Thread: PS4 heat dissipation

Ni dieu ni maître! Senior Member a completely inoffensive name's Avatar
    I live on the org, feeding off of what few thanks are tossed at my posts. It is up to you to make sure I don't starve.
    Blog Entries

Default PS4 heat dissipation

Can someone with some tech knowledge explain how the PS4 is packed with beefier hardware, including 8GB of RAM, and yet the PS4 is smaller and slimmer than the Xbox 1 and the gen 7 consoles.

Just from the images I have seen, I can only see vents located on the rear of the console and there are no heat sinks located on the exterior, just a shiny parallelogram plastic box. Am I missing something here?
    In all these papers we see a love of honest work, an aversion to shams, a caution in the enunciation of conclusions, a distrust of rash generalizations and speculations based on uncertain premises. He was never anxious to add one more guess on doubtful matters in the hope of hitting the truth, or what might pass as such for a time, but was always ready to take infinite pains in the most careful testing of every theory. With these qualities was united a modesty which forbade the pushing of his own claims and desired no reputation except the unsought tribute of competent judges.

Default Re: PS4 heat dissipation

There are little gnomes with bags full of ice cubes to run around and cool the components.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Member Furunculus's Avatar

the single most power consuming component, the APU that contains the eight CPU cores and 1152 GPU shaders, is manufavured at .28u, whereas the previous gen began life at .90u.

you can get a much greater transistor density, and frequency, in the same thermal budget.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Member thankful for this post:

Xiahou 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

There aren't any moving parts as I understand, so it shouldn't heat up all that much. I don't get the how&why but we will see when we see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    There aren't any moving parts as I understand, so it shouldn't heat up all that much. I don't get the how&why but we will see when we see it.
    There aren't any moving parts in your average electric kettle either...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Ya, that is why I don't get it. The machine is reported to be very quiet, hardly audible. No idea how they pulled that of given the raw power of it's hardware.

Even bigger mystery, as for now only 4 gb ram can be used, what's up with the other 4.
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-11-2013 at 15:47.

It could have one of those water cooling systems that doesnt need to be cleaned and stuff. My brother has on in his computer and it does a great job of keeping the temp down.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Post Re: PS4 heat dissipation

A bar heater has 'no moving parts' but it still heats up.

Electrons as they move through most materials heat them up. Because in reality the electrons/electrical field is moving.

Heat is the atoms moving around. So pushing an electric-magnetic field through metal causes the atoms to move around. Yes you get a current flow, but you also get heat build up.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 08-15-2013 at 10:10.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Thxforthat, my watercooker says hi as well. With moving parts I mean the hard-drive, the ps4 supposedly uses ultra fast DDR(?)-memory which needs a lot less power, so less heat

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

The faster DDR is tighter packed. So less to travel, faster response and less heat generated as its smaller.

No mechanical moving parts like HD also improves performance and energy use (heat).

I recently got a new work laptop - standard issue
    8GB RAM, 238GB SSD, only thing it's missing is the graphics card. Boots much quicker, is quiet and doesn't want to fry the family jewels when its on my lap.

Love how tech is improving.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.