Thread: Multiplayer Campaign

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Default Multiplayer Campaign

Hello,

I am very inteestd in the Multiplayer Campaign, finally we have one.

I tried with friends, at the moment it seems unstable we are losing Synch very often and games abort.

I understand the Patches will attempt to fix things with more priority than the Multiplayer aspects of the game first, and I am fine with it. can be patient, yet hope at one point Multiplayer Campaign will be improved as well.

Question:

One thing that is not clear (and I have not been able to find any info about it), is the difference between "Head ot Head" or "Co-OP" modes...

Wishlist:

I hope, at one point we can have more than 2 player Campaigns...I remmeber...many years ago playing other turn based games with 8 players, such as Master of Orion II, and it have been something like more than 15 years ago ...

So I hope that, at one point TW series will really offer that kind of Experience, even if it has traditionally been Solo Campaign game.

That is about it for now, from me. any insight from anyone welcome.

Cheers!
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Default Re: Multiplayer Campaign

I found the answer for Head to Head or Coop Modes, in the in game Encyclopedia>Manual>Multiplayer.

Coop sounds interesting :P

Head to Head, I am assuming the Players can do normal Diplomacy and Ally or go to war with one another. (it is not explicitly specified).

Now all the remains is more Multiplayer Stability.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

I think in head to head, you stay at war with who you are playing with. That's how it worked in Shogun 2.

Oh I see, thanks Sp4, I never did a Shogun 2 Multiplayer Campaign

Still having sync issues in Rome II

Waiting for more patches in that regards.

Yet I think, it would be nice if in head to head it worked as normal with ability to wage war or forge alliance between players, full diplomacy like with the AI.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

I have lots of synch issues with someone while everything is working fine with someone else. The one that is working fine though is the vanilla game and the one that is having synch issues is with using mods though, so I am not surprised.

I just got around to trying out the Multiplayer Campaign and have to say that I am really impressed by it. I started a coop campaign with my brother, where he played the Macedonians and I played Sparta. We nevere encountered synchronization issues. I had two crashes, but I also get them in Single Player, so they are probably not Multiplayer specific. I think they put a lot of very nice touches into the Multiplayer Campaign:

- You can paint Red Arrows, Blue Lines, and Green Lines with a T everywhere on the Campaign Map and the Battle Map. This is really nice if you want to coordinate movement on the map and want to show something during the battles, when you are spectacting. The fade after some time and work really well.
    - You can spectate every battle your coop partner has. As an added bonus your coop partner can gift some of his units to your control. It's really fun to fight a combined battle where one of you runs around with the cavalry to outflank, while the other has control of the main battle line.

All in all I had a lot of fun with it and will continue further. The only downside right now is the performance. We both have PCs that are two to three years old and it shows! The loading time between turns is only as long as in Single Player but it drags on seemingly forever. Also during large battles on the campaign map the performance can get really bad due to the spectator thing. We did a combined assault on Athens, with one army each and everybody was moving in slow-motion.

We're still trying around with who hosts the campaign and whether this has any effect on the performance issues. Unfortunately we haven't figured out yet how you can swith hosts in the middle of the campaign.

All in all I really like the Multiplayer Campaign and think it's a wonderful feature!
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

I don't think the speed at which the MP campaign runs has anything to do with the computers the players are using. Most of it seems to be network/synchronisation related.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Wow, this sounds awesome. Who wants to setup a MP game with me over the weekends? I'm on the Athens (GMT +2) timezone.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

I'd be available some of the time I think. I have yet to pick out a faction I like to play though XD Oddly enough both of my longest campaigns so far are as Rome, one in SP and one in MP.

I have been playing a multipler game with my brother, and it is great. Besides some strange hitching and weirdness when the AI takes their turn and you watch them (sometimes boats go very..very..slow), it runs well, we don't crash or time out.

The ability to plan together is fantastic, and the divying up of your units makes it a blast to play the battles through. I generally run the cav because that is my strength (support cav, not at all good in full cav armies) and he sets the rest of the army. Good times.

We have played Averni and Iceni, found the confederacy options and completely overused it, opened too many fronts without being prepared and got run through.

So we started Athens and Sparta. We are not very far into it yet, but it is a completely different experience.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

I have a head-to-head campaign going on now, and it has been fairly stable. Two crashes in about 60 turns. One happened because my friend attacked an AI army in forced march stance that was stuck between two rivers. In that case, the system is unable to render the battlefield and crashes during the battle setup, but this happens also in SP campaigns. Another crash we had was due to my friend's system not being able to hand some effect during a battle.

We have a head-to-head campaign but we're not really playing for defeating the other player ASAP. We mostly play this so we can be the brains behind the AI in our battles while we build up our own empires. Has been great fun so far. As my friend says: the campaign plays out very differently from his SP experience. He is losing way more troops even in small skirmishes than he is used to when playing against the AI. I've had my share of battlefield surprises too.

By the way, a head-to-head campaign does not start in a default war with the other player. The campaign starts neutral. Once we even allied with each other. While we were allied we could not play the AI side in battles: just spectate. Once we canceled the alliance, we could play as the AI again.

This leads me to a question for the players who play a coop. Is it possible to get out of that default starting alliance?

I'm back to TW, primarily because of the co-op. Wanted that for forever.

Started a few games with a buddy, just to get a feel for if/how it works. And it did. For a while. Sooo very promising! On the what, 4th or 5th game, when we went past about 6-7 turns, we get the crashes/hangs after battles.

Hoping the patch downloading as I type fixes this.

Per the summary, " The Post-battle loading screens for Custom/ Multiplayer battles are now interactive, after load so the player can see kills/losses of other armies in battle." Wondering if that's the fix.

PS. Hello again The Org!