Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOP Presidential Primary

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default GOP Presidential Primary

I'm just waiting for my favorite game to roll around again. My favorites for the run are:

Ryan
    Rubio
    Paul
    Christie
    Bush
    Ayotte
    Jindal
    Cruz
    McMorris-Rodgers

It's going to be great, I doubt we've ever seen so much new talent so prominently featured for a run simultaneously. Obviously, I have a feeling that a few are going to drop early, my money is on Iowa and NH being close, but favoring Paul. Subsequent States are likely to favor Christie, particularly after he tacks right following his NJ gubernatorial re-election. All bets are off if Christie scrambles after winning his re-election. They are polling best right now, 3 years away, so it means nothing.

Am I missing any more long-standing names? This has to be a first that the old guard are largely absent from the field.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 08-09-2013 at 03:36.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Re: GOP Presidential Primary

Either Christie or Jeb Bush. Bush will easily draw a lot of Hispanic vote while Christie is just a plain cool no-nonsense guy. Of course a lot depends on who will emerge on the Dem side.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Members thankful for this post (3):

Tell that to the candidates. If there is a game being played, I'm watching and talking about it.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

By starting the discussion this early they hope to gain the momentum in the public discourse and force a lame duck president situation on Obama.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

We just had the longest election campaign in Australia history started by the Australian PM.

It certainly contributed to people's weariness and she was kicked out of office by her own party before it ended.

Long election campaigns irritate people. All talk and promises and no action.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Members thankful for this post (5):

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    Obviously, I have a feeling that a few are going to drop early, my money is on Iowa and NH being close, but favoring Paul.
    Certainly NH favours Paul and Nevada too, but I would be wary of Iowa if I were him. None of the current likely candidates are really looking to appeal to that Evangelical vote that can do so well there (see Huckabee winning comfortably) though the caucus format does naturally suit those like Paul who are likely to have an energised and passionate core following. I would expect a new candidate to rise up running on an evangelical platform in the not too distant future. Really, even an establishment conservative like Bush could have a great deal of success given how beloved George W was amongst that demographic.

Also no way in hell Christie gets the nomination. No. Way. In. Hell. Not conservative enough (at least in popular perception) and seen as too close to Obama.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post

Also no way in hell Christie gets the nomination. No. Way. In. Hell. Not conservative enough (at least in popular perception) and seen as too close to Obama.
    I think that opinions will change dramatically after November.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quite a bit too early for this. Check the fund-raising success/state headquarters staffing set up totals at roughly April in 2015 and you will begin to get a sense of things. Until then, its all moonlight and shadow.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Hopefully between now and then someone new will come along, because I don't like any of what I see.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

A quality, decent frontrunner will emerge, and the Jeb Bush will enter the race and get the nomination thanks to all his moneys and a fear that the only thing that can stop a Clinton legacy is a Bush legacy.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Member thankful for this post:

I have no problem with Jeb. He is experienced, stays away from the fringe, is popular with Hispanics and is not retarded. His last name doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    A quality, decent frontrunner will emerge, and the Jeb Bush will enter the race and get the nomination thanks to all his moneys and a fear that the only thing that can stop a Clinton legacy is a Bush legacy.
    The reasons are not important but I am pretty sure the next POTUS will be Jeb Bush.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    His last name doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    His last name is the same as both the best and worst presidents of my lifetime.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    His last name is the same as both the best and worst presidents of my lifetime.
    W being the best of course.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

No Clintons, no Bushes, please. Let's get some new blood. Dynasties are un-American.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Time you lot had another Adams I think.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No Clintons, no Bushes, please. Let's get some new blood. Dynasties are un-American.
    Not voting for a man because of his name is just as bad as voting for a man because of his name. He is not his brother and he is not his father. Judging him on anything other than merit, that's what is really un-american.

Bush 2016.

I would rather see a Paul or someone not your standard mold politician but the chances of that are about nil. The parties and the press would not allow such a thing.

Mark Twain

Ralph Nader 2016!
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    Ralph Nader 2016!
    Well, this thread only applies to he possible GOP Candidates.

It would be great if a viable third party were put together and not beholden to the two big boys.

We are not likely to see much new from them and their corporate sponsors.

People are not upset enough yet to quite believing their lies and looking for real representation and real solutions to problems.

Everyone thinks Congress and the Government are dumb and doing these things out of shear stupidity.

The honest truth is they do these things to help themselves along with their corporate and special interest backers.

Seems to me they are doing a good job for them while fooling the voting public.

Mark Twain

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Maybe Petreaus will run on a family values/literacy platform
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    Maybe Petreaus will run on a family values/literacy platform
    I think he would be much better as an insurgent candidate.

I'm not too interested in who will win the nomination. I'm more interested in the 2 or 3 psycho fundie whack-jobs that will make an early splash and then fade away, but not before permanantly damaging the GOP brand. Those guys are way more entertaining, and if Clinton looks strong on the other side they will be even more animated.

Weiner - Holder 2016!

ah poop, sorry, wrong party.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Members thankful for this post (2):

There are 6 major networks reporting the news; ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, FOX, & MSNBC. Five of the five show a clear left wing bias and one shows a clear right wing bias. There is really no one reporting the unfiltered facts. There is something very wrong with that. But even dumber is that so many people want to shut down Fox because of its alternative view.

Since they are going to remain biased no matter what we say, why would it be better to have all six telling the same lies? That
    only makes it harder to find the truth. Not that anyone actually does that.

Mark Twain

I see the GOP are taking that "stuck in an echo chamber" analysis thing seriously.

Lemur 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

The "Left" has no American outlet

The "upper middle class white demographic who likes to see stories about poor people, brown people, and poor brown people; all the while still being committed to corporatism" has 4 outlets

There is no left in mainstream America

and even outside the mainstream it's nothing but socially awkward malcontents who know all
    Last edited by Proletariat; 08-19-2013 at 03:50. Reason: too much Australian in the original wording
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Since they are going to remain biased no matter what we say, why would it be better to have all six telling the same lies?
    Whether you like it or hate it, what Fox News is doing is unique. To assert they're playing by the same set of rules as any other mainstream news organization is absurd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast