Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gameroom Mafia Discussion

Default Gameroom Mafia Discussion

I've been playing mafia here for a while now and on a few other sites, and I've got a few things I would like to discuss with all of you who visit and play in the gameroom about mafia.

1. About the content in posts:

I've played with lots of different day phase times, average post counts in games and plenty of other variables, however, I find the system here (24/24 generally) to be one of the better I've played with. That said, we don't post an awful lot in these posts and especially in the smaller games. I like that we put more effort towards flavour in a game, it makes the experience more enjoyable for all in my opinion. However, I would love to see even just a few more words per post, in a game, at least starting from Day 2 onwards, D1 is a lottery as far as I'm concerned no matter where you come from, but from D2 onwards I feel just a little more content in posts even if it is simply just "I find this guy scummy because he voted Player X D1." would be great. I'm very well aware that I'm guilty of this too and I will be attempting to make a change in my game. Keep in mind that I'm not asking you to post more often, just with a bit more content (this isn't an issue in the later stages of the game of course). I think it would make the game a better experience for all.

2. A place to chat about mafia related things and like:

Sometimes I would like to talk to people about a certain setup or a role or a game or just have a chat about anything in general. I feel if we had a discussion thread it would facilitate those needs. I don't think I'm the only one (or at least I hope not) who likes to talk about mafia and shoot the shit in general.

3. All lists need a third item.
    I can't think of a third thing right now.

Anyway my main point is the first one, but I would also like to see this thread (or something like it be used to discuss mafia related things such as strategies, hosting, game setups, roles, and so on.
    Last edited by Visor; 09-27-2013 at 16:06.

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Gameroom Mafia Discussion

Can we have a gameroom cafe thread? it would be awesome IMO, and bring up activity, we have one in the mafia section of twc(which is smaller) and it is great.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

I heartily approve this thread. Use this for your Mafia and other discussion.

TRY to keep it on the subject of mafia/gameroom related topics.

If it becomes as off-topic as the one at TWC I will close it. We do have a frontroom and backroom.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

I'm absolutely excited over the upcoming Resident Evil 2 game. ATPG probably knows what huge luck I had at escaping out of the first game alive.

- Surviving the first attack on the bridge by a Serial Killer and another Special Zombie.
    - Accidentally moving away from the bridge, the round the Tyrant arrived and murdered pretty much everyone, and returning to the bridge the very next turn after everyone (Tyrant included) was dead.
    - Running trough the city without any Zombie attacks.
    - Meeting up with a friendly and uber-geared SynTech merc group posing as S.T.A.R.S that fortunately also had the Metal Detector I needed to escape.
    - Not being killed by the Mini-Tyrant guys (The doctor that was with me since the bridge died there, I think).
    - Surviving getting shot by a sniper one turn away from escaping
    - And finally actually managing to escape through the minefield, and getting out of there alive without turning to a zombie.

I hope my massive streak of luck continues.
    BLARGH!

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*sees interesting thread, stumbles out of his cave*

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    1. About the content in posts:

I've played with lots of different day phase times, average post counts in games and plenty of other variables, however, I find the system here (24/24 generally) to be one of the better I've played with. That said, we don't post an awful lot in these posts and especially in the smaller games. I like that we put more effort towards flavour in a game, it makes the experience more enjoyable for all in my opinion. However, I would love to see even just a few more words per post, in a game, at least starting from Day 2 onwards, D1 is a lottery as far as I'm concerned no matter where you come from, but from D2 onwards I feel just a little more content in posts even if it is simply just "I find this guy scummy because he voted Player X D1." would be great. I'm very well aware that I'm guilty of this too and I will be attempting to make a change in my game. Keep in mind that I'm not asking you to post more often, just with a bit more content (this isn't an issue in the later stages of the game of course). I think it would make the game a better experience for all.
    I think this is an issue of seepage. Okay, so nobody has any data to go off of for the D1 vote, that's been a constant. But let me explain.

Back in the Before Time, before the metagame evolved to the way it did, yeah, nobody had any concrete data to use, but people actually tried. They'd probe, question, do other weird/wacky/etc things, something besides just throwing out a blatantly random vote. This allowed for the collection of some data to be used on D2, thus starting the actual process of the town using publicly-provided information (i.e. the thread) to root out the mafia.

Now? Things have changed. Basically everyone's throwing out blatantly random votes. The reasons for this are mainly a) there's no real data, so why look stupid and b) it no longer stands out in the crowd. Nobody wants to make waves on Day 1. The problem with this sort of thinking is that it's bad for the town in the long run. Why? Now we go from *some* data being produced on D1 to *no* (or, if we're feeling generous, very little) data being produced on D1. This means that once again, there's not really that much to discuss on D2, thus starting the whole "no conversation" process all over again. Theoretically, we could get to the point where the entire game is played on autopilot and the only way things are resolved are either through lucky guesses or night actions shedding light on things. It's an extremely gradual process, but I could see it happening - and it's already starting.

At a certain point, the town has to make the leap and realize that you can't analyze data without generating data, and if that means putting yourself out there, so be it. Unfortunately, the only way I can see this happening without the host artificially intervening is another natural evolution of the metagame, which will take time.

Basically, it's on us as townies to not be afraid to actually be productive on D1.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Day one should be used as the day you declare in a loud, steady voice:

I am willing to lynch johnhughthom, today, and watch his body burn to ashes, because I am not his mafia partner, and if I am, I'm perfectly comfortable pulling a History Of Violence and going it alone.

It's basically the day you do not bus your mafia partner unless you really really want to regret it when you do.

It's the day you remove yourself from the "I am possibly mafia with this guy" pairings.

But you have to really try to get them killed, or you're just making noise.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I'm absolutely excited over the upcoming Resident Evil 2 game. ATPG probably knows what huge luck I had at escaping out of the first game alive.

- Surviving the first attack on the bridge by a Serial Killer and another Special Zombie.
    - Accidentally moving away from the bridge, the round the Tyrant arrived and murdered pretty much everyone, and returning to the bridge the very next turn after everyone (Tyrant included) was dead.
    - Running trough the city without any Zombie attacks.
    - Meeting up with a friendly and uber-geared SynTech merc group posing as S.T.A.R.S that fortunately also had the Metal Detector I needed to escape.
    - Not being killed by the Mini-Tyrant guys (The doctor that was with me since the bridge died there, I think).
    - Surviving getting shot by a sniper one turn away from escaping
    - And finally actually managing to escape through the minefield, and getting out of there alive without turning to a zombie.

I hope my massive streak of luck continues.
    You can tell the game was fun when 3-4 years later, a player remembers every single thing that happened to them.

Request an invite if you haven't already, peoples.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    You can tell the game was fun when 3-4 years later, a player remembers every single thing that happened to them.

Request an invite if you haven't already, peoples.
    Yup. This game was a carnival of fun. And that's me speaking as a guy who was literally the most cowardly person in the game, who ran away from every fight and scurried across the map like the scared mouse I was until I figured a way out of the trap. I can't even imagine how much fun all the mercs and plague fellers and other actually productive townies had. C'mon peeps. This game's gonna be legendary.

As for the D1 randomness issues, the old general pretty much nailed it on the head. At the end of the day, even the best designed game falls flat on its face without the players actually putting in the bravery and prerogative to make it work. The players need to start the ball rolling in D1, even if it's just with entertaining randomness. That's actually alright. But in D2, the try-hard pants have to come on, even if all you've got is to fish for reactions. Just because there isn't data doesn't mean you can't create it. A couple ruthless bandwagons onto two or three people can often create this, but it requires the town to actually commit to them in order to generate reaction.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Visor 

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053551543
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053551545

Eye candy. Map is 50% completed.

Gives you a general idea of what the finished product will look like. Picture a ton more buildings, like an actual city, not an empty grid of streets.

Drool, my minions. Drool.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Eating Babies since 1983 Member Sprig's Avatar

Basically, it's on us as townies to not be afraid to actually be productive on D1.
    I have commented on this in the game I am about to host, Sometimes the impression I get from some games is that, if your a townie and you die, then you suck. When in actual fact, its ok to sacrifice yourself for the greater good. We don't tell solders that they suck if they die while serving their country. Instead we honor them.

So here's to you fallen townies! We honor your contribution!
    Bad.

Zack 

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    I heartily approve this thread. Use this for your Mafia and other discussion.

TRY to keep it on the subject of mafia/gameroom related topics.

If it becomes as off-topic as the one at TWC I will close it. We do have a frontroom and backroom.
    How OT are your diamond balls?

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
    I have commented on this in the game I am about to host, Sometimes the impression I get from some games is that, if your a townie and you die, then you suck. When in actual fact, its ok to sacrifice yourself for the greater good. We don't tell solders that they suck if they die while serving their country. Instead we honor them.

So here's to you fallen townies! We honor your contribution!
    I agree, but sometimes it is difficult to remain concerned when you die N2. (So Scumbags stop killing me N2 )

Just kidding, someone has to go N2
    Last edited by Darth Feather; 09-28-2013 at 12:31.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Feather View Post
    I agree, but sometimes it is difficult to remain concerned when you die N2. (So Scumbags stop killing me N2 )
    [/SIZE]
    yeah, scumbags!
    please be nice, do what he wants and kill him night one!

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jarema View Post
    yeah, scumbags!
    please be nice, do what he wants and kill him night one!
    That wasn't exactly what I meant ....

But to stay on-topic: A board to discuss games and stuff is certainly usefull. It can only do good to the Gameroom.
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    *sees interesting thread, stumbles out of his cave*

I think this is an issue of seepage. Okay, so nobody has any data to go off of for the D1 vote, that's been a constant. But let me explain.

Back in the Before Time, before the metagame evolved to the way it did, yeah, nobody had any concrete data to use, but people actually tried. They'd probe, question, do other weird/wacky/etc things, something besides just throwing out a blatantly random vote. This allowed for the collection of some data to be used on D2, thus starting the actual process of the town using publicly-provided information (i.e. the thread) to root out the mafia.

Now? Things have changed. Basically everyone's throwing out blatantly random votes. The reasons for this are mainly a) there's no real data, so why look stupid and b) it no longer stands out in the crowd. Nobody wants to make waves on Day 1. The problem with this sort of thinking is that it's bad for the town in the long run. Why? Now we go from *some* data being produced on D1 to *no* (or, if we're feeling generous, very little) data being produced on D1. This means that once again, there's not really that much to discuss on D2, thus starting the whole "no conversation" process all over again. Theoretically, we could get to the point where the entire game is played on autopilot and the only way things are resolved are either through lucky guesses or night actions shedding light on things. It's an extremely gradual process, but I could see it happening - and it's already starting.

At a certain point, the town has to make the leap and realize that you can't analyze data without generating data, and if that means putting yourself out there, so be it. Unfortunately, the only way I can see this happening without the host artificially intervening is another natural evolution of the metagame, which will take time.

I also think a big part of the problem is that people have become so reliant on night actions and vague buzzwords (e.g. he's "scummy").

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Maybe we could have some enforced roleplaying (like the time when I made Winston play a cat).
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

I keep meaning to post something here, and now I actually have the time.

Realistically I have little to add to an amalgamation of what GH, 'khaan and Zack have said. Random votes generate little information and lead to less analysis, as well as lowering the chances of town success.

While one way of improving the situation is to rely on a concerted effort to change our mindsets and approaches - less overt randomness and more focus from Day 1, etc. - I wonder whether there might be other ways. In an ideal world, more activity would lead to more information, but clearly people have lives outside off Mafia, and cannot be expected to post more than they already do. Really, with this trend, the balance is starting to shift in favour of the mafia, and, although this may be just me, it seems that mafia successes are becoming more common.

I also (vaguely) remember previous eras, and one thing which I think could conceivably improve gameplay is a return to the mafiosi having to write their own kill descriptions. Yes, it is a labour-intensive process, but it does add to the flavour (as well as eclecticism) and increases the amount of information available to the town.

Role-playing, as El Barto suggests, might also be an option for themed games...
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Members thankful for this post (2):

In role-heavy games at least, things should definitely get rolling by D2.

***post reminiscing about Buffy 2***

EDIT: In fact, role-heavy games should have 48-hour D2s.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 10-05-2013 at 05:18.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

A game was just won by a 3 man mafia team with a combined post total of 20. If we allow such lurkiness to be rewarded, and fail to comment on it after games, it's no surprise that activity falls overall.

Not having a dig at the mafia team here really, more the town that let it happen (in the case of BSmith AGAIN X150!!! ).
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 10-05-2013 at 05:24.

What did I used to always say? No lurker victories?

We enforced it so well that we ended up losing games just to make a point of making sure victory was denied to the lurkers. So the gangsters finally stopped.

We've been lax, and now, they can skate by the final round without even voting and win flawlessly.

I won't even beat them up for it. That's all on the town. In fact, pulling that off is actually ballsy, especially given the blatantly scummy last second save the round prior.

And what did I always say about last second voting?

BAH!!! It's like my teachings have been forgotten like so much lore about the Ring of Power.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Let us all get out our copies of The Mafia Bible, and turn to the Book of Askthepizzaguy, Chapter 12, Verse 5:

Behold, the man who doth not policy-lynch lurkers doth possess the intelligence of a stinky butthole.
    And lest we forget, from the same book, Chapter 1, Verse 17:

And on the seventh day, the scumbag didst place a last-second vote to save his ugly partner.

I like idea of introducing voting on something else than lynch (in addition to regular lynch)
    Of course, it is not applicable to many mafia games, but to some of them it is. If we allow players to vote for something besides lynch (e.g. item, or - like in my game - jailing someone, or appointing a mayor), that will generate lot more data for analyzing day two

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Thou shalt not metagame in vain.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

All this talk of lurking mafia victories has me thinking about two of the worst losses I ever suffered from over-active scum bags.

One was Midgard 3, first half of that felt like a drunken frat party where you may have done things best left unremembered...then when I turned serious in the second half and was trying to kill/lynch TinCow, I found Reenk was blocking my every move. Then to rub salt in my wounds, TinCow made an obvious kill write-up pointing right at him and just brushed it off as a frame job. It was hilarious when Reenk died and found out he was protecting his arch-nemesis the whole game but that still stands as one of the more bitter tasting defeats I had.

The other is Shadow fort...What happeneds when your Mason buddy is forced-recruited into scum and you have tons of third party roles wanted to kill but not lynch the scumbag? Hilarity and bitter tasting defeat...they lynched me to be sure and kept Pizzaguy alive to kill him in combat. When he kept surviving and the body count piled up is the point where I think I saw the humor in it all...

I sometimes like to look back and see what I did wrong then...I kept coming to the conclusion that I just talked too much. I could be wrong though...

Quote Originally Posted by White_eyes:D View Post
    The other is Shadow fort...What happeneds when your Mason buddy is forced-recruited into scum and you have tons of third party roles wanted to kill but not lynch the scumbag? Hilarity and bitter tasting defeat...they lynched me to be sure and kept Pizzaguy alive to kill him in combat. When he kept surviving and the body count piled up is the point where I think I saw the humor in it all...
    Oh, I was laughing pretty hard when I outed myself and they lynched you instead, as I was offering fake and worthless recruitment invitations to the townies for the luls, not even a serious attempt at confusion.

I deserved to get killed right at the end, given how much combat I saw. But the body count made everything better.

Was also funny how I picked out the last scum guy and worked really hard to make sure he didn't get killed so town would lose no matter what happened.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 10-06-2013 at 18:12.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

I'm been tossing around the idea of a 9 player game with a cult. I know I'd need an inquisitor and an alarmist. Any other ideas?

It'd have a bunch of vanilla townies, and a cult leader (maybe godfather) who has a 1 shot recruitment, and there is an alarmist and an inquisitor, cannot no lynch. Does that sound reasonable?

EDIT: One of the funnier things I've seen in a game was when Johnhughthom 'outed' our entire mafia team, and we went on to thrash the town and were going to win if the host hadn't abandoned the game.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I like idea of introducing voting on something else than lynch (in addition to regular lynch)
    Of course, it is not applicable to many mafia games, but to some of them it is. If we allow players to vote for something besides lynch (e.g. item, or - like in my game - jailing someone, or appointing a mayor), that will generate lot more data for analyzing day two
    I generally hate item voting, jailing and voting for positions and would often be put off a game that has them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I generally hate item voting, jailing and voting for positions and would often be put off a game that has them.
    The general problem with item voting is that it can become a popularity contest, or they can just be given to a heavily experienced player which they tend to be, over anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    I'm been tossing around the idea of a 9 player game with a cult. I know I'd need an inquisitor and an alarmist. Any other ideas?
    I am just toying with my 'smallest cult' setup for 8 players. So I will not help you

But I wish you good setup

I am just toying with my 'smallest cult' setup for 8 players. So I will not help you

But I wish you good setup
    8 Players? An even number? Would you have any kills? (Give me something to run with :p)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast