Thread: What are we gonna do about the Monastery?

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Default What are we gonna do about the Monastery?

The title says it all. It used to be much more active, now it looks like an abandoned library, with dust and spider webs.

Does anyone have any idea how to revitalize it? Does top brass even care :gasps:?

And HTF is this druzhina guy?

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: What are we gonna do about the Monastery?

I can totally add some stuff in there. I just wasn't sure if that would be frowned upon.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiDamascus View Post
    I can totally add some stuff in there. I just wasn't sure if that would be frowned upon.
    Why would adding content be frowned up?

For best results, try to add something that incites discussions/debates, not just lifeless information. It is, well it used to be, a sacred place for discussion about history, not a library.

Members thankful for this post (2):

I didn't want basically bum rush a quiet forum with stuff.

Go for it. If anyone tries to stop you, just tell them I sent you. There may be a medal in this, you know. ;)

Seriously, are we sure Druzhina isn't some kind of elite spammer?

I've never seen his like.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

The fora are there for you to post in, so if you have interesting historical information or viewpoints to discuss, then by all means, go ahead.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

While this is a great show of enthusiasm and initiative, and from a new user (I dub thee Sir AntiDamascus), unless he has a division behind him, it's hardly gonna do much.

We need something more to revitalize it. Give me some ideas - team debates with panel of judges from our most worthy and venerable members, quizzes, articles, competitions... Let's do this, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post

He posts in several other forums filled with pictures on history. I like him for doing that. ;)
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

A problem is just a lack of posters in general. Were only getting about ~250 members visiting a day, and even fewer of those people visiting are posting.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

That's what I meant by not wanting to spam a forum if no one is really reading it.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

We can start a "Imrpove Rome II historical accuracy" project there and share sources and reserach? Also, I kind of like Druzina's pictures.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post

He's definitely not a spambot and the links he provides lead to interesting stuff.

If you want an active Monastery, then you need to post there, not here
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

A forum is for discussion, not for quizzes, articles and competitions - for the latter three you don't need a forum. If you want historical debate you have to post something to grab people's interest and draw in more posters. If the place is too fussy and it's regulars too pedantic it will drive potential contributors away.

tl;dr - go forth and post...

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    A problem is just a lack of posters in general. Were only getting about ~250 members visiting a day, and even fewer of those people visiting are posting.
    Backroom still has decent activity and most of the people in the backroom were, more or less, contributors to the monastery. Some of them can be motivated to post again, but they need something to motivate them. New members likewise.

That's what I meant by not wanting to spam a forum if no one is really reading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    A forum is for discussion, not for quizzes, articles and competitions - for the latter three you don't need a forum. If you want historical debate you have to post something to grab people's interest and draw in more posters. If the place is too fussy and it's regulars too pedantic it will drive potential contributors away.

tl;dr - go forth and post...
    Actually, forum is just the place for that in my opinion, but what the heck. Purpose of all that is to inspire debates and discussion. What forum isn't for is what druzhina is doing - posting a gazzilion of random links that don't inspire any discussion and are actually scaring new members off - as you can see by AntiDamascus' reaction.

I didn't mean turn the Monastery into a place solely for quizzes, but why not organizes some debates?

Post an announcement on the entire forum that we're gonna organize debates in the Monastery and that members can propose a topic. We choose a few most interesting topics, let people apply for either side, organize a panel of judges and have a whirl. The winner gets a badge or something.

With "go forth and post" you're basically saying "I don't care". No one can change that on their own, it needs a concentrated effort from more than one member. If someone has a better idea, I'm all ears, that's why I asked here, but if we don't do something, the Monastery's gonna remain empty. We may fail if do something, but at least we tried.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 09-19-2013 at 12:00.

I'm not sure in which language "go forth and post" means "I don't care"...

The only solution to lack of activity in the monastery is for people to post. I actually agree that druzhina's posts seem a bit much, maybe even a bit spammy and they certainly don't provoke meaningful discussion. I disagree that they drive people away however.

What is your solution? Tell him to stop?

If you think quizzes and competitions will make a difference - why not just go for it and see what comes of it?

If a subforum dies off, maybe it's because it's no longer relevant or needed? Perhaps relaxed posting laws elsewhere on the board mean that those kinds of discussions are now going on in other sections?

I just made a suggestion. I can't authorize it or post forum wide announcements. I will gladly be a part of it naturally if top brass decide it's a good idea.

But, maybe you're right, maybe it is time for monastery to go away...

You are more than welcome to organise something. If you need advertising on the frontpage, just drop me or any other staff member a pm with the text of the advertisement and it'll be put on the FP. All moderators have acces to the FP, so if you pm a few of us, it'll get there in a short time.

If you need a thread stickied, I'll sticky it. A global announcement? PM me and/or a TA the text and a forum wide announcement will be made.

It is also possible to add a few priviledges to your account for the duration of whatever it is you intend to organise.

If you can't do it all by yourself, then you're free to recruit people by pm'ing them or by creating threads in the more active fora. In case you frequent other fora outside the .Org, you can advertise there as well.

There are plenty of possibilities and anyone who wants to organise a community event, be it a quiz or a debate in the Monastery, a game in the gameroom, a let's play in the Rome II section, a screenshot contest, a writing contest, an art contest, is more than free to ask staff for assistance.

Last edited by Andres; 09-19-2013 at 19:47.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Danke schon. Can I promise the winner a badge?

Sure.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Backroom still has decent activity and most of the people in the backroom were, more or less, contributors to the monastery. Some of them can be motivated to post again, but they need something to motivate them. New members likewise.

Actually, forum is just the place for that in my opinion, but what the heck. Purpose of all that is to inspire debates and discussion. What forum isn't for is what druzhina is doing - posting a gazzilion of random links that don't inspire any discussion and are actually scaring new members off - as you can see by AntiDamascus' reaction.

I didn't mean turn the Monastery into a place solely for quizzes, but why not organizes some debates?

Post an announcement on the entire forum that we're gonna organize debates in the Monastery and that members can propose a topic. We choose a few most interesting topics, let people apply for either side, organize a panel of judges and have a whirl. The winner gets a badge or something.

With "go forth and post" you're basically saying "I don't care". No one can change that on their own, it needs a concentrated effort from more than one member. If someone has a better idea, I'm all ears, that's why I asked here, but if we don't do something, the Monastery's gonna remain empty. We may fail if do something, but at least we tried.
    What Druzhina is doing is correct if my eyes are correct from reading his Taleworld forums posts filled with historical pictures and such.

The other members i.e modders discuss and use the sources he pulls up sometimes if they got the time to do so. Thus you get some pretty cool equipment in game for M&B thanks to Druzhina.

He also posts on TWC once in a while along with Rampante cid, Rampante Cid usually follows up with some questions. We had a discussion about some pictures a month earlier about historical battles, equipment, etc. I'm not too keen to discussing historical accuracy but it's interesting to read.

I personally haven't posted since I honestly am not interested in posting much anymore. If I do post it's in a small modding section of twc where the same few people discuss things since the last couple of years.

A gaming forum attracts me by it's modding community, a bunch of pictures, discussion about game content, and AARs, plus some other stuff I forgot. Events such as prizes, etc don't do much for me, I just discuss things that normally won't feel normal typing in a chat program. In my opinion of course.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Another vote for Druzhina.
    Interesting pictures from periods which concern the games we research.
    Unique, insofar as no one else bothers to post such extensive surveys of fashion/clothing/armour.
    My thanks to the individual who does the research and posts the sources
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Why yes, I am crossposting my thread which references this thread here. Isn't that odd? :D Come and talk about what you want to do with the Monastary.

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    What Druzhina is doing is correct if my eyes are correct from reading his Taleworld forums posts filled with historical pictures and such.

The other members i.e modders discuss and use the sources he pulls up sometimes if they got the time to do so. Thus you get some pretty cool equipment in game for M&B thanks to Druzhina.

He also posts on TWC once in a while along with Rampante cid, Rampante Cid usually follows up with some questions. We had a discussion about some pictures a month earlier about historical battles, equipment, etc. I'm not too keen to discussing historical accuracy but it's interesting to read.

I actually post more on TWC than the org, it is just diluted by the more numerous posts on TWC. I occasionally get pm requests for particular countries and periods for a particular mod which I'll post about.

Druzhina
    Illustrations of Costume and Soldiers