Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This gets worse all the time!

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default This gets worse all the time!

I now find that I can not sign into my email account without giving them my phone number!

I presume this is so they can match the meta data, what ever the excuses given are.

Also please note that the large communications companies and internet companies, like Microsoft and Google get paid from the government for providing them your information.

I am pretty damned fed up with government and their corporate buddies.

Come on SFTS, tell us how we are over reacting and this is for our own good.
    Last edited by Fisherking; 08-09-2013 at 11:17.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Members thankful for this post (3):

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Default Re: This gets worse all the time!

what email provider do you use?
    every time I have run across this in gmail for example, there is always an option to opt out of giving your phone number.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

The mobile number code thing has been around since some while if I'm not wrong. All I've got by putting my number in that box is a code from google everytime I try to sign into my account from a new machine, nothing else. No spam, no ads. So I don't think they're trying to breach your privacy.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

The alternate means is to link to another email address, also a means of closing a loop but if the alternate address is from the same place, you have to give your phone number to get in to get your "security code".

Mark Twain

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Outside of the privacy issue it is a good way for 2 factor authentication.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

but they were already linked, so this is something more.

Mark Twain

Well, it's good that there are, sorry, were, e-mail services such as lavabit

You're also completely overreacting Fisherking, the constitution was just a guideline, it was never meant to stop an Orwellian scenario since that book wasn't even written yet.
    Should be obvious!

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

It ticks me off too, since I can no longer use some services because they require a mobile phone #, and I do not have a mobile phone.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Why hide? Even if you do "have something to hide", why hide it?

Easier to just slip under their noses. Sometimes nothing blinds men to the particular so much as the apprehension of the whole.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Just use AOL accounts.

OH MY GOD

...you mean the evil gubmintz can get access to the same information they'd find in the phone book? Scary.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Member thankful for this post:

Just use AOL accounts.
    Way ahead of you: my main account is still an AIM-domain from 2006.
    Vitiate Man.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    OH MY GOD

...you mean the evil gubmintz can get access to the same information they'd find in the phone book? Scary.
    I think it's the reverse, by knowing the phone number you can backtrack the e-mail owner. If it's the other way I agree.

That type of confirmation system is old though, I've encountered it back in 04-05. Since I was late an didn't get a cell until 06, that was a bit of a problem.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    I think it's the reverse, by knowing the phone number you can backtrack the e-mail owner. If it's the other way I agree.

That type of confirmation system is old though, I've encountered it back in 04-05. Since I was late an didn't get a cell until 06, that was a bit of a problem.
    I honestly don't see why the government shouldn't be able to tie an email account to a person, just like they can tie a mailbox to a person.

This privacy hysteria is starting to get as annoying as the security hysteria. Be gone both of you, you give me cancer.

In fact, with a Universal ID for citizens, tie a state-administered email account to it?

That gets rid of issues with the private companies that provide email domains and all that. Also, no trouble with changing the "official" account. Right?
    Last edited by Montmorency; 08-09-2013 at 22:01.
    Vitiate Man.

I honestly don't see why the government shouldn't be able to tie an email account to a person, just like they can tie a mailbox to a person.

This privacy hysteria is starting to get as annoying as the security hysteria. Be gone both of you, you give me cancer.
    You give me migraines sometimes HoreTore. Apparently the world you wish to live in is a world of no privacy, rampant sexual hedonism and polyamory and everything is given to you by the government.

OH MY GOD. HoreTore has either never read Brave New World​ or he did. And I don't know which is scarier.

HoreTore has either never read Brave New World​ or he did.
    I read it when I was 11 and I thought it sucked.

I reread it for English class at 14 and thought it sucked even more.

That is, unless you interpret it as the story of final victory over barbarism.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    I read it when I was 11 and I thought it sucked.

I reread it for English class at 14 and thought it sucked even more.

That is, unless you interpret it as the story of final victory over barbarism.
    Well how old are you now son?

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    You give me migraines sometimes HoreTore. Apparently the world you wish to live in is a world of no privacy, rampant sexual hedonism and polyamory and everything is given to you by the government.

OH MY GOD. HoreTore has either never read Brave New World​ or he did. And I don't know which is scarier.
    Privacy is good, but this privacy wave we're seeing now is getting absurd. It gets in the way of sensible policies, like removing money and switching to electronic payment, because apparently it's super-important to "protect privacy".

But don't get me wrong, I still consider airport security to be a lot dumber...

Also, Brave New World is neither russian or french, nor eritten before the 20th century. Thus, I haven't read it. Though the utopia you describe does sound tasty.... Will there be a ban on hipsters too? If so, I'm in.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 08-09-2013 at 22:14.

Well how old are you now son?
    I'll do the brave thing and post a photo of myself.

Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    I'll do the brave thing and post a photo of myself.

Switch to contacts, your face just looks silly with the glasses.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Germans using the same keystroke programs

LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

The goverment should be able to know everything about your public persona yes, it's the question how deep the protection of a private life should be. Should you be able to have a private e-mail akin to post boxes or maildrops?

More general, I do get the feeling that this will end up with AI:s knowing everything about everybody. Filtering and chross checking through a ton of data feels like their niche and NSA would keep thier data gathering, while making a small privacy concession about their employers using it to check out the ex-girlfriend's new husband.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Germans using the same keystroke programs

LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    Not that surprising, a lot of Germans already thought our government is dishonest about this. And they want our own spying to stop as much as yours. The BND hasn't even made a secret about wanting to spy on us more every since the first stuff from Snowden was revealed, I posted it here long ago...
    But keep laughing if it boosts you ego.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I'm confused. They are using your phone# as an authentification tool, or they just asked for it out of the blue? If they are using it for authentification, they already have it so there is no issue. If they want it otherwise, just lie. I do it all the time with websites and register drones asking for zip codes and phone numbers.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

No, they want the phone number so they can call and verify that it is you trying to log in. Of course if someone else has hijacked an account and gives a different phone number the account is lost, so how is this so secure.

I didn’t ask for added security. Anything computer plugged into a wall and connected to a phone line can be hacked anyway.

On the one hand I would love to talk to a live rep from the company so I can give them a piece of my mind. But I know it will only be some poor contractor from India or Pakistan on the other end and this is just to tie up lose ends on their meta data tracking.

Mark Twain

prism-break.org is a good site with some alternatives: https://prism-break.org/

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I'm confused. They are using your phone# as an authentification tool, or they just asked for it out of the blue? If they are using it for authentification, they already have it so there is no issue. If they want it otherwise, just lie. I do it all the time with websites and register drones asking for zip codes and phone numbers.
    Meh, don't make it up, give them a sex line, your worst enemies, tax line or better still a politicians.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Meh, don't make it up, give them a sex line, your worst enemies, tax line or better still a politicians.
    If they ask for a zip code, I do give them the one for the White House. For a phone #, I give them Jenny's, but I have to change the cadence of or else they catch on.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Hey Pape, what do you think of I2P?
    Vitiate Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast