Thread: Capture points on battlefields

Desperately Seeking Tamworth Member Ethelred Unread's Avatar

Default Capture points on battlefields

I read on the rock paper shotgun forums that the capture points on normal battles don't appear if you select the battle realism mode.

Also that they are meant to represent baggage train & the battles are:

- when attacking a besieging force.
    - when your army on "forced march" is attacked.

Which makes sense if extremely badly implemented.

I'm away from my PC now, but can any verify the Battle Realism bit?
    "The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials"

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Capture points on battlefields

I'm playing Legendary so BR is on by default for me. I only ever saw a capture point in the tutorial and when I siege assault. Also, I'm very careful with forced march.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

As someone who isnt playing on BR, I can say that Ive seen a capture point on all of the open field battles Ive played. I think it was because the enemy army was on forced march, as the capture point was on their side of the battlefield and I had to take it.

Unfortunately though, I dont know if thats true, as one of the mods I have deletes the spinning circle animation that would be underneath an army if it was on forced march...
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

I am not playing on battle realism, and aside from siege battles, the only times I've seen a capture point during an open field battle are:

1) When a fortified camp is attacked (though I really wish it gave the defender an option as to where the damned camp was located), and
    2) when a siege defender sallied, the attacker had a capture point to guard

I have never seen one otherwise. However, I also have never been involved in a combat with any army that was on forced march.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

My CP in the tutorial was because I had fortified. I still need to fight more field battles, 99% of mine end up siege assaults or siege defense for now.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

This is on normal difficulty and no battle realism

I've always had to defend a capture point on the battlefield as a defender. Didn't know about em the first time and it allowed me to volley missiles at them while they tried to hold that point. After getting a 90 percent capture they then reacted to me bombarding them with missiles and right after melee ensued the battle was lost for me because, they got 100 percent control of the capture flag. I felt it was a bit of a cheap mistake as I had inflicted 300 casulties to their 50.

Never seen capture flags in sea battles.

I don't think it is so bad but it should let you decide where to put it as long as it limits how close you can put it to the out of bounds line. As it is right now it is always placed at the center and front of the battlefield, is where you have to defend. They are always in siege battles. I think this was done so you cant have a small army defeat a big army by constantly running around. As far as the AI army defending I don't know if they get one as I have always had AI armies sneak around and avoid my big armies and take empy towns.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

I rarely ever get victory points in my games, what are the circumstances needed for this other than a open land battle?

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GarytheGreat View Post
    I rarely ever get victory points in my games, what are the circumstances needed for this other than a open land battle?
    An army attacked while fortified has an encampment on the map. This includes a wooden palisade, 4 arrow towers, and a capture point that must be defended.
    An army attacked while in forced march stance has a capture point that must be defended; this represents the baggage train.
    Apparently an army attacked after the general was assassinated but before the factions following turn (when a new general will appear) has to defend a capture point.
    A defender sallying forth against a besieger has to defend a capture point; I have no idea what this represents. Worth noting is that this circumstance is an open field battle; the city/fortifications are not present.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

There is a slightly beardy trick you can use with them if you're heavily outnumbered but with better troops who can hold for a time. For example you can put the Roman meat grinder into action and slaughter a whole load of barbars. Without the capture point you'd get overwhelmed eventually, but let the enemy take it and you can slaughter a load of them then lose the battle before they have time to really damage you. Smack them with reinforcements and mercenaries next turn.
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Saw this one posted somewhere at twcenter:

Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Quillan View Post
    An army attacked while fortified has an encampment on the map. This includes a wooden palisade, 4 arrow towers, and a capture point that must be defended.
    An army attacked while in forced march stance has a capture point that must be defended; this represents the baggage train.
    Apparently an army attacked after the general was assassinated but before the factions following turn (when a new general will appear) has to defend a capture point.
    A defender sallying forth against a besieger has to defend a capture point; I have no idea what this represents. Worth noting is that this circumstance is an open field battle; the city/fortifications are not present.
    I posted yesterday that my general getting assassinated caused a capture point, but I was wrong.
    The capture point was due to having a fleet reinforce my land army battle.
    So we can add that to the list.
    If you're defending a coastal land battle and have fleet reinforcements, then you'll have to defend a capture point.
    It's to prevent people from winning on the timer. Without a capture point you could leave your fleet afloat and wait for the timer to run down and win the battle.

Which is a drag due to capture point placement and army movement speed. I was outnumbered and all set to try and combine my naval and land forces (and maybe win the battle) but the capture point placement completely prevented that. It turned a potentially fun defensive battle into a race for the capture point.

Some battles have flags, others don't. I dunno what I am doing wrong or right but I don't find them that annoying.

It's to prevent people from winning on the timer. Without a capture point you could leave your fleet afloat and wait for the timer to run down and win the battle.
    It doesn't work like that. I've seen battles end with ships still afloat and no capture point involved. Don't ask me how or why exactly. I guess one side loses when its land army is defeated.
    Last edited by Sp4; 09-18-2013 at 17:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    Some battles have flags, others don't. I dunno what I am doing wrong or right but I don't find them that annoying.

It doesn't work like that. I've seen battles end with ships still afloat and no capture point involved. Don't ask me how or why exactly. I guess one side loses when its land army is defeated.
    Interesting. Were those ships part of the defending force? It's only supposed to happen when the ship reinforcements are part of the defending force.

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    Interesting. Were those ships part of the defending force? It's only supposed to happen when the ship reinforcements are part of the defending force.
    They were part of the defending force, both sides had ships but there were no flags.