Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgive me Strike for I have sinned.

Default Forgive me Strike for I have sinned.

I have been working out for a while now, and it wasn't until today that I realized that none of the lifting exercises I was doing worked my shoulders.

My deltoids are going to get jealous of my biceps and triceps.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Forgive me Strike for I have sinned.

Well what exercises are you doing?

Also, with shoulder exercises do not think that going low (in terms of range of movement) will help. If you do that, it starts to involve your chest and then you are using that to boost the weights back up thus taking the strain off your shoulders.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Just do squats forever; biceps are a joke.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It takes some time, your musles are first to aquire natural buildbup. That goes really fast but there's a cap

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    My biceps are tiny, but my triceps are monstrous. Pushups, man. Pushups!
    I'm the exact opposite - big biceps small triceps. Funnily enough I think you may be right about pushups. I used to do conventional 3-day bench/deadlift/squat when I was at my peak, and my chest and triceps always lagged a fair bit.

Since then I've lost weight and stopped eating tons and even lifting for a while because of a couple of health problems, but since I started doing some upper-body stuff again, I've noticed that doing pushups makes my chest and triceps pump up a lot, certainly in a way the bench press never did. I do diamond pushups as well as regular ones though.

If you want to do cardio you can do it in addition to weightlifting, just make sure you get enough calories to grow. When it comes to lifting weights lift heavy (as in, no more than 12 reps per set), otherwise you won't put on size. Compare a sprinter with a marathon runner.

Seriously, weights are for chumps. It's the movement that's key, the weight just reduces the number of movements necessary.

Low weight high rep anything is, in my opinion, better than the opposite.
    Exactly. Do the movement right, and you might well use a 5-lbs weight. Bodybuilder types...

Just do squats, and exercises for the lower back and abdomen on that, uh, thing:

You know, the cylinder you bend over, subsequently lifting your legs or trunk up under their own power. I suppose you could even do it on a kitchen desk if you don't mind discomfort.

While, beyond that, it's a good idea to keep your shoulders fit, the upper back and arms get what they need from your normal daily activities, pretty much. Bulging biceps or pecs do little for your overall health.

Health is in the muscles of the thighs, abdomen, and lower back. This is the Soviet way.
    Vitiate Man.

Member thankful for this post:

I think I am just going to do those street workouts I see on youtube.

EDIT: I am gonna post my workout here soon, I'm just in the middle of boxing a lot of things today.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 08-02-2013 at 22:48.

Members thankful for this post (2):

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Well I certainly hope it is bare knuckles boxing.

If you post your workout videos, please be shirtless

My chest and triceps are getting huge thanks to all this vertical hokey pokey I been playing.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    Well I certainly hope it is bare knuckles boxing.

If you post your workout videos, please be shirtless
    I can deliver but Andres will get angry.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Push ups are for idiots
    Cardio is for idiots
    Street workouts are for genetic outlying idiots
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Push ups are for idiots
    Cardio is for idiots
    Is this an attempt at humor?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Is this an attempt at humor?
    No, Push ups don't maximize efficiency, cardiac is catabolic (actual cardio not the bullshit 2 mile runs you people go on), and I would love to get those street workout guys on a bodybuilder plan and 6000 calories.

Do you have something to add or will it be your same misinformed gospel that has gotten you no where?

Per the thread:

I have the same stripped down program I give to everyone.

It's the one I use 6 days a week, spending only 45 minutes a day with free weights

Chest
    BP 4x6
    MP 4x6
    Skullcrushers 3x8
    Curls 3x21
    Occasionally dips

Legs
    Squats 4x6
    kettlebell squats 4x15
    hamstring curls 3x8
    Toe raises 4x20
    Occasionaly I'll throw in an OHS or front squat

Back
    Deadlift 4x6
    Lawnmowers 3x8
    Lat Pulls 3x8
    Pullups until failure, in leiu of that, pulldowns

For cardio I play soccer, rugby, and run sprints.

I used more sophistacted programs when I was powerlifting, along with cutting out the majority of running
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 08-04-2013 at 03:10.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

lol, edited this garbage away. my workout was garbage.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 08-04-2013 at 03:42.

Ok, **** everything I just wrote, I am going to try out strike's regiment.

wat

wat
    I am not a smart man, and I have never exercised at all until 4 weeks ago. It will be clear to all very soon how inept I am.

Start out 3x a week

I'm not going to lie, your program is horrid.

Start out 3x a week

I'm not going to lie, your program is horrid.
    This is why I made the thread. I had to look up half the exercises you listed, lol.

EDIT: I realized that working out is just like Starcraft, if you want to learn how to do it right, you gotta copy what others are doing first. You can't start making your own build orders in bronze league and expect to come up with anything but utter shit.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 08-04-2013 at 03:40.

Exercise more and eat better is an abstract, hollow statement with no meaning.

ACIN please read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. He explains this stuff way better than I could.

Exercise more and eat better is an abstract, hollow statement with no meaning.

ACIN please read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. He explains this stuff way better than I could.
    I can't afford the paperback, hopefully the Kindle version also includes the illustrations.

Also eat.

Eat more than what you currently think a lot is.

Also eat.

Eat more than what you currently think a lot is.
    Jeez, what happened to being lean and wiry? As long as your biceps is larger than a 10-y/o girl's, and you can comfortably open jars without anyone's help...
    Vitiate Man.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Jeez, what happened to being lean and wiry? As long as your biceps is larger than a 10-y/o girl's, and you can comfortably open jars without anyone's help...
    You forget carrying a case of beer.

Apart from that, I share the sentiment.

Go out cycling or running twice a week, perhaps lift some weights on another day (but not too heavy, or you'll end up with an injury), watch the food a bit, and you'll be just fine.

Unless you're planning to do hard physical labour for a living, I don't see the need for big muscles. It's not like you have to carry a mammoth back to your cave to survive the Winter.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

I started yoga yesterday and cross train this morning, then get to my "special" surprise class taught by a guest instructor, and it is stunt fighting for film. My butt is officially kicked. Skinny in no time.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

As if ACIN is going to blow up to mammoth proportions

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

I assume he's able to lift a case of 24 bottles of beer (not empty ones) and to carry it for about 100 meters.

If not, then he should stop posting here and start to train, starting with one bottle and building up to a full case of beer
    Last edited by Andres; 08-05-2013 at 15:29.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

No, Push ups don't maximize efficiency, cardiac is catabolic (actual cardio not the bullshit 2 mile runs you people go on), and I would love to get those street workout guys on a bodybuilder plan and 6000 calories.

Do you have something to add or will it be your same misinformed gospel that has gotten you no where?

Per the thread:

I have the same stripped down program I give to everyone.

It's the one I use 6 days a week, spending only 45 minutes a day with free weights

Chest
    BP 4x6
    MP 4x6
    Skullcrushers 3x8
    Curls 3x21
    Occasionally dips

Legs
    Squats 4x6
    kettlebell squats 4x15
    hamstring curls 3x8
    Toe raises 4x20
    Occasionaly I'll throw in an OHS or front squat

Back
    Deadlift 4x6
    Lawnmowers 3x8
    Lat Pulls 3x8
    Pullups until failure, in leiu of that, pulldowns

For cardio I play soccer, rugby, and run sprints.

I used more sophistacted programs when I was powerlifting, along with cutting out the majority of running
    Ahh...then you care only about muscle mass and not physical fitness and functional strength.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

If you aren't doing weights, add dips to your regimen.

Herschel Walker never lifted weights, he just did tons of pushups, situps and running every day. And all he accomplished was getting the Cowboys 3 Super Bowl titles.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

You forgot that he has a 2-0 winning streak as an MMA fighter, and is an accomplished Taekwondoist and ballet dancer, and nearly made the Olympic sprint team.
    Last edited by Vuk; 08-05-2013 at 16:31.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast