Thread: My army just vanished...

Default My army just vanished...

Has anyone else had this issue? I blockaded a port settlement (alalia) with a small fleet and a medium sized army embeded with the fleet.

I assaulted and the battle went about average, but the small fleet all sunk as they were outnumbered by enemy garrison fleets. After the battle I have the after screen clearly showing my fleet dead but my army alive, then I hit subdugate, and the army vanishes. So long 1000 men of Legio 1, you sunk because 100 men got killed in boats, despite winning the battle and hardly losing any men.

WTF?
    I was trying to find some help in the ancient military journals of General Tacticus, who's intelligent campaigning had been so successful that he'd lent his very name to the detailed prosecution of martial endeavour, and had actually found a section headed "What To Do If One Army Occupies A Well-Fortified And Superior Ground And The Other Does Not", but since the first sentence read "Endeavour to be the one inside" I'd rather lost heart.

Default Re: My army just vanished...

Maybe there is something in the way the game processes the order of events. So the navy sank, and the army was on the ships and those ships were listed as "sunk" before you took the city that army was flagged as "sunk"

I'm just guessing though, could be anything.

I had a situation in a MP campaign, where I lost a town (Thapsus I think, the one just next to Carthage) during an AI turn. As soon as it was my turn, I had the town back and the AI army that took it was gone XD

No idea what happened, OP. I do know that I've seen some weird things happen with fleets in port and coastal-settlement fights. I haven't lost an army, but did lose a decent-sized fleet (10-12 ships) that had taken zero casualties.

Did you still keep the town after exiting the results screen?

I'd subjugated rather than capyured it, and I think thats why it happened. The town (and faction as it was the last one they had) was a client state as it should have been. I think it may be because after you subdugate your army normally leaves the territory, and in this case there was only sea to leave onto, bu no longer a fleet to merge with.
    I was trying to find some help in the ancient military journals of General Tacticus, who's intelligent campaigning had been so successful that he'd lent his very name to the detailed prosecution of martial endeavour, and had actually found a section headed "What To Do If One Army Occupies A Well-Fortified And Superior Ground And The Other Does Not", but since the first sentence read "Endeavour to be the one inside" I'd rather lost heart.