Thread: Optimization ?

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Optimization ?

The Turkish forums (inarguably most reasonable discussion environments) are crawling with "this game was supposed to be 'highly optimized' as claimed by CA but !!2&%/^/!)&+" comments.

What do you think of the optimization of the game in general ? People are suggesting that there are comparably worse rigs running the game more smoothly than those better over them and also the owners of newer rigs think that they are getting worse FPS than their rigs were able to provide.

Thoughts ?

Default Re: Optimization ?

My specs are:

Intel Core i7 3610QM @2.3 GHz
    Nvidia GTX 675M
    8GB DDR3 (2x4GB)
    Forceware 326.80 BETA drivers

and I get an average of 15 FPS in "forest" benchmark on Extreme settings while a friend on the latest WHQL drivers with the rig: i5 2500k@ 4,2Ghz ve gtx 560 ti claims to be playing the game at the very same Extreme settings without any noticable lags or gfx bugs.

I have an i5 760 @ 2.8ghz
    4 gb ram
    NVIDIA GTX 460
    WIN 7

The forest benchmark reported 25 fps. The video setup defaulted to extreme in just about every category. Thus far the tutorial campaign has looked good. I did dial back shadows because I didn't care for the way they dithered around.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

interesting...

I have a i7 (cant remember the exact model right now (at work))
    12gb DDR3 ram
    Nvidia GTX 680 (4gb memory)
    Win 8

I have been getting terrible fps in battles...

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    I have an i5 760 @ 2.8ghz
    4 gb ram
    NVIDIA GTX 460
    WIN 7

The forest benchmark reported 25 fps. The video setup defaulted to extreme in just about every category. Thus far the tutorial campaign has looked good. I did dial back shadows because I didn't care for the way they dithered around.
    So optimization problem is not really far-fetched.

Could you write down your graphics driver version as well please, @Nelson?

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

My game froze up about 100 turns into my first campaign as the Romans. I decided to swing by the official forums and see what types of issues were being reported. It seems that there are freeze and CTD issues with most users indicating AMD processors and/or ATI GPUs. I myself run a high end combo AMD/ATI setup. As far as optimization, my first battle involving more than 20 combined units caused my PC to run so hot it shut down, which is disconcerting when I run every other game I play at max graphics setting and have never had an issues before. I changed the battlefield graphics setting to Very High and haven't had any more issues with that.

On the Campaign map side, I thought it looked good, but not great. After reading the official forums a bit, there seems to be a bug that is preventing ATI GPUs from rendering the campaign map at Extreme despite the graphics settings. I've also noticed that the end of turn process can take up to 2 minutes once you've reached 120+ turns. I upgraded to an ATI beta driver that seems to have sped things up but still has some graphical twitches and pauses.

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

From what I've read on TWC and the official forum:
    - Extreme level is boned- play on Ultra.
    - Shadows are poorly implemented - I set 'em to Low and am enjoying an FPS boost and the sun.
    - Optimized? As if! It is absurd to think that CA let this game ship in this state and did not know it
    - Finally, I am only 3 turns in to a Roman campaign and have experienced latency and small freezes on the Camp. map when leveling up/checking army scrolls etc. and that is just unacceptable

Oh, and I too have an AMD/ATI combo so I guess I have something to look forward to around turn 100, huh?
    "Après moi le déluge"

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I have an Intel CPU and AMD GPU, and the campaign map is a dog on my rig as well. The transparency effects and animations on the opening and closing of windows are the opposite of smooth.

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Important official links regarding Optimization:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...p-PLEASE-READ?

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ng-on-Extreme?

I had to laugh at this line:

Currently if you look at the notes in the drivers you download as of right now from either Nvidia or AMD's main sites you will realize that Neither of them actually support Rome 2 officially.
    Really CA? You knew about this and just - what? -forgot to tell us prior to release? Unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!
    "Après moi le déluge"

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    So optimization problem is not really far-fetched.

Could you write down your graphics driver version as well please, @Nelson?
    I'm using NVidia driver version 311.06. Not the latest and greatest, I'm sure.

I've only played for 3 hours and haven't fought any really large battles. Shogun2 has always been quite smooth and while Rome2 hasn't been perfection it has been altogether acceptable thus far.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Campaign is running really choppy here as well. Everything else is fine and defaulted to extreme for some reason.

-E- Also, co-op campaign is unplayable at times because the campaign map simply grinds to a halt.
    Last edited by Sp4; 09-04-2013 at 23:59.

The prevailing feedback right now is that the game is definitely poorly optimized (besides the bugs). That's why we're seeing such inconsistency among user reports as well, some modest systems seem to run it fine, while others with super computers are having serious issues.

I'm currently running it on an Athlon II x4 630 @ 3.4Ghz, Gforce 9600GT 1Gb GDDR3 (driver 314.22), 4Gb DDR2 800 SDRAM, 300Gb SATAII Raptor... my system was maybe average 5 years ago! I probably have no right to even be playing this game on this hardware, and yet I'm getting 22.6 FPS on the benchmark @ 1080x1920 with -> AA- On > Texture Quality - Ultra > AF x4 > Shadows - Low > Water - High > Sky - High > Shader Model 4 > Particle Effects - High > Veg Alpha - Off > Unit Size - Ultra > Unit Details - Extreme > Building Details - Ultra > Trees - High > Grass - High > Terrain - High > Depth of Field - Off and no extra effects ticked.

22 turns into the campaign and no serious issues yet, but I'm still tweaking the settings. I believe the game limits the texture quality depending on your available VRAM no matter your settings if you don't check the Unlimited Video Memory setting and delete a log file that's written in an AppData directory.

Wow that is impressive for a PC of that age!

Once Rome 2 gets optimized....
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

LEN, Im actually running the same processor that you are with a worse graphics card and less RAM and I can run it on high-ultra with no lag whatsoever.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore