Thread: Autocombat Effectivness

Default Autocombat Effectivness

I'm playing/am going to play some hotseat campaigns with my friends, and given that we play autocombat only, I wonder which units get extra bonuses in autocombat calculations?
    I know Dismounted knights do, but I wonder are there any more...
    I just don't want to taste the frustration of being pounded by some idiot AI with units 10x worse in real combat.

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Default Re: Autocombat Effectivness

One rule to remember is that in autoresolve, Horse Archers are totally uneffective putting HA factions at a disadvantage...

Another is that the way in which you order your units in your stack also matters.

I found that putting Heavy Cav first, followed by Heavy Infantry then Missile Units produced better results than simply putting them together without order.

Having more than one general in a stack also helps greatly... In autoresolve, Generals are almost unable to kill unless it is a fight to the death (pursuit or siege...) and they'll replenish over time and at no cost, so in my view it is best to lose half a general units than half of any heavy infantry unit.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

You are right about the order of units in stacks, however I do the opposite: put the knights as last units so that they suffer the least losses (as they do)...
    Thanks about the HA info - I actually found out about that myself too!

You can order your units in stacks? Huh, I play Total war for like 12 years, and never tried that.. There is always something to learn!

I think that will prevent the most annoying thing: losing men from my siege machinery with auto-calculation.