Thread: Wireless help needed

Default Wireless help needed

Hello guys,

Ive been having this issue the last few days where my internet connection drops but my wireless connection to the network stays steady. The only way Ive learned to fix it is by disabling and re-enabling my wireless card. This solution is incredibly temporary lasting anywhere from 1 second to 15 minutes. It happens on any wireless network I try to connect to. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this I would be greatful as can be.

Im on an Acer Aspire AS7750G-6662, Win 7 Home Edition 64bit, using a Qualcomm Atheros ARSB97 Wireless card.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Wireless help needed

Just to be clear, this happens on multiple wireless networks? Do other devices stay connected while your laptop drops?

One possibility to check out is under your Power Management options. I believe there's an option to operate the wireless card in low power mode or even turn off the antenna altogether to save power. See if you can find an option similar to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and uncheck it.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

If the connection stays up, then it could be a DNS problem. Try pinging your gateway IP address, once the connection drops and see if it responds.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Just to be clear, this happens on multiple wireless networks? Do other devices stay connected while your laptop drops?

One possibility to check out is under your Power Management options. I believe there's an option to operate the wireless card in low power mode or even turn off the antenna altogether to save power. See if you can find an option similar to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and uncheck it.
    Yes, my problem has occurred on 4 different wireless networks I've tried to connect to. When my internet drops others stay connected. When I'm on my home network my desktop is also wireless and it stays connected while my laptop drops. I went into power management and verified that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by asai View Post
    If the connection stays up, then it could be a DNS problem. Try pinging your gateway IP address, once the connection drops and see if it responds.
    The next time my connection drops I will do just that.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Here's a "fix" from Acer. Worth a shot I guess.

What can I do if the wireless network connection drops and reconnects every few minutes?

Please follow the steps below in order to resolve the issue of the wireless connection dropping and renegotiating every few minutes.

Click on Start and then Control Panel
    In the Control Panel click on Switch to Classic View in the upper left corner if it's available.
    Double click on Network Connections
    Right-click on the icon for the wireless connection and select Properties.
    Click on the Authentication tab.
    Uncheck the checkbox for Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network.
    Click OK on all dialogs that are open to save the settings.

Test and verify that the connection holds.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Uninstall the card, restart the computer and let it reinstall.

update drivers

Check all the TCIP settings are on "auto".

That's all I can think of, short of cracking the case open.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]