Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Lusted's Macedon Campaign Posted

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Default Jack Lusted's Macedon Campaign Posted

Last edited by Lemur; 08-21-2013 at 14:29. Reason: Added image for general awesomeness.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Members thankful for this post (4):

Default Re: Jack Lusted's Macedon Campaign Posted

...and NOBODY in the Hellenic world likes Macedon. :(
    "Après moi le déluge"

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Yeah, good read. Just me or does it seem like the tech advances come thick and fast?

I wonder how much of a culture penalty there will be among the Hellenistic factions? Seems a bit much, converting a farm?!

I was kind of hoping for a video. Must have something to do with being spoiled.

converting a farm?!
    Converting it from growing wheat to processing meat in a gigantic industrial meat processing facility

Wololo ay yooooohoooh.

Shhh haaaww...

Farm converted.

So, nice AAR. The cgi portraits in my honest opinion looks like everybody's face turned into broccoli. The agents turn into pyramid faces with low poly faces.

Game is like I said: Rome one, some S2tw stuff and some new "features". It reserves a seat in the bargain bin for me.

Please make the game be like Humble Bundle so I don't waste too much cash on it plus donating to charity= win.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Member thankful for this post:

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Christmas steam sale will have it 50% off. Depending on what the patch situation is by then, I will make a call.

I'm not watching this, I'll be waiting to play it myself instead of watching someone else do it ;)
    | BUILD YOUR OWN PC FOR ROME 2 | ROME 2 RESEARCH SOCIETY | ROME 2 BENCHMARKING |
    | ROME 2 TOTAL WAR UNOFFICIAL WEBSITE |
    TJ08-E GAMING RIG
    Intel i5 4670K (4.4Ghz @ 1.215v); ASUS Z87 Gryphon; 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro; GTX 780; Corsair AX760i; Noctua NH-U12S; Samsung 840 250GB; WD Black 1TB; Windows 8

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Member thankful for this post:

Good stuff.

Comments:
    - What did happen to the general in installment #1?
    - Would like to see some battlefield screenshots
    - What was that Roman fleet doing off the coast of Appollonia? Sightseeing?
    - I am really having trouble w/ the unit cards as I don't find them at all intuitive in terms of determining unit type. They really suck IMO.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    I'm not watching this, I'll be waiting to play it myself instead of watching someone else do it ;)
    Friend, you don't watch it. You read it.

I also dislike the unit cards, it is too hard to easily identify which unit is which.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

good stuff Jack!

I really like the feature of selecting new generals with their bodyguard. I actually like the UI so far. The unit cards are ok, tho many are not that intuitive, I assume i just takes some time to memorize: the yellow shirt ones are the levy ones.^^

Female Greek spy??! oh well, It's hard enough getting woman into games it might aswell be like this :D
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    good stuff Jack!

I really like the feature of selecting new generals with their bodyguard. I actually like the UI so far. The unit cards are ok, tho many are not that intuitive, I assume i just takes some time to memorize: the yellow shirt ones are the levy ones.^^

Female Greek spy??! oh well, It's hard enough getting woman into games it might aswell be like this :D
    Yes, female spies who use a 'seduction' power. It looks like more sexist drivel to me.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

female spies who use a 'seduction' power.
    on Female spies!

CA, Y U NO MAKE CUTSCENE !?!?!

;)

oh well it's not that far fetched to have a female agent use "seduction". What I find hard to believe is that ancient Greeks(those old machos) would let her out of the house for such tasks, that's a mans daughter you know! Outside sparta Greek women had pretty much no freedoms, women stay at home and boss around the servants(ok they did this in sparta aswell). In the Hellenic world the "outdoors" was not just dominated my men but almost exclusively populated. It's no gamebreaking thing but it's one of the things that I notice.

Ps: I do not intend to sound chauvinist, I'm just talking about ancient greek mentality.
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

If they're going to have seductive female spies, it would only be fair to also have paederastic eromenoi for the same purpose. Though that would probably get the game banned in Australia.

on Female spies!

CA, Y U NO MAKE CUTSCENE !?!?!

;)

oh well it's not that far fetched to have a female agent use "seduction". What I find hard to believe is that ancient Greeks(those old machos) would let her out of the house for such tasks, that's a mans daughter you know! Outside sparta Greek women had pretty much no freedoms, women stay at home and boss around the servants(ok they did this in sparta aswell). In the Hellenic world the "outdoors" was not just dominated my men but almost exclusively populated. It's no gamebreaking thing but it's one of the things that I notice.

Ps: I do not intend to sound chauvinist, I'm just talking about ancient greek mentality.
    Yes, but it would be more realistic to have men use the 'seduce' power, as they had a lot more freedom. It is a lot more realistic in most cultures in most of their games to have male spies who seduce ladies of the court, etc. to get information and get into court (so they are well placed). The fact that they did not have this power till they introduced female spies reeks of sexism.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

realistic yes, but without female generals and female agents it's pretty pointless to have a mle spy running around seducing, tho... no I won't go into that :De

up until now the seducing power of male spies was sort of a background action among others(as sneaking, gossiping, bribing, blackmailing etc) to attain the information provided naturally by the spy.

What offcource reeks of sexism is that the main point of female agents in previous TW games was to seduce generals, be it shoguns Geishas or Medivals Princesses. However this might actually change with R2TW, depending on if the Germanic Dignitary witch lady is capable of seduction.
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

Six posts on the supposed sexism of female agents?!?!?

My god but Sept. 3rd can't get here soon enough.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    Six posts on the supposed sexism of female agents?!?!?

My god but Sept. 3rd can't get here soon enough.
    Not that they are female agents, but how all female agents in every TW game have always been portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Yeah, good read. Just me or does it seem like the tech advances come thick and fast?
    I wanted to reply to this:
    - That does appear to be the case
    - But not sure that actually IS the case as:
    * ETW had tech research based on schools/gentlemen so while you started off slow tech research really tended to go much quicker as some time (and more schools/agents) went by
    * STW2 is similar to the RTW2 approach in the sense that tech was not based on agents/schools - just time
    * But STW2 was 4 turns per year and RTW2 is only 1 so getting a tech after two turns in RTW2 would be the equivelent of 8 turns in STW2
    - ...based on that RTW2 is about on a par I would think.
    Last edited by Barkhorn1x; 08-22-2013 at 21:27.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

realistic yes, but without female generals and female agents it's pretty pointless to have a mle spy running around seducing, tho... no I won't go into that :De
    Not in the Hellenistic world...

Parts III and IV posted. Just use the earlier links and scroll down.

(See what I did there? Yep, "Roman" numerals. It's the little things, ya know? )
    "Après moi le déluge"

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    ... What was that Roman fleet doing off the coast of Appollonia? Sightseeing?...
    They had just declared war on Epirus the previous turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x
    ... Would like to see some battlefield screenshots...
    Yeah, the fact that they're missing kind of worries me. I wanna see what type of armies the AI can field during an actual campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt
    ... I really like the feature of selecting new generals with their bodyguard...
    Me too, cool feature.

I like the general thing as I can specialize my non Roman general to different types of combat roles though the cavalry seems most versatile since you can dismount.

I also like how Romans get a more modern style general more focused on supporting the main formation rather than running around with the other combat units

I also like how Romans get a more modern style general more focused on supporting the main formation rather than running around with the other combat units
    I don't find that logical at all. Generals were mounted prettymuch everywhere, pretty much since the invetion of the chariot. The romans also probably are among the most unequestrian People featured in R2TW.

The only argument I can find for it is that roman generals are cowards, and that's rather polemic.
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

I was not thinking of a general who runs around with combat units and engage in cavalry skirmishes. (Makedonian/Successor Generals) I'm thinking more of run around the main infantry line and provide morale support (Mounted to move faster to wavering locations) and once in a while do some sneaky flank attacks if no units are in the way.

EDIT: I believe all Roman generals are mounted in Rome 2 in the first place as historically many of them were mostly on their horsies. Note that I never mentioned Roman generals on foot. I only say that they are there to support the main infantry line instead of going elsewhere to fight.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 08-25-2013 at 18:33.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

I'm liking everything apart from the unit cards (those will get some getting used to). I'm also getting a feeling that basically every city is it's own minor faction?

Also I can't wait for the day where they will let us play Thrace.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

No rebel faction, it's all like Shogun 2 which is quite nice. They probably optimized turn times too to accommodate the tons of individual factions.

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    No rebel faction, it's all like Shogun 2 which is quite nice. They probably optimized turn times too to accommodate the tons of individual factions.
    One province minors probably don't take up too much processing time. Most of what they do might as well be scripted with no need for AI.

In my Shogun 2 campaign that one province minor turned into a super faction which to me is quite fun.

Happens pretty often too. So I would for the sake of simplicity keep the general CAI but have ai's tailored for specific factions i.e The main ones like Shogun 2.

Don't want CA messing up something else too you know... :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast