Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable problems...

Default Unbelievable problems...

I've played every single TW game, from release. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on each of them.

So, introduction:

-I loved STW for being the first, for pretty much opening the genre. It was somewhat arcade comparing to the future TW titles, but it was awesome, just as every first timer is awesome.
    -MTW? The religion, the multitude of cultures, factions, crusades, fleets, trade... It was great! The impredictability of campaign AI, and the true difficulty was great. Diplomacy was pretty insignificant, but it was fun fighting everyone.
    -RTW? The first 3D game. I'm sure we drooled quite for a while being stunned by the graphics, and by the new things the game implemented. RTW battles were never ever surpassed, and I'm speaking about the multiplayer element. I played hundreds of those battles in LAN with friends. The AI wasn't that smart, diplomacy was non-existant with the perma-port blockade, but the game had a great feel.
    -M2TW? Ok, now this is where the series started stagnating. Very few improvements from RTW. But ok, it was cool. The diplomatic backstabbing was back, and the ridiculous autoresolve was there (3x Mailed knights vs 2x Muslim archers, I win with 50% of knighst surviving), but meh, it was playable.
    -ETW+Napoleon. Now, this game had bugs, and I mean bugs. What bothered me the most were the fleets, the game crashing upon their merger... The battle AI was idiotic. The campaign AI was as passive as passive gets, all it did was sending one unit stacks and perma-destroyed your minor settlements... you could annihilate the entire France by just taking 2 settlements. The trade and the size of the map were good, but the game was a clear step backwards.
    -S2TW. The bright hope! Many things were fixed, and battles were playable first time from RTW. For the first time since MTW, defending a fortress was actually a pretty good thing. The realm divide, the attrition, agents. It was pretty good. A step forwards.

And now we have R2TW.

So, okay, let's ignore the obvious bugs and glitches. They alone are enough to destroy this game's rating, but let's say CA will fix them one day, no matter how the release was unacceptable.

I want to talk here about 2 things that have been haunting all the TW games.

1) The lack of diplomacy

Being a TW fan, I always thought it was quite hard to make good diplomacy. I thought CA did their best. I thought, "what the heck", it's Total War, you're supposed to bash everything and everyone. And then I met Crusader Kings 2, and in fact Paradox Interactive.

In CK2, this is how it basically works. You declare war upon someone, for say a chunk of his land. Then you both call in allies if you wish, and you fight and all. The more of his troops you kill, you get better warscore. The more regions of his you hold, you get a better warscore. If you occupy the region of interest, you get bonus warscore. Once warscore reaches 100%, you enforce your demands and sign peace. Logical, right?

What happens in R2TW? Well, let's assume AI takes 7 regions. AI is, as we all know incapable of doing that, because it is completely idiotic, but let's be generous. So you attack him, and take 5 regions from him, and decide to spare him? Nope. Unacceptable. It doesn't matter you are an empire with 80 regions. Fight on. So you're either left in an eternal war, or have to completely destroy him. Idiotic. As if he doesn't want to live!

It's also spectacular, how the AI demands 20% of your entire budget for, say, a trade agreement. Or for a ceasefire, when you have 80x more power he does.

The funniest thing is, THIS HAS BEEN GOING FOR 9 YEARS OF TW GAMES. As far as I'm amazed by CA not doing ANYTHING to fix this, I'm further amazed by fans not even addressing this. Who gives a **** about graphics, when there's no strategy in a STRATEGY game???

2) The lack of AI

And I'm not talking about battle AI. It's incredibly buggy, it's as if we played a game in the 90s, when AIs had to cheat to make balance. Having it circle around like sheep is painful to watch considering it's 2013 and it's CA.

I'm talking about campaign AI, and it's complete lack of... of ANYTHING. It doesn't use armies at all. It either suicides it on your own city walls, or keeps them at his own settlements. I have had ONE large battle, where I had my 15-20 units pitted against enemy's same number. All the other battles are like 20vs3 units. This AI is even more passive than Empire's, if that's even possible.

Playing as Macedon, I keep Illyria, Thrace, Macedonia, Hellas in Europe. I also have everything from there to Susa. So I decide, what the hell, let's just transfer 7/9 armies east, I want to follow the steps of Alexander. Yeah. I quickly realized that I don't have to keepn ANY troops on the European CONTINENT. It doesn't matter that I have 6-7 AI barbarian factions around me, that have 2-3 stacks in their single settlements dying of hunger... Why in the world would they want to take the rich, undefended fruits of the Greeks? It's unbelievable. No challenge whatsoever.

You know how they managed it in CK2? You play as the father and have 2 sons. You are old and they are in their prime, with the first son set to inherit everything. But the second one is sure not gonna sit around and watch. He plots to kill his older brother. The game is designed so that he clearly sees what's standing between him and more power. He may fail, but he's gonna try! Isn't that simple enough to implement? AI wants more power, and sees a clear way to do it. Why not just do it?

Why not just send your 3 stacks and take 5 of my unoccupied settlements?

----

I am perplexed that CA have not made this game to be the first one with actual usable diplomacy, and competitive AI.

Oh and yeah. Try Crusader Kings 2. Try any other Paradox Interactive's strategy. You will laugh at your own self for ever playing the Total War franchise.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Unbelievable problems...

The campaign AI is being fixed with patch 3, they said it's because the AI is getting erroneous feedback and thus is stumped for what to do.

I agree that after so many titles they should have polished the games and worked out the formula. However, I think M2TW is better than Rome 1.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Like Myth has said, Im fairly certain that the brain is working, its just not always getting the correct signals from the nerves. Ive been in a number of battles where the AI showed competence, and of course, others where its been so brain-dead I was pretty sure it was in a coma.

Same with the CAI. Sometimes its smart, like realizing that their 10 unit army wont stand a chance in an open field battle against my 20-unit elite stack, so they fell back to their fortified city where they can defend much better instead of wasting their units in a small town battle which I will almost surely win. Another time they drew out my armies, then snuck past and attacked my now undefended towns. But of course, other times they do stupid things like besiege fortified towns with 4 units.

Considering that I have seen competent AI, I am fairly convinced that it is something that can be fixed.

I also think it is unfair to compare CKII and the TW games. One is a turn based-world domination/real time battle game and the other is a family survival game. The political system in CKII is unmatched, in my opinion, but the battles are very, very shallow. Its merely a numbers game and there is very little that you can do to influence the tide of battle once the ball gets rolling. Dont get me wrong, I love CKII, its one of my favorite games, but in no way does it satisfy my itch that the TW games do. And the warscore thing can be annoying at times. Want only one or two of the enemy's territories? Okay, fine, defeat the enemy army, lay siege to the territory in question, capture it. Warscore at 35%. Great, now what? Now I have to invade the enemy lands to lay siege to even more towns just to get the warscore up to 100%. During which time the enemy can raise even more armies to attack you. Annoyed me at times. And when I got rich enough and large enough, mercenaries were essential to keep up an empire, as your tiny retinue is laughably unable to protect your realm. And dont get me started on long wars.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Maybe it was the CAI designers that were stumped and/or getting erroneous feedback

You would think that some communication and play-testing could have prevented this:

have 2-3 stacks in their single settlements dying of hunger
    I'm not sure if the passive AI is a design decision or something to do with the 3D map, because you know full well that a STW/MTW AI would find that weakness and continually hammer at it until it got what it was after, or you destroyed them. For anyone who played an Oda 1580 campaign in S1 on expert setting, you know what I'm talking about

I long ago gave up on the idea that there would actually be something called diplomacy in TW games instead of a steady diet of "THE BLACK KNIGHT". If it hasn't happened by now, more than likely it won't ever happen.

Considering that I have seen competent AI, I am fairly convinced that it is something that can be fixed
    I'm not so sure I'm beginning to think that those who point to the inherent flaws in the Warscape game engine might have some valid points concerning the AI.

I've said this before...when the honeymoon is over, can you see yourself still playing R2 in 6months or a year?
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 09-20-2013 at 15:56.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    I've said this before...when the honeymoon is over, can you see yourself still playing R2 in 6months or a year?
    Not sure, because some games I was convinced I would play for years (ArmaIII) I dont really play anymore, and other games which I thought I would play once and never touch again (SR3) I still play.

Only time will tell.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

So you're either left in an eternal war, or have to completely destroy him. Idiotic. As if he doesn't want to live!
    I think this may depend on the personality of the faction you are fighting. I've had a few factions fight until the bitter end. I usually have to be the one to ask for peace and often they won't accept unless you offer them something, even as simple as making them a client state/satrapy. The larger my empire grows, the more I have factions actually asking for peace. In fact, if one of my client states is attacked and I join the war, I always get a peace request from the offending faction that same turn.

I haven't actually given any thought to looking at their personality until I read your post and began to theorize on why our experiences might be different. Now I'll have to keep an eye out and see if "aggressive" factions fight differently then "defensive" ones.

I really don't like that the campaign AI is so passive but maybe it's a good thing, considering they don't do much better in the battles =P Now you can avoid them by just not attacking them. Soon it will be annoying XD

I have yet to see campaign AI doing anything but holding out in the settlements. I had 1 field battle in ~140 turns of my first (and last) campaign. My game crashes at the very end of the turn time (I waited the 3min AI turn for three times to make sure it wasn't a one time thing). Good bye, CA!

I'm not sure if the passive AI is a design decision or something to do with the 3D map, because you know full well that a STW/MTW AI would find that weakness and continually hammer at it until it got what it was after, or you destroyed them. For anyone who played an Oda 1580 campaign in S1 on expert setting, you know what I'm talking about
    The also knew how to defend strongpoints. I remember how half of my STW games were revolving around holding Shinano, the most important province in all the series combined!

Heh, nicely put :)

I'd also like to add that this corporate bs about DLCs and stuff is really, really low. I mean, now you have to pay for the Greeks, or preorder crap blindly? More DLCs will come, be sure. It's like selling you a car without wheels, and then selling a wheel at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    ... about Warscore...
    I only wanted to point out a logical way of resolving wars. Maybe CK2's warscore is off, but it's a much better idea then being at war with the Etruscan League that I haven't even seen for 80yrs just because they jumped in defense of a faction that's long gone.

And that has been going on in every TW game so far, the state of perpetual war.
    Last edited by VersusAllOdds; 09-20-2013 at 17:43.

I do agree with you that diplomacy is way off in the TW games, although that comes with a shallow diplomacy system. You dont declare wars for a certain province or title like you do in CKII, you just declare war. Which I think is a failing of the TW system- war ambitions arent clearly stated for the AI, so while you really just wanted that one province, the AI is thinking that you are going for total annihilation, and as such, wont stop until either one of you is dead, even if you offer peace. For instance, in my current game, Im at war with two tiny Celtic tribes that I havent really gotten around to defeating yet, and even though I offer peace, they refuse, even though I have 7 armies and they have 1.

What I think needs to change is the diplomacy options when it comes to war. Not jut declaring war, but picking a specific reason why might be better when it comes to AI decisions. For instance, when you declare war, if there was an option that said "I am claiming such-and-such territory" or "I will kill you all," then maybe when you actually got that territory, depending on the characteristics of that faction (peaceful, warlike, etc) they would either sue for peace or do everything they can to take it back. And if you were going for total annihilation as you stated in your declaration of war, then they wouldnt accept peace unless they were winning or something because you made your intentions clear beforehand. As for allies of your enemies sticking to their guns, yeah, its another problem that I personally havent encountered, but I sympathize with.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Not gonna lie, all those issues sound "believable"

Member thankful for this post:

Since I believe this is the right thread to have some repetition from my previous posts.

To further simplify my posts I'll say: The game needs a ton of patches, the dreaded dlcs, and mods. Even then the game imo won't be completed and polished enough. So I won't say this is an awesome game but it's ok imo, fun for a while before I move on to greener pastures.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

I remember that CA before releasing R2TW said that when you play as an barbarian faction and start a war, it would increase your popularity and make your people happy. But when I play as Arverni I didn't see this feature.
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Not jut declaring war, but picking a specific reason
    IIRC, there used to be the option of trading territory, and the threat of war as bargaining tool. This could lead to something like you sugest: "Give territory X, or we will declare war". Theoretically one could bully lesser nations into submission.

Quote Originally Posted by komnenos View Post
    I remember that CA before releasing R2TW said that when you play as an barbarian faction and start a war, it would increase your popularity and make your people happy. But when I play as Arverni I didn't see this feature.
    Try again and look closely. It's not a huge bonus.

How much of a bonus is it? Just a few points or so?
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

It's a really tiny bonus BUT... if you manage to be at war with 20 factions that somehow border you, it's like having a free colosseum or something.. Free as long as you don't count the cost of being at war =S

Actually it's kind of crap because some barbarian factions get a public order hit, simply from being.. you know, unwashed, unshaved, uncivilised savages that live in trees.

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Nice posts all.

VersusAllOdds...

Your mention of Shinano, put a smile in my Face, this is a province name I will never forget! LOL Epic Epic battles in Shinano (STW).

I am also one to dislike this DLC marketing approach. Because instead of adding value, they simply take value out of the release product only to sell in parts...

I think the big plan with Rome II is to sell Playable Factions, some people report that many factions are under developed in terms of unit variety/diversity...so I would not be surprised if that is their plan.

On the other hand, over at TWCenter some people already unlocked all Factions to be playable... So not sure how all that will fit together. Again I simply feel it is a bad marketing approach with a game that has such a following (it has been over 10 years imagine), AND a modding community...

It feels like they are selling us oranges without Vitamin C inside ;) And we have to buy the Vitamin C separably.

Now for the AI, I think it will be addressed as are all the various Bugs, for that I have no doubts. Rome II will, when fixed be a great game to play for a very long time.

I absolutely LOVE the revamp of the strategic map play and all the little details revolving around t. Heck even the economy is, for once Great for the pace of the game (and my style of play).

The only thing I miss in this one, is the ability to have a Custom Formation in battles. I mean, as much as I loved the formation Types in STW, in Rome and also in Rome II I like to make my own formations with units on deployment...

I am hoping it is a bug (or that I am missing something), but the formation I group the units with simply does not hold...I have to choose one of the preset formations for the units to hold their positions...

Also I do agree with the sentiment that diplomacy is missing something in Rome II.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Suraknar; 09-24-2013 at 18:34.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The only thing I miss in this one, is the ability to have a Custom Formation in battles. I mean, as much as I loved the formation Types in STW, in Rome and also in Rome II I like to make my own formations with units on deployment...

I am hoping it is a bug (or that I am missing something), but the formation I group the units with simply does not hold...I have to choose one of the preset formations for the units to hold their positions...

Also I do agree with the sentiment that diplomacy is missing something in Rome II.

Cheers!
    Did you try Ctrl+G?

Play with Patch 3. If it's too easy, start with a facion other than Rome which is by design - overpowered when controlled by a human player. Play on Legendary. If you take a 1 settlement faction in the middle of freakin' nowhere that doesn't have wine, olive oil, glassware and tons of grain at it's disposal (resources and upgrading minor settlements to produce them is the best way to get lots of money in the early game. More resources = more trade and more factions willing to sign trade agreements = more money) you will see how difficult the game could be.

Even in my 130 turn Rome game I had some sneaksie Gauls using mutliple agents to incite rebellion in my province, hoping that if the rebels took it they could come and liberate it and i'd let it slide. Seriously, that is some next level stuff and a trick usually people ( @Andres) do!

Starting as the Avernii has shown me that R2 can and will challenge you. A 1 settlement faction with 2-3 settlement provinces around it (mostly 2 settlement) where your early game units consist of low morale levies (unlike the disciplined principes/legionaires/pretorians). You can't autoresolve because you will get smeared and your low defence and armour values mean you can at most, hope for a phyrric victory. So you must lead, and lead well! The AIs all clump up to fight you if they tink you overextend. You don't have money to throw around into province development and you can't afford liberties with the tech research because if you stay at spear warband and slinger level sooner or later someone will come with his elites and crush you. Yet you need to research architecture and fields too...

As far as battles are concerned the AI is OK. It doesn't let you go inside a city easily and beware if they have boiling oil. If it has access to high morale units and the fight drags out it can really exploit gaps in your broken down lines to flank you.

If you don't beleive me, pick a fight with Sparta early on. Their infantry has enough morale for a battle to last almost 20 minutes and then you will see how they encircle isolated units and shred them. You will never scoff at Heroes of Sparta again.
    Last edited by Myth; 09-25-2013 at 12:49.

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Play with Patch 3. If it's too easy, start with a facion other than Rome which is by design - overpowered when controlled by a human player. Play on Legendary. If you take a 1 settlement faction in the middle of freakin' nowhere that doesn't have wine, olive oil, glassware and tons of grain at it's disposal (resources and upgrading minor settlements to produce them is the best way to get lots of money in the early game. More resources = more trade and more factions willing to sign trade agreements = more money) you will see how difficult the game could be.
    I want you to think about what you are saying: Don't play the game to win, play it to lose and then you'll see how difficult it can be.

I agree that the game CAI is getting somewhat better, but RTW II is no different than any other TW I've played in that the game is downright easy. Be nice if they had defined AI profiles. Like this faction never techs much, it just produces low level units and takes territory. Once it has X amount of terrority it stops and gets rich, then hires a lot of Mercs to supplement it's army and keeps expanding (merc prices need to come down for this to work). And another faction techs and turtles until they reach this milestone, then take X amount of territory and then continue up the tech tree until they reach another milestone, and so on. These are very simple AI profiles, and while I'm sure CA tried to something along these lines (probably far more advanced) it is just doesn't seem to work.

If every TW game, the AI just seems to try to do everything, and ends up doing nothing well.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

If every TW game, the AI just seems to try to do everything, and ends up doing nothing well.
    Amen to this. Scripting may be used now, or not, but if done in a logical manner, might help point the AI in a direction that allows a particular faction to gain strength and development. I remember the scripts from R1 like "Fortified Stalin" or "Craftsman Caesar", etc. which influenced what temples got built and what troops got created, but did little to affect aggressiveness, which IMHO is one of the biggest shortcomings of TW AI's.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851 View Post
    I want you to think about what you are saying: Don't play the game to win, play it to lose and then you'll see how difficult it can be.
    Where did I say that ? I said: play on the highest difficulty level and don't take an easy, large and rich starting faction like Rome if you want to be challenged.

I'm tired of people who played a Medium campaign with Rome on patch 1, loaded their arses off, and now come back to tell me how dumb the AI was and how bugged the game is.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Honestly, you need to seriously re-think your point here.

If you think you're making a valid argument by telling players how they should play the game, and make the absolutely absurd suggestion they shouldn't play Rome in a game called Rome 2, you've gone completely off the rail.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post

If you think you're making a valid argument by telling players how they should play the game, and make the absolutely absurd suggestion they shouldn't play Rome in a game called Rome 2, you've gone completely off the rail.
    Please calm down guys, I'm pretty sure he was just saying: "If you want a more challenging game pick a harder faction or harder settings on the latest patch." Rome is the intro faction so it has a strong starting position, I don't think you can say its harder than Parthia or one of the other factions.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post

I am not telling players how to play the game. I myself have an ongoing Rome campaign. I am telling the whiners to quit their whining if they haven't dared fire up Legendary and try another faction. It's the same AI but with less starting bonuses for the player and with a more equal playing ground unit wise, it's much more difficult. And the inability to load (for the most part, you can reload battles if they start going south) you are forced to adopt a large scale strategy for your lands.
    Last edited by Myth; 09-26-2013 at 08:42.

Yea Rome is in the best setting with some good troops. It's going to be pretty easy by default. That's why it is labeled as Easy

The Pretorians which come available at 10 turns after the start + the economy to mass produce them + no real threats right next door + the option to own Italia/Magna Graecia/Africa/Aegyptus which are I think the richest provinces in the game all relatively early + access to lots of grain and other valuable resources = easy faction.

I tell you what if I started playing this game and Rome was a hard faction, I'd be pissed.

I agree completely with the OP - how can a small indy get AI right and a huge company like SEGA/CA mess up so badly? Also, sadly, playing a game like CKII drains the fun out of TW for me... the latest game is really pretty, but the most fun one to play is still MTW1 imo

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaitan View Post
    Did you try Ctrl+G?
    No I did not before my post, I discovered it a few hours later :P I have been playing many of the latest games in the series solely through Mouse...but then it hit me to check the Keyboard Controls...Yet, thanks for the Reply nevertheless appreciate.

And It was really something I was missing, I am so glad now, as I can do custom formations to fit my tactics!

Cheers :)
    Last edited by Suraknar; 09-26-2013 at 21:09.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast