Thread: Military Allies

Default Military Allies

Is it worth it?

Here is my Story, playing as the Romans, Sparta and I jumped into bed together early on, sharing razors, military access, hell our navies even anchor down at port together and throw one heck of a party!

But here is the problem, Sparta is that friend you never bring to the bars because they get loud and obnoxious and everyone wants to fight them, we have been best buds for
    eighty nine years now. Several times they have gotten me out of a pinch by joining a fight that I had no business being in. But now everyone wants to kill them, to many Obama jokes in the wrong company I guess...

So I am now being attacked on all sides! I am literally at war with seven different nations! is it time to sneak out and leave Sparta to answer for its foolishness?
    or do I stick around and take one to the chin?

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Military Allies

is it time to sneak out and leave Sparta to answer for its foolishness? or do I stick around and take one to the chin?
    I've always made a big deal out of keeping alliances even from Shogun 1 days. I never have broken one yet...but that's just my upbringing, I suppose

If there's a way to make a profit out of the situation, take it I say. If it will cost more money than it's worth....maybe time to bail
    High Plains Drifter

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Derstenzel View Post
    Is it worth it? ...
    In conflict there is always opportunity...

Step back and look at all the angles carefully, with all those players involved the chance to make serious power moves follows.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

In Shogun II, I was once stuck with an ally who kept loyal and joined me in all my war efforts. Like @ReluctantSamurai, I'm a decent man and a noble and loyal ally, so I didn't break the alliance.

I spammed agents to incite revolts and destabilize their provinces. Once the rebels took over the land of my unfortunate allies, I liberated them and took over their territory one by one. I took the burden of governing their provinces on my noble back and my allies were allowed to live like Kings without effort, at my expense.

Or at least, that's what I told my conscience afterwards. And it believed it! Stupid conscience.
    Last edited by Andres; 09-17-2013 at 09:49.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    In Shogun II, I was once stuck with an ally who kept loyal and joined me in all my war efforts. Like @ReluctantSamurai, I'm a decent man and a noble and loyal ally, so I didn't break the alliance.

I spammed agents to incite revolts and destabilize their provinces. Once the rebels took over the land of my unfortunate allies, I liberated them and took over their territory one by one. I took the burden of governing their provinces on my noble back and my allies were allowed to live like Kings without effort, at my expense.

Or at least, that's what I told my conscience afterwards. And it believed it! Stupid conscience.
    That's exactly what I did. Except as soon as I conquered Kyoto, I got the Realm Divide thing. It's really heartbreaking to see your closest ally turn against you. I too am a decent man and a loyal ally, but they declared war on me. So in Rome II, I decided to fly solo. I'm playing as the Iceni, and was encouraged to make an alliance with some other faction I can't remember the name of. I just crushed them instead. Goes to show how much of a decent man I am.

In my campaign as Rome, I have some Northern African faction as an ally, which is great cause they're happily keeping Egypt off my back and then some faction in Illyria, which is great cause they are keeping Macedon off my back. Now I only need an ally to take my civil war off my back >_> XD

I took everyones advise and stood firmly alongside my ally... The results was the best 38 turns I have ever had in a TW game. Mayhem ensued and we came out on top! A bit battered and bruised with a slight hangover, but well worth the story to follow.

I will post a detailed AAR here this weekend I made sure to take notes throughout. If any of you are playing normal, or hard and feel bored after that certain point were you are "unstoppable" I suggest playing very hard or even extreme. This campaign is has been incredible compared to the 70+ turns I had started as the Seubi and then became disencanted with

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Glad to hear it turned out well!

Yeah, the Suebi start out slowly as you are surrounded by one-territory nations that pose almost no threat and unless you play somewhat aggressively it can be a tad boring. Only when I ventured further south did I encounter more of a challenge.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore