Thread: Nobel Peace Prize 2013

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nobel Peace Prize 2013

....goes to OPCW.

Jagland is getting a bit rusty it seems, this is a prize few people will disagree strongly with. It's also a strong call for action in Syria though, I guess I'll have to settle for meddling this year.

Thoughts?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Nobel Peace Prize 2013

I was rooting for Malala Yousafzai.

Members thankful for this post (4):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I'll laugh the day someone simply doesn't bother to receive it.
    @Lemur, now she is something special, she has more guts than... well I can't think of anyone really. Kudo's for her.
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-11-2013 at 17:45.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Even more scientifically quantifiable Nobel prizes are increasingly becoming politicized.

And the peace prize was always a joke. This doesn't deserve a thread.

Member thankful for this post:

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Based on the award parameters set out for the prize, it is understandable why the OCPW edged out Yousafzai. Like you, however, my Lemury pal, I would have preferred her. Oh well.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Lemur 

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Even more scientifically quantifiable Nobel prizes are increasingly becoming politicized.
    The Peace Prize is purely political, complete with a stated political agenda, while the others have always been politicized. Not so much now, but a lot more in the past.

Seamus: Apparently the reasoning behind giving it to the opcw was to give the effort against wmd's a push, and I can't really see what giving the prize to Malala would've pushed. An inspiration for muslim women around the world to fight for their rights? Tawakkul Karman got that prize in 2011, it's too soon for a repeat.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

I also don't quite know whether Malala would've been better, although I think her push to promote education for everyone can also lead to a more peaceful world since education can work against prejudices and antagonism etc.
    Last edited by Husar; 10-12-2013 at 00:17.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Seamus: Apparently the reasoning behind giving it to the opcw was to give the effort against wmd's a push, and I can't really see what giving the prize to Malala would've pushed. An inspiration for muslim women around the world to fight for their rights? Tawakkul Karman got that prize in 2011, it's too soon for a repeat.
    More or less exactly as I evaluated their decision. I said I would have preferred the lass get it, but I acknowledge that, within the framework of what the prize was established to do/reward, the choice of OPCW is more or less spot on.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken