Thread: Do you not have to have completed law school to become a judge?

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Default Do you not have to have completed law school to become a judge?

This one is amazing. A judge in Tennessee ordered a kid's name changed from "Messiah" because she said that name was reserved for Jesus Christ. She was overturned immediately by a higher court for quite obvious reasons. Honestly, whatever her (or your) personal opinions on religion are, how could a judge know so little about the law as to make such an obvious mistake?

Is this maybe a symptom of having elected rather than appointed judges? Not sure if she is elected or appointed, by the way. But this has always interested me. It just seems wrong that judges should have to face voters, as correct legal decisions are often unpopular ones.

http://news.msn.com/us/tennessee-bab...e-rules?stay=1
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Do you not have to have completed law school to become a judge?

Federal judges are appointees. State/Local ones are usually elected.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

So, can you actually become a judge without being a qualified lawyer? Can any joe blow run for the position?
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    In some I believe that is the case.
    Scary.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Every state is different. In some I believe that is the case.
    That is... so cool...

I've just imagined myself as a judge.

Member thankful for this post:

Harry S Truman first elected office was judge. That was the jobs title. The county elected 3 judges and between the three they chose a Presiding Judge. Harry was chosen. No formal education beyond high school.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by The Lurker Below View Post
    Harry S Truman first elected office was judge. That was the jobs title. The county elected 3 judges and between the three they chose a Presiding Judge. Harry was chosen. No formal education beyond high school.
    My memory of Truman may be a bit shaky, but wasn't he elected into the bureaucracy of a court? Ie. he was overseeing stuff, but not actually passing judgements and all that?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Bah, he looked like a butler anyway.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

In California you can be an illegal immigrant and be a cop, and if Jerry Brown has his way also a lawyer. It takes all types.

Just curious, what is your opinion on the guy who lost custody of his kids because he named them Hitler? Does the same rule apply here or no?
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    In California you can be an illegal immigrant and be a cop, and if Jerry Brown has his way also a lawyer. It takes all types.

Just curious, what is your opinion on the guy who lost custody of his kids because he named them Hitler? Does the same rule apply here or no?
    Different rule than the one used in the OP, as that was a rule designed to protect the rights of the child, while the judge above tried to protect the rights of jesus.

If naming your kid Messiah is deemed to give undue burden to a child, I would have no problem with outlawing it.

EDIT: Investigating this a bit further gives this statement from the judge:

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

....Which seems to imply that she was thinking of the rights of the child, not jesus. This may be yet another case of media sensationalism...
    Last edited by HoreTore; 09-26-2013 at 13:19.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban