Thread: First Impressions

Cool First Impressions

Very quite on the MP side here at theorg

Anyway

Plus points,

1) Matchmaking works & seems to be a lot more reliable than when Shogun 2 Launched.

2) The game in general seems to load faster.

3) I quite like the zoom outable tactical map.

4) Wide variety of unit choice is good.

5) The colour coding around the unit banners works once you have got used to it.

6) Lots of Map choice

7) Upgradable ranks for the units like in the old games with no Avatar, everyones back on a level playing field in that respect.

8) Debug Camera available to all.

9) Mre game types ie Ambush.

Negatives

1) No unit stats post battle like we had in Shogun 2 really miss those.

2) A fair bit of lag atm normally fixed by lowering resolutions or setting to Direct X9.

3) Balancing definately needs some work, missiles in particular seem underpowered atm.

Feel free to add/discuss.
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: First Impressions

The game in a nutshell.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tjzd5ilKzMM
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

i think its one more disappointment.
    a small collection of strong units still appears to have an advantage over a larger, more balanced army, wich kills tactcal depth.

oversight is also bad. despite the beautiful graphics. unit cards are hard to tell appart.

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    Ridiculous. No unit maxes or prohibitive cost increases?

I should be upset.

But I lol'd.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

You could spartan spam in Rome 1 just fine. Why dish out 80 euros for Rome 2 to do that? I guess for the graphics... Do the germans have Berzerkers? Just for the lolz I'd go and spam a fullstack of upgraded berzerkers and wreck the spartan spammers if it were possible.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

typical..they still cant get it right...bought the game but yet to even look at it for most part..their track record since orriginals is dismal at best...would recommend the orriginall games to friends...the new ones l don't even mention..

From the perspective of a nub

I played my very first multiplayer match yesterday. I used Sparta because the 60 hours I have invested in this game so far has all come from my Sparta Campaign. I rolled with 5 Spartan Pikemen, 1 Citizen Cav, and the rest Royal Spartans. Played a guy who used Arverni, and won all of our engagements pretty handily. Unfortunately, that resulted in me getting called every name in the book, and the guy running to all 4 corners of the map with his remaining units with 3 min left to force a draw.

I only played a few matches after that, but my review would be:

The chat is quite possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I would love to have a "Recent Players" list. Some people were cool, and I would have liked to pair up or discuss what went on afterwards.But unless you add them to your friends list during the fight they're gone. The whole process really feels like there's no community, and it's just solo anonymous queuing.

Pacing of the battles seems nice. Never felt too slow or too quick. The quality of opponents I faced also felt right. I never got anyone that blew me out of the water and vice versa.Overall I thought the gameplay itself was pretty solid. Balance wise I won't comment, but I would like to see hoplites changed. They're very similar to Yari Samurai IMO. I wish we had victory points again like in Shogun 2 for people that can't handle the traumatizing humiliation of negative internet points.

All and all like the rest of the game it feels kinda rushed. I'm not going to get into a rant about things not working that's not what I meant. What I'm trying to say is that, it's a very simple barebones multiplayer system. If you were to look at Shogun 2's multiplayer versus Rome 2's multiplayer you'd think Rome 2 came before Shogun 2. Veteran system aside hopefully we'll get things like profiles, stats and a little bit of customization back. A little fluff is good.
    Last edited by Spoonska; 09-09-2013 at 16:05.
    I like to stream

I suggest to spam more pikes and use that 1 cav unit to chase down the enemy trying to kite.

If you win the main engagement you should lock down the whole map and run in order to prevent a draw.

Though as of now I'd suggest sticking to SP till CA somewhat fixes up the MP.

I already know so much about the game without even playing it. XD
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 09-10-2013 at 00:58.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Haven't played MP yet because I don't want to be a nooblet due to the new controls. But in the custom battles screen I can see some limitations: elephants and chariots are limited to 2 per army for example.

Also, Parthia has IMO the best roster out there, followed by Rome, Egypt, Macedon, Epirus and Carthage. The Suebi have some pretty badass looking melee infantry and I think they can grind down pike spammers (haven't tried it yet).

If push comes to shove and all you see are pikemen just spam pretorians with armour upgrades. In Rome 1, Urbans could charge right through any pike/spear unit and grind their faces in with their gladii.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Nope, got more pikes and pike wall can easily counter Praetorian spam in numbers and fighting ability.

Parthia is currently useless when their archers don't have enough arrows and do nothing while the Cataphracts easily lose to Averni Nobles.

Under a decent player nothing beats pike spam, Sparta has the most cost efficient pikes in Rome 2 and if you play as them that's the way.

The other top builds are all heavy infantry spam.

Blog Entries

Well, the important notice at first. I got a free copy, as I promised not to buy another CA product and wasting my hard earned money.

Its okay. Im not surprised, CA cant get a proper betatesting done. There seems to be always the same people testing, with almost always the same silly ideas of how a game should be.
    The result we see, heavy infantry overload. Im a bit surprised, that after so many games, its still again without max unit (of a type) or penalties... I guess, they like to make the same mistakes each and every time.

The game "behave" and feel okay, the controlling seems not to be a big problem. ( I didnt tested it too much)
    As Spoon said, the missles are too weak and the balance ist the typical CA problem. I guess, that we see a big patch end of November and a small patch in Januar.

This is a SP game and even so we have some MP people left, the game never will be a MP game.
    I accepted it and wont waste anymore of my time. Its okay, probably some fun as well, but the tactical deepness ist had once, we wont see anymore.

If you remember the 2000 Shogun, it was the same problems with a lot less units, the insane balance of Monks and guns. Today we see it once more, other units, same story.

Koc

Currently slingers are a little too useful, I'd wait for balance patches before playing MP.

TW releases imo always feel like they're lack luster and when gold edition is released the game finally feels like a v1.0 to me. Plus usual popular titles get discounted just months after release (Bioshock, Shogun 2, etc) so it's good to wait and let others "beta test" the game instead so you won't face the same frustrations hopefully.

It's the same old just to different degrees in each game on release and for around a year as said above. Same old exploits, same old bugs, same old, oh my... When will CA improve on these matters, I have no clue. It's getting quite tiresome I think for everybody imo.

I agree with Alqamar's MP review: 4/10 They cut out some neat or useful features i.e global chat, free for all, etc. Then add in a map generator. Just super barebones MP with the same old balance issues. Sad but it's true.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 10-13-2013 at 00:48.

Vlixes 

fps reduce for me