Thread: Mini Guide: Getting started with Rome II

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Mini Guide: Getting started with Rome II

As already mentioned, I've used Magna Grecia as my military province in both Rome campaigns. During Campaign 1, this was the only province that had any military buildings at all, and it worked well enough. That experience lay behind my posted comment above. In second campaign, however, I spread it out a bit and hit upon a setup/process that I think I like even better. Legionary barracks line in M.G., and Aux Barracks in Hellas (because I wanted Cretan archers). Siege workshop at Apollonia, in between the two.

An army spends 3-4 turns recruiting the legionary core in MG, then crosses over to Apollonia for its ballistae, and finally finishes up cav/skirmisher/missile troops in Hellas. Each hop is short enough that it can be done in normal (vice forced-march) mode, and therefore you never lose a recruitment turn. Meanwhile, a 2nd legion can start at Hellas and work the same process in reverse, allowing the build of two legions in parallel rather than in series, as would have to be the case if all were confined to just one province. Pretty handy at those imperium jumps when 3 new army slots open up.

This approach also allows spreading the training/equipment buildings in such a way that each province still has ample slots to remain lucrative and happy. Both Hellas and Magna Grecia were among my richest provinces despite giving up some military slots.

Of course, this does force one to commit to conquering Macedonia and Hellas as early as possible...a task easier-said-than-done early-game vs Greek hoplites. I did this in Normal...may not be as feasible on higher difficulties. The concept doesn't have to require these two specific provinces, of course. I think they work well, however, because of the geographic juxtaposition of Brundisium, Apollonia, and the Hellas border near Athens, and also because a Hellas aux barracks provides a nice missile unit in Cretan Archers.
    Last edited by Bramborough; 10-10-2013 at 16:11.