I have a question to the battle hardened veterans of EB. Where do you place your veterans and your green troops? Veterans up front and greens in reserve or greens up front and veterans in reserve? I ask this question because history has shown us that the Romans put their younger hastati up front with the veterans in reserve. Other commanders would do the same in various armies in later eras, but why would you? It is been said that barbarians usually put their veterans up front, is this necessarily true for all barbarians or just Gallic tribes? What's the best reason for doing this? Did the Roman system change after the Marion reforms? Were cohorts lined up according to the amount of experience they had? I know the first cohort was a veteran unit always on the right flank. Why was this? Did that mean the last cohort on the far left column of the legion was the least experienced?

One that I've found is that generals would put their green soldiers up front not necessarily to be cannon fodder but to slow the enemy momentum and break up their formation, so while the green soldiers would break and run, they would be faced with a fresh veteran line waiting to meet a disorganized and semi-fatigued line. But a more important aspect of putting greens up front would be to give the survivors battle experience. Is this how you play your EB battles? I know later on, we can consolidate stacks composed of all veterans, but what about when you have to fill it in with a green unit? Where do you place them? I mean melee troops.