Thread: Where is my Bible thread???

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Default Where is my Bible thread???

I was promised an explanation for why you believe the Bible to be [insert definition of your choice]. Clocks are ticking...
    Status Emeritus

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Where is my Bible thread???

By who? TotalRelism?

Or is this something I have talked about ages ago?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Member thankful for this post:

Sigurd 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I don't really have an opinion on it. Fun fact though, I sometimes have to look after my mom's house and her maid keeps trying to convert me. She is always singing psalms when I am there, and wants to know how I think about jezus and his message because I am such a good person (don't tell her what my weekends can look like). She is a really sweet person so I don't mind. The bible is a nice way of peeling apart history, but it's just a collection of texts for me.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Perhaps you should try O'Reilly's "Killing Jesus." Certainly gonna be some biblical implications from that.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Perhaps you should try O'Reilly's "Killing Jesus." Certainly gonna be some biblical implications from that.
    Oh man, I saw that. Jesus died for our taxes....... seriously.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I peaked at the end - the devil did it.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    I peaked at the end - the devil did it.
    No, Revelations isn't the last part of the NT it was the trailer for the sequel. It never got produced as the special effects were to costly (come on an entire planets GDP for years!), the actor for the main villian had input to his role and kept rewriting it, and the hero from the NT felt it was too big a transition from lead love interest in a drama to action hero to be believable.

So the producers just decided to live off the profits from the books with regional translations and occasional modern interpretations along with the occasional musical and film reproduction.

Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

They'll probably just do a reboot of the series soon

If I started a competitive Christian video game club, I would have the motto be 'Christ died for our wins.'

I was going to post this in random thoughts thread, but it fit better here.

What a waste of opertunity, why didn't you come up with 'crosshair, bear it' or 'Abandon all hope, thee who enters this server'

When I was hosting Rogue Spear games I had the description 'beats not thou breast and curse thoust evil fate, but praise the builder for the trials that shape thee'' Vuk gets that one
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-01-2013 at 11:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    When I was hosting Rogue Spear games I had the description 'beats not thou breast and curse thoust evil fate, but praise the builder for the trials that shape thee'' Vuk gets that one
    *cough* "Beat not thy breast nor curse thy evil fate, but give praises to the builder of the trials that shape thee" *cough*
    Last edited by Sigurd; 10-01-2013 at 19:12. Reason: trails - trials
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    *cough* "Beat not thy breast nor curse thy evil fate, but give praises to the builder of the trails that shape thee" *cough*
    You'r my boyyyyy! Yes but that didn't fit into the space given. Had to massage it a bit.

// files Sigurd under A of awesome

Edit, for those of you who have absolutily no idea what we are talking about it's from Thief, http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EYpdfEGRl1o the best game ever made. Vuk was tricked into thinking that Thief 2 was better, taffer as he is, but there can only be one and that is the first. Second one is second best game ever made.

Thief = scariest game ever. No contest.

Best cutscene ever, and ever and ever http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAzkPkiImo
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-01-2013 at 13:02.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    If I started a competitive Christian video game club, I would have the motto be 'Christ died for our wins.'

I was going to post this in random thoughts thread, but it fit better here.

Ouch. Just Ouch.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I'm sorry, I know I can do better.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

I love the Bible. I believe that it is the founding book of the culture and faith of the majority of the population of earth. I don't understand the reason for being or the point of the Bible, but then again, I don't understand why people give birth to other people, why we suffer and die, why the space outside of the universe is infinite, and why life is important -among at least a few other things. So, the Bible. It is a story that I believe was inspired by God, whom I can't begin to comprehend, which gives us direction on how to live our otherwise pointless lives in order to get closer to God and our fellow human beings, for some reason. Why not? We're all dead anyway, Richard Dawkins isn't going to judge us at the pearly gates of Darwin for how logical we were. Probably.

Plus, I enjoy reading it.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 10-03-2013 at 05:01.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Only a third of the world is Christian that's not a majority.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Only a third of the world is Christian that's not a majority.
    The Bible is still the foundational book of Islam through there Koran and most secular westerners, whether they like it or not
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    The Bible is still the foundational book of Islam through there Koran and most secular westerners, whether they like it or not
    Then you might as well say the OT is the founding book.

As for culture you will find much in the west that predates the Bible that was used within it, likewise a lot of culture that is outside of it too.

Why say OT? Islam recognizes both. In Islam Jesus will come on the last Day to assist the Mahdi with in destroying Satan and leading people to judgement

Yes, much predates Abrahamic faith, but to argue that the Bible is not the foundational book of the majority of human beings living today would not be easy to defend. Plato and Aristotle were foundational thinkers, but I know few common people who have spent 1 day per week for most of their lives reading them.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 10-03-2013 at 05:28.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Culture is not just books. It is word of mouth, food and geography. The foundations of western culture predate and permeate the bible. The bible is a cultural byproduct not the orgin of western culture.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 10-03-2013 at 08:33. Reason: Spelling

Members thankful for this post (3):

Ok, sure

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    ... who I know the OP was mocking with this thread.
    Not mocking... I am genuinely interested in peoples beliefs. And why they think the Bible is what they profess it to be (as there are not only one definition to its religious importance).

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    I love the Bible. I believe that it is the founding book of the culture and faith of the majority of the population of earth. I don't understand the reason for being or the point of the Bible, but then again, I don't understand why people give birth to other people, why we suffer and die, why the space outside of the universe is infinite, and why life is important -among at least a few other things. So, the Bible. It is a story that I believe was inspired by God, whom I can't begin to comprehend, which gives us direction on how to live our otherwise pointless lives in order to get closer to God and our fellow human beings, for some reason. Why not? We're all dead anyway, Richard Dawkins isn't going to judge us at the pearly gates of Darwin for how logical we were. Probably.

Plus, I enjoy reading it.
    Right so you think the story in the Bible is inspired as in.. it was written by fallible men and thus contains the faults of writing, but not content.. which was given men for interpretation and recording. (putting words in your "mouth" here).
    Status Emeritus

Sure. I am a Catholic, not some nutbag evangelical who believes God put fossils into the ground to trick us into believing that the earth is more than 6k years old.

I believe that God transforms water and wine into the body and blood of his son Jesus Christ who is both fully man and fully God, in unity with the Father and the Holy Spirit. See? Totally different. Their beliefs are crazy where as mine are less crazy. By a measure. And you know what? The idea that I was born without purpose and will die and cease to exist still strikes me as less plausible in my mind. If I really believed that, I would honestly, most likely, be stealing, killing, and raping everything I see.

But I still believe in justice and blood atonement for Sins and I don't believe that we are alone, or meaningless. I also know that existence is so absurd that lots of stuff seems less crazy. The Bible provides a light in the darkness. I also like the Koran. Personally, I believe that everyone is part of the Catholic church, whether they like it or not. The OT is as flawed as the NT, the Koran as flawed as it's predecessors - and I believe that Mohammad was a prophet, and it it wasn't for his violence and Arianism-like theology, that he would be a Saint (even though violence and strict monotheism didn't keep the OT prophets from revered status). All were inspired by God. Even the pagan stuff where they must have been too busy playing mahjong or football to write it down correctly.

Syncretism within the Catholic Church. It can be your religion too.

What the heck do I know?
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 10-03-2013 at 11:45.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

at OP

if your referring to me i am truly sorry, i have been very busy. I will be doing one more objections to the bible thread first, than why believe the bible is true. I already have the topics for the last objections to the bible picked out and ready to post,just waiting for a good chunk of time to do so to be able to respond to posts, not sure when that is yet.
    Last edited by total relism; 10-03-2013 at 15:27.
    “Its been said that when human beings stop believing in god they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse, they believe in anything.” Malcolm maggeridge

The simple believes every word: but the prudent man looks well to his going. Proverbs -14.15
    The first to present his case seems right,till another comes forward and questions him -Proverbs 18.17

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    Genesis 1.1

Members thankful for this post (2):

I couldn't find anywhere else to put this line (that made me smile):

You don’t need freedom of speech if you let Jesus think for you.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Christianity is not the biggest religion...

Does anyone actually KNOW if all the different offspring religions even together make it to the top?

Of course, then You have to agree with the old Christianity = Jews = Islam = Russian Church = Church of England = church of Sweden...

And I can tell you, the church of Sweden has like NOTHING to do with jews. Like, ever.

Had quite a laught though when someone mentioned christianity as the no. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    And I can tell you, the church of Sweden has like NOTHING to do with jews. Like, ever.
    Other than wild anti-semitism, you're right.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Christianity is not the biggest religion...
    I am looking forward to the disclosure of which religion is the "biggest".
    Status Emeritus

I was obviously wrong...

If you count all kinds of Christianity as one, it is indeed the biggest. With that logic you could also toss Islam into the mix, and get a TRULY huge religion

Funny that, I seem to remember having learnt different in school... But I don't see how things would have changed since then

The monotheistic religion of Abraham is absolutely the largest Religion on Earth. They have nearly identical creation and eschatological stories. They share almost all of the same prophets. The specifics are on denominational issues.

But, by itself, Christianity is the largest.
    There aren't too many Jewish people on the planet earth, but that is mostly related to that faith not being evangelical.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 10-09-2013 at 01:36.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ