Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome 2 Patches, Hotfixes, Betas and Such (patch 17 live!)

Default Re: Patches, Hotfixes, Betas and Such

I think you hit part of the nail. Shogun 2 for a vanilla game was quite immersive and had that fun gamey factor to it. (I honestly liked realm divide, a real Total War)

The units felt unique though limited in numbers, I really just don't know what makes the game addictive. I still got to try out some mods for it too.

Here's hoping for a complete Rome 2 later on. Don't know about you guys but the map to me feels pretty tiny compared to Rome 1 mods, Med 2 mods, or Empire.

Also, people might like it as in Rome 2 as the CA devs said, they want it to be more sandbox like. That might explain why some people like it; the ability to mould Antiquity to your likings. Plus what seems to be a less challenging ai who wants to be your vassal. (CA can't win eh? XD)

Though if one likes sandbox I don't think TW is the right choice.

Though of course I hope the game gets well patched and supported before moving on as Rome is CA's most iconic game.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 09-10-2013 at 19:56.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    This is am not so sure about

I'm not a programmer type so I don't know if things like unit blob in melee combat, or the apparent lack of a meaningful family tree, and of course the brain-dead AI, can be fixed with patching. I'm surprised you've made no mention of the capture-the-flag fiasco...if that feature is not removed from field battles, I'm afraid you will never see any R2 AAR's from ReluctantSamurai
    If not patches, perhaps expansions?

All I can say is, I'm really looking forward to EBII regardless if Rome II pans out.
    Last edited by fallen851; 09-11-2013 at 07:23.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Total War: Rome2 AI standalone expansion pack
    Remove battle cap point DLC
    Grouping buttons that work DLC
    Unit balance that makes combat work DLC (order now & get free charging unit AI DLC)
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Report: I managed to play an hour last night with the 1.5 beta patch. It made a huge difference in terms of campaign map lag and general performance. Seems like some programmer somewhere in CA has his or her head screwed on correctly.

Only tested campaign elements, (no time for a serious battle) but there was big improvement. I can only hope this is the beginning of a good trend.

Members thankful for this post (2):

New patch is out, build number v1.0.0 6955454492, 'bout the same size as the previous.

Unfortunately, so far I can't echo Lemur's experience with improved campaign map lag from the beta. I'm still getting it whenever I select a character and their movement area gets highlighted. Will test further and see if I notice any improvements elsewhere...

Funnily enough I started getting campaing map lag yesterday. The map would freeze up roughly every 10 to 15 secondes no matter what I did. Luckily downloading the latest BETA drivers for my graphics card fixed the issue. I had wanted to do that anyway, as a friend gave me his old ATI 5750. It's old I know, but with the new drivers the battles were smooth as well. This is on low settings though.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

I tested last night w/ the beta patch and two things that gave me huge lag
    - strat map transition
    - diplomacy map transition

...are now much improved and off my annoyance list.

So, for me at least, so far so good.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Pre 2nd patch the worst issue I had was randomly my diplomacy screen would open and some of the buttons would freeze and be unclickable. Sometimes I would have to restart the program as there was no way for me to click out of the diplomacy screen. I kept trying to recreate that issue by repeatedly opening the diplomacy screen post patch and so far no issues in any of my saved campaigns. I cant speak to any improvement in lag as I didnt really have any issues there.

Glad to hear that some people are seeing improvements. It sounds like CA is getting a little traction with this 2nd patch; I hope it continues.
    Last edited by JeromeBaker; 09-12-2013 at 18:39.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hah! Have a crash every time i personally fight the siege of Tarraco since the patch... Not sure what happened. Not sure if it would have happened without the patch. Playing as Carthage
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Patch 2 is now in beta on steam. Now this is what I call a patch.

Here are the patch notes for Total War: ROME II- Patch 2 ('''CURRENTLY IN BETA''' as of 13/09/2013):

Code:
    '''Warning: Your current Save Games will work with Patch 2, but Save Games created or overwritten in Patch 2 will be incompatible with previous versions of Total War: ROME II.'''

'''Technical and Performance Issues'''

*Campaign performance optimisations.
    *Campaign AI round time improvements (greatest effect during early game). 
    *A new "Limited" option has been added to the "Show AI Player Moves" settings in Single Player an Multiplayer Campaign modes, this enables the player to see all movement of enemy factions, all movement within the players regions, and all movement within sea that the player has ports in during the AI turns.
    *Improved AI recruitment decisions in Campaign modes. Further improvements planned for subsequent patches.
    *Pathfinding optimisation on the Campaign Map. 
    *Fix for "Level of Detail" distances scaling incorrectly when the "Field of View" is changed which reduces the chance of the "Intelligent Zoom" [N] key, causing "zombie like” low quality textures on unit faces in battles. 
    *A new warning message has been added to loading screen to inform the player when graphics memory is running low, and the game is downgrading the players graphics settings. This can be overriden, allowing the game to use system memory for graphics (VRAM) by ticking the "Unlimited video memory" option in the graphics menu.
    *Increased the frame rate and reduced frame stuttering in battles on certain GPUs.
    *Improved compatibility for graphics cards with multiple GPUs.
    *Added earlier Multiplayer Campaign resyncronisation detection, upon loading save games which allows resyncronisation in more cases. 
    *More conservative out-of-the-box graphics settings and resolution for DirectX 10 and 11 on Mobile GPUs
    *Improved the processing speed of the default deployment placement, reducing battle loading times on some battle maps.
    *Fixed battle crash bug caused by the default deployment placement.
    *Crash fix for when the player placed the mouse over a garrison force of a region in Campaign mode.
    *Fix for crash loading save games that were created on the "settlement captured" screen in Campaign modes.
    *Fix for a crash when holding the [SHIFT] and [CTRL] keys down, and selecting a unit card, when no unit cards where previously selected in Campaign and Battle modes.
    *Fix for crash caused by forming a Confederation in Campaign modes.
    *Some desyncronisations have been fixed in multiplayer city / port assault battles.
    *Crash fix for when multiple AI reinforcements arrive in a single player siege battle in Campaign mode.
    *Fix for crash when selecting Custom Battle mode after fighting several different Multiplayer battles.
    *Fix for a crash in 4v4 custom or multiplayer battles caused by the battle AI.
    *Fix for crash when cancelling a game request for a password protected game whilst in a Multiplayer battle lobby.
    *Fix some crashes in multiplayer campaign mode, when one player quit the game,  it would cause the other player to crash.
    *Fixed a Multiplayer crash which happened when a client joined a lobby and was being allocated to the wrong slot.
    *Fix for a very rare crash when launching a new campaign.
    *Fixed rare battlefield loading lockup.
    *Fix for a rare crash caused by animal handlers in battles.
    *Fix for crash that happens when AI unit triggers raise banner special ability when no human units are selected in battles.

'''Gameplay Improvements'''
    *Reduced infantry run speed, charge speed and acceleration in battles.
    *The low level casualty moral penalties have been significantly reduced in battles.
    *Improved balancing for Food and Squalor in Campaign Mode.
    *Campaign AI is more likely to make a stand when defending its final settlement, but may still seek out another home, if they fear losing the final battle.
    *Encampments battles are no longer incorrectly merged with Coastal battles, which lead to forts floating in the air when a friendly navy reinforced an army in the Fortification stance.
    *Improved ship movement speeds in battles.
    *Shock cavalry run speed and charge speed have been increased in battles.
    *Increased flanking morale penalties.
    *Added icons to indicate activity in the Technology and Faction screens during a campaign.
    *Fix for the boarding/ramming button which showed the incorrect state in certain circumstances in battles.
    *Fix for a bug that sometimes made it impossible to exchange units between a transported land force and another land force on the Campaign map.
    *Fix for armies on the sea getting stuck in patrol stance in Campaign modes.
    *Fixed splitting an embedded army from a navy which sometimes caused the player to get stuck in the Prologue Campaign.
    *Some missions in single player and multiplayer Campaign have been fixed and now execute correctly.
    *When a settlement is captured via a siege battle, with a friendly naval fleet blockading its port, the ownership of the port is now changed correctly to the friendly navy fleet on capture.
    *Fix for AI taking inappropriate sized siege equipment into battle when the user changed the settlement wall height, via the map selection settings, in Custom Battle mode.
    *Fix for defending armies under AI control grouping together at the edge of their deployment zone, during Ambush battles when the player choses to wait before attacking them.
    *Improved AI and scripting in the Raphia Historical Battle.
    *Fixed a bug preventing the player from progressing in The Invasion of Samnium prologue chapter, if they had spent all of their funds before being instructed to recruit a General (and therefore having no funds to do so).
    *The Attribute increases for an agent accompanying an army now activate its associated effects on the general of that army in Campaign modes.
    *Improved AI collision detection with Deployables in battle.
    *In Multiplayer Campaign mode, one player can no longer cancel recruitment during the other players turn.
    *The order of events leading up to the Battle of Bovianum in the prologue have been re-scripted. The player now gets multiple turns to construct siege equipment.
    *Fixed issues with not enough time being given for certain advisor lines to play in different languages in the prologue.
    *Fix for units floating in the air while climbing siege towers in battle, when the tower is placed on a slope.
    *Attacking siege ladders will no longer clip through the gate house in the siege on Bovianum battle during The Invasion of Samnium chapter in Prologue Campaign.
    *The victory screen in Multiplayer Campaign mode now shows the correct title for both players.
    *The Basilica of Vulcan religious building  now applies the correct bonus to recruitment cost reduction in Campaign Mode.
    *Added level indicators to the Sanctuary of Austro & Sanctuary of Fraujaz shrines in Campaign mode and the Encyclopaedia.
    *Fix for settlement expansion trapping / blocking units movement on the campaign map in very rare cases.
    *Improved the terrain in a small Barbarian city battle map.
    *Minor bug fixes for Roman and Barbarian siege battle maps.
    *During battles, players are no longer able to un-pause the game while in the options menus.

'''Usability improvements'''

*In Campaign mode, exempting a province from tax will no longer incorrectly adjust the food number in the province info panel left side of the screen.
    *Improved multiplayer lobby discovery, reducing the chance of finding *multiplayer lobbies with the wrong battle type.
    *Removed the red tint from the sky in battles.
    *Fix for "Rome Wasn't Built in a Day" achievement failing to unlock when its requirements were met in some situations.
    *The "Quaestor" achievement should now unlock correctly, when completing the Prologue campaign
    *Fixed the inability to select the previous faction, when an army is automatically loaded due to a battle type change during battle setup.
    *Improved the clarity of stats displayed for Slaves Economic Effect when placing the mouse over "Slaves" in the Province Details panel on the Campaign map.
    *Fix for rare cases of broken save games in Campaign mode.
    *Fix for Campaign mode bug, where a hostile agent and the players' ship became stuck in the same position, with neither one able to move.
    *Fix for very rare agent pathfinding issue, which caused the game progression to become impossible in Campaign modes. 
    *Removed the ability to loading the wrong type of units into a battle from a saved army pre-set in Custom Battle mode.
    *In Multiplayer battle setup, unit restrictions related to "Battle type" are no longer desynchronised between the host and client, so only the correct units can be chosen.
    *Defending armies in an Ambush Battle can no longer load an army containing *Fixed Artillery and other Siege Equipment.
    *Fixed the tooltip displayed when placing the mouse over the garrison in enemy settlements, while the settlement is under siege.
    *The Public Order "Change per turn" stat is now displayed as the sum of all of its "Contributing Factors" on the Province Info panel in Campaign mode.
    *Right-clicking on the Aggressive, Balanced and Protective stance buttons when Autoresolving a battle in campaign mode will now take the player to the Encyclopedia, where these stances are explained in more detail.
    *More detailed descriptions added to the tooltips for the "Occupy,  Loot and Raze" buttons after successfully capturing a settlement on the Campaign map.
    *Improved icons for Province Effects in Campaign mode.
    *Fixed an error with uploading stats when a multiplayer battle was ended prematurely.
    *The "Force March" movement effect on the campaign map (looks like a whirlwind) are now correctly removed from the screen when the AI move their army.
    *Correction to the Assault Hexeres unit card in the Parthia faction during battles, which had no colour mask and appeared black.
    *The buttons to change pages in the Leaderboards menu have been fixed, so more players can be seen on the Leaderboards.
    *The Provinces list in Campaign mode can now be scrolled with the mouse wheel.
    *Units in a recruitment queue, in a province with its capital under siege, now have an "infinity sign" icon to indicate that the "turns to recruit" is infinite while the siege is maintained in Campaign mode.
    *In the "Controls" menu under the "Settings" option in the main menu, when the player modifies the keyboard controls, and saves them,  the new name for these controls is now replaces the "Classic Total War" name.
    *Added a tooltip to say "Left-click to remove unit from recruitment queue" for units that are queued for hire in Campaign mode.
    *Added a tooltip to make ruined buildings more obvious in Campaign mode.
    *Added tooltips to "Weather" and  "Time of Day" settings in the Custom Battle menu.
    *Fixes and corrections for text in the encyclopaedia have been made.
    *Minor text and grammar corrections in Campaign Modes.
    *Fix for some German text not fitting into the available text space in the campaign mode user interface.
    *Improved text formatting in the Objectives panel in Campaign mode.
    *Added some localisation text fixes for French, Italian, German, Spanish, Czech, Russian, Polish and Turkish.
    *Fixed some missing text on the Diplomacy screen in Campaign modes.
    *Added white outline to Armoured Legionaries unit cards in battle.
    Last edited by Spoonska; 09-13-2013 at 15:39.
    I like to stream

Members thankful for this post (5):

Oh my, that is indeed an improvement!

If CA rolls more of these patches out I'll be happy.

Yeah, that's a pretty substantive patch. Good stuff.

Time to take the plunge, Broski....you know you want to...

Member thankful for this post:

@Bram

I'll take it when there's a sale or Gold edition as always, I have no urge as of now to try out the game again.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 09-15-2013 at 14:23.

Now that's a meaty patch!!! Beta here I come.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Very excited to test out this new patch, though I might wait until Radious updates his mod, which he said will be soon.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Have downloaded the beta Patch 2 and have spent the last couple of hours playing with it.

Visible improvement.

The graphics adjustment and limited-AI-moves features are helpful. The AI turn does seem to be a little faster, but that might be psychological, as at least I don't have to watch a bunch of irrelevant client-state units just wander about their territory. Overall, the game just feels more stable.

UI-wise, some nice (albeit small) additions. The 100-order provinces display their public order surplus instead of just 0, so it's a lot easier to see at a glance how much room you have to play with if you want to make some building changes. The tech tree button now displays #turns remaining to research current tech.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Nice, thanks for the update. Anything else you noticed was improved?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I wonder what does the limited ai moves feature do? Could you perhaps explain it?

Bunch of good changes here.
    Small things making nice differences.
    Only fought 1 battle yet, was pretty straightforward so not sure if it really felt better but I like the sounds of the slower movement, better morale etc.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    I wonder what does the limited ai moves feature do? Could you perhaps explain it?
    It seems you only see moves on the campaign map in your neighbouring territories, rather than with the full 'follow AI' setting where you see all moves made across the map wherever you have trade routes/allies, which could get quite time consuming when added on to the already long turn times.

At least that's been my experience of it so far at least. It's a decent compromise in my opinion. Initial AI turn times are much quicker too in the campaign I restarted than previously - I'm not sure I'll get to finish one at the rate the patches are being deployed, so this is a good way of trying out each faction I guess.

As for the rest of the patch, the most striking thing I've noticed was the improved look of battles, which surprised me because I thought they looked good already - I still think the killing speed needs to be slowed down a bit, and the morale buffed a bit as well to keep the battles going on longer. The other little UI tweaks are welcome too as Bramborough said. I wasn't suffering from any game-stopping performance issues or crashes that got fixed so I can't really comment on them.

All in all, this is a very good beta patch - I'm looking forward to see what things they address next.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I experience a few CTDs during AI movement. Expect this to be better in the official release.
    Status Emeritus

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Happy they are actually patching the game, but it didn't take long for them to abandon the weekly patches... CA seems incapable on actually thinking out making a statement before making it, resulting in an inability to follow through.

Hopefully they won't abandon the idea of patching the game to reflect player feedback too.
    Last edited by fallen851; 09-15-2013 at 17:54.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Hopefully it means the stuff they want to patch now takes longer than a week to fix v0v

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    Zatoichi pretty much nailed it. Removes the moves of clients/allies, as well as movement of units in view of your trade routes. Preserves the view of enemies' moves, as well as the movement of any units within your own territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Nice, thanks for the update. Anything else you noticed was improved?
    Lol not yet...took a 2-day break for football games. I could talk a bit about Bama-A&M or the Seahawks, but I guess that'd be outside the forum scope....

Patch 2 has been released - apparently there are no changes from the beta patch released last week.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    Patch 2 has been released - apparently there are no changes from the beta patch released last week.
    ...and I guess if you d/l'd the beta then you are up to date as there were no d/ls waiting for me this morning.
    "Après moi le déluge"

The patch has significantly decreased end of turn wait times

In SP yes. In MP it's still like 4 or 5 minutes.

Wow, this patch really improved gameplay for me! Especially regarding end-of-turn time. Cut from about 5(?) min to around 1, which is quite Ok.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast