Poll: From a modder's perspective, which would the best best Early Position for Moors?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Modder's debate - Moorish Starting position - the most ideal one for modders?

Default Modder's debate - Moorish Starting position - the most ideal one for modders?

Real-life situation in Muslim Spain and North Africa around 1080:

As you can see, the Almoravids did not even conquer Al-Andalus (Muslim Spain) until 1086. The original Medieval Total War starts around 1087, so it's realistic to make Al-Andalus part of the Moorish starting provinces. But Medieval 2 Total War starts in 1080. Realistically, the Andalusian taifas should be either rebel provinces or a faction on their own.
    The Almoravids never ruled over Tunisia or Libya. So Medieval Total War did it wrong.

Meanwhile, in Medieval Total War:

(Almohad starting position, 1087 - btw, Almoravids would be most correct. Also, the Almoravid Caliphate never included Tunisia and Libya. As for Algeria, it was limited to only Western Algeria.)

Medieval Total War, XL Mod

(Almoravid starting position, 1087 - in real life, Western Algeria was part of the Almoravid Caliphate)

Medieval 2 Total War:

(Moorish starting position 1080 - in real life, Southern Iberia did not become part of the Almoravid Caliphate until 1086)

So what is the solution?
    Those Southern Iberian cities are rich.
    But let's think game-wise.
    Rebels don't build or recruit. What could prevent Castile or Portugal from conquering them sooner than the Almoravids?
    Nothing. There goes the Reconquista - already ready 300 years before in real life.
    There goes also the balance - the Moors limited to Morocco and Algeria only, rather weak. But in real life, Moors were strong.

So.... any way to find the balance between realism and video game balance/playability?
    Any way to make find a balanced way, without too much immersion breaking?
    Last edited by Hakurei Reimu; 08-13-2013 at 23:28.

Default Re: Modder's debate - Moorish Starting position - the most ideal one for modders?

I'd have to say other, I can't elaborate much now, but as soon as I get back, I will explain.
    Last edited by Ivanthefox; 08-14-2013 at 23:13.
    The Weak Suffer What They Must; The Strong Take All They Can

Default Re: Modder's debate - Moorish Starting position - the most ideal one for modders?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanthefox View Post
    I'd have to say other, I can't elaborate much now, but as soon as I get back, I will explain.
    I'd say other because, I like things to be as historically accurate as can be allowed, but I also like things to be a little bit gamey so I am in between gamey and history. So maybe they can start out with all the territories of history, but also some of a more gamey type to make things balanced.
    Last edited by Ivanthefox; 08-14-2013 at 23:18.
    The Weak Suffer What They Must; The Strong Take All They Can