Thread: Designating a target

Default Designating a target

Ive been told you can designate a target for your allies to attack etc. But I cant seem to figure out how it works. Any help on this subject?
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Default Re: Designating a target

Occasionally, if you have a client state or military/defensive ally, you get a message saying that there is a target available for war. I've been looking around the diplomacy window to see if I kind find anything on that but it just seems to be translating into "A higher (or 100%) chance that your ally will accept your request to join a war".

It's hidden on the diplomacy main screen. Before you select any factions, look on the bottom left of the diplomacy screen and one of the buttons there is 'designate target'. Hit it then select something on the map and your allies will flail around innefectually before launching a poorly chosen stack of unsuitable units in the vague direction of it who will then position themselves to completely fail to support your armies, and when you finally do manage to get them to come along as re-inforcements they will throw themselves at the enemy with reckless abandon long before your army gets into position, leaving you to fight them as if they weren't there at all.

At least thats what happened to me every time.
    I was trying to find some help in the ancient military journals of General Tacticus, who's intelligent campaigning had been so successful that he'd lent his very name to the detailed prosecution of martial endeavour, and had actually found a section headed "What To Do If One Army Occupies A Well-Fortified And Superior Ground And The Other Does Not", but since the first sentence read "Endeavour to be the one inside" I'd rather lost heart.

Member thankful for this post:

Lemur 

Sounds like... Yeah sounds about right ^^

"I'm helping! I'm helping! Owie, hurry come help me I'm dyyyyyying!"

alright cool. I appreciate it. Rome II is pretty good I think but im still a shogun II fan... With my 451 hours of playing it ;)
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

It works for me in my Averni game. I start with a def. ally whcih I made into a full-fledged military ally. I designate a target and they ran two and a half stacks at it. They beat an army which was in my way and I just came up to mop up. IMO it works quite well.

Does anyone know the rquirements before the AI would join a confederation?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Beating them into submission is one way. At that point the join confederation button becomes a way to conquer them quicker.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

But by that time why would I wan to do that instead of just gobbling up their settlements? A Confederation in-game means I get their settlements but they still are alive and have some armies?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    But by that time why would I wan to do that instead of just gobbling up their settlements? A Confederation in-game means I get their settlements but they still are alive and have some armies?
    Nope. A confederation means you get all of their stuff. Towns, generals, armies and possibly agents. Not sure about the latter.

A confederation is different from a client state/satrapy. AFAIK barbarian factions can't make other factions client states ect at all.

Confederation is only available if there of a similar clan type (same blood in their diplomacy screen) and the major influence on this is a foreign threat to that nation. Peacable one-settlement factions that you have great relations with won't join most of the time. Sometimes a major gift of gold will make them consider it, and that gold is lost, even though all the clans other posessions become yours (I figure their former faction leader retires to live like a king in Patagonia on his ill-gotten wealth). If an enemy nation of a different culture is at war with them, the chances go up a bit. If a nation of a different culture is actually invading their lands then the chances are much better. If they are close to losing it all then they will usually pay you handsomely to take over. In this instance I think (but cannot be certain) you don't have to be at war with their former aggressor, but they are even more likely to accept if you are, and more than once I've used it as a bargaining chip. The other way to make them accept is to park an army they know they can''t easily beat near their settlement and declare war. Twice I've fought and won a major victory against another celtic clan and then got them to join (and pay me for the privelage) immediately after, as they see their doom at hand.

When they do accept all current settlements, fleets and armies immediately transfer to your ownership I've never gained any money other than that done as part of the deal to join your confederation. If this would put you over the army cap the generals of the smallest armies will retire with the proper message, just like if you retired one of your own generals. At first these new generals won't show up on your faction screen, and I'm not sure if thats a bug or not, because I've had them show up later once they started earning some prestige. I assume it just takes a year for it to process the new members, but am not certain. I've never had agents transfer, but I'm always at or above the agent cap, so this could be the reason behind half a dozen 'retired' messages. This is interesting as the agent cap allows you to tempt people and go over it, but seemingly not buy nations and go over it.

The old faction ceases to exist at all, and will not come back except through 'liberate city' or rebellions. The first time you do this your faction is re-named (I became the Gaelic Confederation, a name that sucks) but otherwise no difference. As this can only happen to 'same blood' clans AFAIK you cannot get units or buildings you can't build out of it at all.

I think thats it.
    I was trying to find some help in the ancient military journals of General Tacticus, who's intelligent campaigning had been so successful that he'd lent his very name to the detailed prosecution of martial endeavour, and had actually found a section headed "What To Do If One Army Occupies A Well-Fortified And Superior Ground And The Other Does Not", but since the first sentence read "Endeavour to be the one inside" I'd rather lost heart.

A faction needs to be of the same subculture as you for them to join your confederation, so Celtic, Briton, Germanic, Iberian... not sure if there are others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    A faction needs to be of the same subculture as you for them to join your confederation, so Celtic, Briton, Germanic, Iberian... not sure if there are others.
    Germans being separate I understand, but Gauls, the British factions, the Iberian factions, and several others, are all "Celtic"...so is it more restricted than that? For example, Iceni couldn't confederate Lusitani, even though they're both Celtic?

Haven't played a Celtic faction yet...answer to this might influence which one I try when I get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    Germans being separate I understand, but Gauls, the British factions, the Iberian factions, and several others, are all "Celtic"...so is it more restricted than that? For example, Iceni couldn't confederate Lusitani, even though they're both Celtic?

Haven't played a Celtic faction yet...answer to this might influence which one I try when I get around to it.
    Nope. I have only ever seen a federation in Spain between some 'Spanish' factions. As the Averni, I could only bring the people that run around modern day France into my Gallic Confederation. I suppose the same is true for British and Germanic.