Thread: Returning after a long absence.

Default Returning after a long absence.

Hello again everyone

Well I'm another returnee after a 4 or 5 year absence. Very sursprised to see I could get back on with my old logon.

I spent many long hours on MTW + VI, RTW and MTW2 and enjoyed multiplayer battles mainly against Tricky Lady.

I swapped PC wargaming for tabletop wargaming playing Fields Of Glory. My competitive spirit didn't change and I hold a number of trophies for tabletop wargaming but the pinnacle was playing for team GB in Lisbon and winning as a team. Definately a more face-to-face social experience, a lot more costly, and a lot of tabletop disagreements over rules and millimetres.

My son who is now nearly 14 was enjoying Total War Battles on the Kindle so I decided to rebuy both MTW + VI and MTW2. He isn't too interested in the battles at the moment but enjoys the campaign and conquering.

We have started on VI being the smaller map and I also believed the game played better on the Risk-style map. We are both playing the Saxons, him on Easy, me on Expert.

He has virtually completed the map whereas I cannot get past the Mercians. Just for the record I don't use mercenaries as I believe they make it too easy.

So my returning question is:

If you are playing the game totally using auto-resolve is Expert level too difficult?

Good to see you all again.

Rob

Default Re: Returning after a long absence.

Welcome back!

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Good to see the old guards coming back here. Welcome back Yakobu.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Welcome back Yakobu
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Welcome back.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Welcome back!
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Welcome back.

Auto-resolve is almost always -- any TW -- too deadly for my forces, even when I win.

Fight a battle and you can manage your people. Auto Calc it and your cream units demand the honor of leading the forlorn hope.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments.

Just a quick update.

I got a relatively new PC from Ebay and have now moved my son onto RTW 2 and he's quite happy not going back to MTW. He isn't really seeing the issues with it at the moment and is autoresolving on Easy. I'm playing the game and fighting the battles on Hard at the moment. Unsure whether it is patches or not but the battles definately last longer on Hard so give more time for manouvering. On Easy routs pretty much start as soon as contact is made.

Oddly although I really like the Roman period in Total War I tend to more play the medieval period when wargaming. I think this is because the Roman army tends to struggle in the ruleset I play whereas my Ottoman army was happily sweeping all before it.

Rob

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YAKOBU View Post
    Hi guys

Thanks for the comments.

Just a quick update.

I got a relatively new PC from Ebay and have now moved my son onto RTW 2 and he's quite happy not going back to MTW. He isn't really seeing the issues with it at the moment and is autoresolving on Easy. I'm playing the game and fighting the battles on Hard at the moment. Unsure whether it is patches or not but the battles definately last longer on Hard so give more time for manouvering. On Easy routs pretty much start as soon as contact is made.

Oddly although I really like the Roman period in Total War I tend to more play the medieval period when wargaming. I think this is because the Roman army tends to struggle in the ruleset I play whereas my Ottoman army was happily sweeping all before it.

Rob
    Welcome back! What self-imposed rules do you carry over to Rome II? FYI I don't use mercs, and I'm currently dominating a Rome Legendary campaign with 130 autoresolved battles and only 10 lead ones.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Hi Myth

I don't really use any self-imposed rules yet as I usually play until I conquer a couple of provinces and then start again once I get the next patch.

I have decided to restrict the use of war dogs, cavalry and artillery units as I found I won most battles without my foot troop getting many kills. Now I want my foot troops to get in and earn their bread. I also want to limit my legions to 10 units of hastati, principes, legionaries etc. I then want to recruit the additional troops in conquered regions through the auxiliary barracks.

I don't tend to use mercanaries much unless it is a special unit I want to try out.

Did I just contradict myself? LOL

Rob

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

If your son is not really interested in the battles but the conquering, you should take a look at Paradox games(Europa Universalis IV, Crusader Kings II). They are more about politics and conquering rather than taking part in the battles. EUIV and CKII should both have a demo version so he can take a look to see if it is fun.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Cheers rickinator9

I had downloaded CK 2 previously but the font was too small on the screen. My old eyes aren't what they used to be. My son is 13 so I fear the game may be a little too complex for him.

He would like to do the battles in RTW 2 but he only stays with me once a fortnight so his campaign would take forever. Also he doesn't think he is quite up to fighting the battles.

Rob