Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nobel Peace Prize 2013

Default Nobel Peace Prize 2013

....goes to OPCW.

Jagland is getting a bit rusty it seems, this is a prize few people will disagree strongly with. It's also a strong call for action in Syria though, I guess I'll have to settle for meddling this year.

Thoughts?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Nobel Peace Prize 2013

I was rooting for Malala Yousafzai.

Members thankful for this post (4):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I'll laugh the day someone simply doesn't bother to receive it.
    @Lemur, now she is something special, she has more guts than... well I can't think of anyone really. Kudo's for her.
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-11-2013 at 17:45.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Even more scientifically quantifiable Nobel prizes are increasingly becoming politicized.

And the peace prize was always a joke. This doesn't deserve a thread.

Member thankful for this post:

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Based on the award parameters set out for the prize, it is understandable why the OCPW edged out Yousafzai. Like you, however, my Lemury pal, I would have preferred her. Oh well.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Lemur 

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Even more scientifically quantifiable Nobel prizes are increasingly becoming politicized.
    The Peace Prize is purely political, complete with a stated political agenda, while the others have always been politicized. Not so much now, but a lot more in the past.

Seamus: Apparently the reasoning behind giving it to the opcw was to give the effort against wmd's a push, and I can't really see what giving the prize to Malala would've pushed. An inspiration for muslim women around the world to fight for their rights? Tawakkul Karman got that prize in 2011, it's too soon for a repeat.

I also don't quite know whether Malala would've been better, although I think her push to promote education for everyone can also lead to a more peaceful world since education can work against prejudices and antagonism etc.
    Last edited by Husar; 10-12-2013 at 00:17.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Seamus: Apparently the reasoning behind giving it to the opcw was to give the effort against wmd's a push, and I can't really see what giving the prize to Malala would've pushed. An inspiration for muslim women around the world to fight for their rights? Tawakkul Karman got that prize in 2011, it's too soon for a repeat.
    More or less exactly as I evaluated their decision. I said I would have preferred the lass get it, but I acknowledge that, within the framework of what the prize was established to do/reward, the choice of OPCW is more or less spot on.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    [The NPP] lost all credibility (if it still had any) when it gave that other one to Obama.
    Oh, I think it debased itself well before that.

Henry Kissinger.

Yasser Arafat.

'Nuff said.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Who cares about this prize? It lost all credibility (if it still had any) when it gave that other one to Obama.
    Lost it way before it was given to Obama. If someone wanted to give it to me for whatever reason I would simply refuse it.

Doesn't it come with lots of money? I'd take one.
    That changes everything. Who do I have to kill to make peace somewhere. I crave peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Oh, I think it debased itself well before that.

Henry Kissinger.

Yasser Arafat.

'Nuff said.
    Kissinger's Peace Prize is understandable given the circumstances and period of time in which it was given, and even holds up today when taking a broad view of his actions, despite the revelations of some of his less than peaceful endeavors in South America, etc. Obama's? Not so much.

Doesn't it come with lots of money? I'd take one.
    Roughly 1.25M USD at current rates.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Kissinger's Peace Prize is understandable given the circumstances and period of time in which it was given, and even holds up today when taking a broad view of his actions, despite the revelations of some of his less than peaceful endeavors in South America, etc. Obama's? Not so much.
    The Obama award was made to encourage efforts at peace-making. Hortore published their award criteria a few threads back (at the Obama award I believe), and using the award to encourage efforts at peace-making is one of the specific criterion used.

I tend to have a typical Yank's view about awards -- that they are given in recognition of something you have ACHIEVED ALREADY. From such a perspective, the Obama award was patently silly since it was more of a "you make us feel better so do some more peacenik stuff" award than anything else.

In fairness to the committee in Oslo (only Norwegian Nobel), they ARE abiding by the criteria outlined for the award at its inception and "encouraging efforts" is one of the guidelines.

The fact that I find it silly does not mean that they are not making the award as it was intended.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Please have in mind that this is the NORWEGIAN Nobel prize.

They don't exactly have a stellar history, and their modern choices have been reminiscent of HoreTore after a night out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Please have in mind that this is the NORWEGIAN Nobel prize.

They don't exactly have a stellar history, and their modern choices have been reminiscent of HoreTore after a night out.
    Actually, to provide credit where it is due, Horetore's PWD has been pretty consistent with his PWS. The Oslo Nobel folk however....

Previous choices say less about the credibility of the award as a whole and more about the Scandinavians making the decision.

If I remember correctly, the Kissenger prize was followed up by the resignation of two Nobel committee members in disgust over the choice.

The idea of honoring the peace bringers is still a very noble one in my opinion and the award is not diminished in any way when more suitable choices will be made in the future.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    The Obama award was made to encourage efforts at peace-making. Hortore published their award criteria a few threads back (at the Obama award I believe), and using the award to encourage efforts at peace-making is one of the specific criterion used.

I tend to have a typical Yank's view about awards -- that they are given in recognition of something you have ACHIEVED ALREADY. From such a perspective, the Obama award was patently silly since it was more of a "you make us feel better so do some more peacenik stuff" award than anything else.

In fairness to the committee in Oslo (only Norwegian Nobel), they ARE abiding by the criteria outlined for the award at its inception and "encouraging efforts" is one of the guidelines.

The fact that I find it silly does not mean that they are not making the award as it was intended.
    What's funny though, is that the ones you'd like to get the award, like Malala, is NOT a prize according to the criteria. Just like we know that the peace prize will be awarded every year, we also know that Fredrik S. Heffermehl will write an angry chronicle stating that the prize is not according to Nobel's will and that human rights, democracy etc has nothing to do with the prize. He's also critical this year, since the OPCW only seeks to ban one kind of weapon, not all weapons... Fortunately though, nobody cares about him.

Also, I have to ask: what has Malala actually achieved? Is there peace in Pakistan now, thanks to her efforts?

Maybe it just shows how shallow and fake our world is if even the wisest of committees are unable to see which efforts for peace are genuine.

I will admit that watching Malala on the Daily Show I couldn't help but think that some of the things she said sounded like her media advisor told her to say that in order to get support. I really hope that she doesn't even have one but nowadays you never know. And I keep wondering about the people who call almost everything fake on the internet...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Is there peace because of Obama or peace because of Al Gore. She doesn't deserve the Nobel-price I fully agree, as the Nobel-price doesn't deserve her. I got a kilo of spinache in my fridge that has more credibility.

Edit, it are actually two ounces.
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-13-2013 at 12:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Obama
    Nuclear disarmament initiative coupled with the Cairo speech.

Al Gore.
    "Causes of war" human rights-thingy. Highlighting climate as a cause of war is what gave the IPCC the prize.

And anyway, you just disagree with the prize for them because you disagree with them politically. So your opinion is pretty much irrelevant.

Owwwww ouch Horrie, you are suggesting that the Nobel peace prize is not political? Just reading between the lines, but that would be hysterical

Owwwww ouch Horrie, you are suggesting that the Nobel peace prize is not political? Just reading between the lines, but that would be hysterical
    As I said in a previous post, the peace prize is purely political, as was intended by Nobel.

As I said in a previous post, the peace prize is purely political, as was intended by Nobel.
    After he died?

After he died?
    What do you mean?

What do you mean?
    He was a great guy but I doubt he agrees with what is given on behalf of him. Nobel peace prize commision isn't just arrogant and narcistic, that would be putting it too mildly.

He was a great guy but I doubt he agrees with what is given on behalf of him. Nobel peace prize commision isn't just arrogant and narcistic, that would be putting it too mildly.
    He outlined his political will before he died. The Nobel committee has gone further than that by including human rights activists as worthy recipients, however.

His political will, however, is clearly a long way from your political views, Frags. If you disagree with the prize, that's a clear sign the committee is doing it according to Nobel.

He outlined his political will before he died. The Nobel committee has gone further than that by including human rights activists as worthy recipients, however.
    How very Noble of them. I would just say that they are using it to Caput tuum in ano est in his honour but that's just me. No it isn't just me by the way, nobody takes the Nobel-peace prize seriously anymore, credibility has been lost. You should get one for free with cornflakes.

Edit: LOL@Ebru, my favorite Turkish powerbabe. Yeah, over 1700 victims of chemical weapons since 1915. Perspective and all that.

Dutchies only

http://www.geenstijl.nl/mt/archieven....html#comments

I am going to marry her one day and endure her temper.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-14-2013 at 17:48.

How very Noble of them. I would just say that they are using it to fistf*ck their own ideas in his honour but that's just me. No it isn't just me by the way, nobody takes the Nobel-peace prize seriously anymore, credibility has been lost. You should get one for free with cornflakes.
    So... You agree with the award for Obama and disagree with giving it to Liu Xiaobo then?

So... You agree with the award for Obama and disagree with giving it to Liu Xiaobo then?
    What does it matter, give a my little pony castle to whoever deserves it most instead. Has more credibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast