will pay more, but get a decent amount of new content; while patience will allow pretty sweet steam sale deals ^^

  8. #8
    Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    957

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I do not like the look of the campaign map. It's very pretty but it feels cramped somehow. Hard to put my finger on it. Won't know until I tried.
    I don't like the cliffy coasts. I don't know, they just look weird.

    The mechanics seem good. It sounds like Rome II will have a lot more depth than Shogun II.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

  9. #9
    Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Everywhere...
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    My bet, given the videogame market trend of these days, they will indeed release more DLCs (even of such groups that already have one).
    When you look at the already known DLCs, they are structured as new factions/political parties, but also bringing in new units. So my guess is that they will make such encompassing additions...

    Personally I find it a commendable approach: who can't wait will pay more, but get a decent amount of new content; while patience will allow pretty sweet steam sale deals ^^
    Agreed, that seems to be the most likely future. By the way do you guys know if it is possible to get steam discount notifications? Sometimes i spend weeks without login in steam and hence i miss the possible deals sometimes.

  10. #10
    Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin Death Trip
    Posts
    15,754

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    do you guys know if it is possible to get steam discount notifications?
    Yeah, no time to look it up right now, but I believe it's associated with your wishlist, or somewhere in that set of options. You can ask Steam to send an email when a particular title goes on sale, definitely.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." — Groucho Marx

    Member thankful for this post:



  11. #11
    Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Everywhere...
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Yeah, no time to look it up right now, but I believe it's associated with your wishlist, or somewhere in that set of options. You can ask Steam to send an email when a particular title goes on sale, definitely.
    Ok thanks i will check it out soon and update.

  12. #12
    mostly harmless Member B-Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    on the Streets of Rage!
    Posts
    1,070

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Excellent preview. I'm drooling over the campaign map. Reminds me of Civilization (in a good way). The idea of a somewhat more historical RTW with no "Rebels" faction is just awesome. I hope they do eventually make most factions playable, even if it means a freaking DLC for every culture group. I'd really like to be able to campaign as Galatia one day.

    And I really, really like the fact that the campaign map doesn't have lines for region borders, only faction borders. That looks so much better.

  13. #13
    The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    YU-ESS-AY
    Posts
    6,667

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    I don't like the cliffy coasts. I don't know, they just look weird.

    The mechanics seem good. It sounds like Rome II will have a lot more depth than Shogun II.
    That could very well be it. Hum. I loved the soft shores of Shogun 2's map. Let's hope CA institutes a global warming system to raise the sea levels on the campaign map.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    That could very well be it. Hum. I loved the soft shores of Shogun 2's map. Let's hope CA institutes a global warming system to raise the sea levels on the campaign map.
    Burning berserker pigs were the leading source of greenhouse gas emissions before the Industrial Revolution.

    Members thankful for this post (7):

    + Show/Hide List



  15. #15
    COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...
    Posts
    9,165

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Wing View Post
    I hope they do eventually make most factions playable, even if it means a freaking DLC for every culture group.
    What I do not like about this, is that by reading the prices for the "Hellas" DLCs, each have its own tag. So it looks like they will make a DLC = new faction, probably released in tandem with a couple of others. But each at a full DLC price...
    Gotta love how the marketing people squeeze every dime they can :P

  16. #16
    Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Everywhere...
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Yep agreed. Half the work, triple the money..

  17. #17
    mostly harmless Member B-Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    on the Streets of Rage!
    Posts
    1,070

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Yeah, it's definitely a rip-off, but if the alternative is no more factions, well... I'll pony up for the ones I actually want to play.

  18. #18
    Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Everywhere...
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Wing View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely a rip-off, but if the alternative is no more factions, well... I'll pony up for the ones I actually want to play.
    Yeah i can see many people going for the dlcs especially if the game wont be modder friendly as we suspect.

  19. #19
    The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    15,662

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    I think it looks cramped because of the scale of the cities. They all look like modern urban sprawls. I assume that is so you can see what they have at a glance without having to zoom in. But it does make the "10x" larger map look smaller when you put "100x" larger icons on it.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

  20. #20
    Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin Death Trip
    Posts
    15,754

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    @The Outsider, found the details here. As I thought, it's tied to the "wishlist."

    Wishlist Notifications

    Don't miss out when the best deals happen

    We'll let you know by email or through our mobile app when the games on your Wishlist are on sale as a Daily Deal, Midweek Madness or Weekend Deal. Whether you're riding the bus, walking the dog, or stuck in a meeting, you'll know when there's a deal!
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." — Groucho Marx

    Member thankful for this post:



  21. #21

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Thanks this looks Great!

  22. #22
    Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Everywhere...
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    @The Outsider, found the details here. As I thought, it's tied to the "wishlist."

    Wishlist Notifications

    Don't miss out when the best deals happen

    We'll let you know by email or through our mobile app when the games on your Wishlist are on sale as a Daily Deal, Midweek Madness or Weekend Deal. Whether you're riding the bus, walking the dog, or stuck in a meeting, you'll know when there's a deal!
    Well that will be a great way of knowing about the deals. Thanks a lot for taking the time mate :-)

  23. #23
    Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    797

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Yeah i can see many people going for the dlcs especially if the game wont be modder friendly as we suspect.
    I want to preorder this to get the Greek factions, but at the same time, if the game turns out to be crap like Rome 1 was, I don't want it unless it can modded heavily as Rome 1 could be (EB is an amazing game).

    Do we know how modder friendly it is going to be?
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

  24. #24
    Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

    Quote Originally Posted by fallen851 View Post
    Do we know how modder friendly it is going to be?
    Yea, like SH2 so not very but folks did manage now didn't they? I am certain that, given the subject matter's popularity and the games potential a new Darth will reveal themselves.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO