Thread: Mr. *Insert First Name Here*

Default Mr. *Insert First Name Here*

Am I the only one who gets this? Let's suppose for a moment that my first name is Bob. (which it isn't)
    Almost all my friends and coworkers (esp the female ones) always refer to me as Mr. Bob. I have no idea why. When they first meet me they don't, but after getting to know me for a while everyone invariably puts a Mr. before my first name.
    Is it because they think I am arrogant? I just cannot figure out why everyone does this, but they always have and it drives me crazy. Even all my girlfriends have done this!
    I just started a new job and now all my female coworkers and some of my male coworkers are doing it already!
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Mr. *Insert First Name Here*

I think it is a sign that your female coworkers see you as an authority figure, and do it to act submissive and show how attracted they are to you.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I think it is a sign that your female coworkers see you as an authority figure, and do it to act submissive and show how attracted they are to you.
    Very funny. And what about the male coworkers who do it? I guess they just must be all gay, huh?
    Seriously though, it really annoys me.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I never adress my friends with their real names, female friends inevitably get something that sounds more affectionate, I also have nicknames for all my male friends, they are called manos, mia muca, me gushi, endboss or whatever sounds good at the time

Edit, being cruel to your maid with fancy words, it's possible. 99 shades of red I did pretty good https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps15774ab9.jpg
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-23-2013 at 17:06.

It's because everyone thinks you are arrogant.

You are arrogant Mister Vuk.

Member thankful for this post:

A lot of my bosses refer to me as Mr Lastname or just Lastname. I think it's because I have such a common name and sometimes we have several people with my first name and I am about a decade older than most of my coworkers (I work at a college and am in my early 30s, everyone else is basically early 20s).

No one refers to me as Mr Firstname though.

Trying to show respect?
    Addressing someone you're not all that familiar with by using just their first name can be viewed as a sign of disrespect. When I briefly worked as a teacher I addressed all my colleagues as sir/ma'am, and they all addressed me as sir irrespective of their age.

Edit:
    Though I do remember reading a Nevil Shute novel as a kid where a Brit visiting the USA is requested to stop using mister after the first time he addresses someone. But I'm pretty sure the members from this side of the pond would agree with me.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 09-23-2013 at 19:45.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    Trying to show respect?
    Addressing someone you're not all that familiar with by using just their first name can be viewed as a sign of disrespect. When I briefly worked as a teacher I addressed all my colleagues as sir/ma'am, and they all addressed me as sir irrespective of their age.

Edit:
    Though I do remember reading a Nevil Shute novel as a kid where a Brit visiting the USA is requested to stop using mister after the first time he addresses someone. But I'm pretty sure the members from this side of the pond would agree with me.
    Here in the States "Mr." isn't usually used between coworkers, friends, and significant others, and when it is used it's used with the last name and not the first.

--

Vuk it sounds to me like "Mr Vuk." has become your nickname, I wouldn't get too upset over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    It's because everyone thinks you are arrogant.

You are arrogant Mister Vuk.
    See, that is what I was thinking too. I am generally extremely respectful though at work, and I have no idea what I do that would make people think I am arrogant (unless they get to know me on a personal level ). I listen to people, refer to them with a respectful title, accept criticism, ask questions when I don't understand things, etc, etc. I generally do not discuss politics, etc. It is not just at work either though, it is every where, and a lot of the people who call me that have a high opinion of me. Conversely those who dislike me also use the term. It really confuses me, as I have never heard anyone ever refer to anyone else like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    Here in the States "Mr." isn't usually used between coworkers, friends, and significant others, and when it is used it's used with the last name and not the first.

--

Vuk it sounds to me like "Mr Vuk." has become your nickname, I wouldn't get too upset over it.
    Why did it become my nickname though? When I meet people who have never heard me referred to as "Mr. Vuk" they start referring to me as that. Why is that? That is what puzzles me. It has to be something in how I am being perceived. If I do not know why people call me that, how do I know if I should be offended by it or not?
    I don't know, I guess it is a pretty small thing, but it really annoys me. It was cute when my first girlfriend called me it, but it got annoying fast.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

You're a mean one, Mr. Vuk.

You really are a heel. You're as cuddly as a cactus. You're as charming as an eel.

Mr. Vuk.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Maybe you should be nicer. Smile more.
    Last edited by Monk; 09-24-2013 at 04:59.

Can I play?

Mr Vuk you have the charm of a pregnant spider. Mr Vuk, you suck bowlingballs through a straw, that hard. Mr Vuk, if the Mona Lisa saw you she wouldn't be smiling.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe there is a famous person with your name, like "Mister Bean", so it became your nickname due to the famous example.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Maybe there is a famous person with your name, like "Mister Bean", so it became your nickname due to the famous example.
    Well there was this guy who was so obsessed with Bridged Bardot that he tattoed a B on both of his bums. Confused his wife Who's bob. This of course really happened.

Nah, I have an extremely unusual name taken from the Bible. So unusual that I have yet to meet someone who shares it. lol

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Nah, I have an extremely unusual name taken from the Bible. So unusual that I have yet to meet someone who shares it. lol
    This would appear to be a pretty obvious explanation for things.

Mordecai

It's obviously Togarmah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr
    This would appear to be a pretty obvious explanation for things.
    is this a double-entendre?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's all about the alliteration.

Mr. Mordecai.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    is this a double-entendre?
    If it is, it is too subtle for me.

And maybe it's Mr. Melchizedek...

lol, it is not Mordecai or Melchizedek. Not that weird. lol

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Ezekial?

Judah?

Mary?
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Husar 

His first name is actually Vuk, it's all been a subtle ruse

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntiDamascus View Post
    His first name is actually Vuk, it's all been a subtle ruse
    Makes sense, it is to avoid sounding like they are swearing at him.

You know how it is with accents... imagine all the mistakes which could occur.
    Last edited by Beskar; 09-25-2013 at 04:02.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (2):

Makes sense, it is to avoid sounding like they are swearing at him.

You know how it is with accents... imagine all the mistakes which could occur.
    If Vuk sounds like a swear when you say it, then you are not pronouncing it correctly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    If Vuk sounds like a swear when you say it, then you are not pronouncing it correctly.
    Accents, Mister Vook.

Over here, Some regions say Dok for Duck (and similar for something else). So which ever way, you are can be interpreted as saying something unpleasant.

For those not Vuk-savvy.
    Last edited by Beskar; 09-26-2013 at 21:21.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.