Thread: Non-governing generals in peacetime

Default Non-governing generals in peacetime

I'm playing a pseudo-historical Romani campaign (thanks to Quintus Sertorius' guide) and I finished the First Punic War about 8 years ahead of schedule. All of my provinces have governors, and I'm stuck with half a stack of generals in Roma and various forts with nothing to do during the next few years of peace.

Just looking for some suggestions to keep them busy so they don't pick up unfavorable traits, without outright declaring war on anyone.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: Non-governing generals in peacetime

Quote Originally Posted by HopliteLegion View Post
    I'm playing a pseudo-historical Romani campaign (thanks to Quintus Sertorius' guide) and I finished the First Punic War about 8 years ahead of schedule. All of my provinces have governors, and I'm stuck with half a stack of generals in Roma and various forts with nothing to do during the next few years of peace.

Just looking for some suggestions to keep them busy so they don't pick up unfavorable traits, without outright declaring war on anyone.
    rotate them. who says they need to be in the same places?
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by HopliteLegion View Post

You could do what Republican Rome used to do, and help other factions that you want to cultivate as allies. That means sending a general out to an enemy territory, with a small Roman army and hiring local mercenaries to bulk it out, conquering a city, and then using the Force Diplomacy mod to give that city to one of your allies.

If you don't want war with another faction, you could concentrate on Eleutheroi targets, although it is usually easy to fight a short war with a distant faction which doesn't share a border with you, and then make peace with them afterwards. Generally, the AI only hates its neighbours, if you're not a neighbour, you're of less interest to them.

For example, you could help out Koinon Hellenon by taking Crete and then giving it to them. Maybe Halikarnassos and Pergamon too, or the two Bosphorus cities in the Crimea, or maybe Kyrene in North Africa. Or you could take Ankyra from the Eleutheroi and give it to the Arveni or Aedui, to create a little 'Galatian' faction which will recruit its own units and maybe fight off Pontus and Seleukia.

Your generals will get useful experience fighting the Eleutheroi that way.

You could even sail to Britain, fight the Casse, and set up the Aedui or Arveni as a rival to the Casse for control of Britain, preventing Casse domination of Britain.

If you don't want to feel like a Roman general is invading Britain or somewhere else too early, make sure his 'Roman' army is composed entirely of local mercenaries, and during battles, keep your Roman general safely in the rear out of the hand to hand fighting, and pretend he is just an 'advisor' to the locals.

Simply disband the mercenary units when you don't need them anymore, ideally in the city you've just conquered, just before you give it away to another faction.

It can be fun influencing the progress of other factions this way, like fighting a war by proxy, a bit like an 'ancient Cold War'.
    Last edited by Titus Marcellus Scato; 10-26-2013 at 11:52.

Member thankful for this post:

Kull 

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    You could do what Republican Rome used to do, and help other factions that you want to cultivate as allies. That means sending a general out to an enemy territory, with a small Roman army and hiring local mercenaries to bulk it out, conquering a city, and then using the Force Diplomacy mod to give that city to one of your allies.

If you don't want war with another faction, you could concentrate on Eleutheroi targets, although it is usually easy to fight a short war with a distant faction which doesn't share a border with you, and then make peace with them afterwards. Generally, the AI only hates its neighbours, if you're not a neighbour, you're of less interest to them.

For example, you could help out Koinon Hellenon by taking Crete and then giving it to them. Maybe Halikarnassos and Pergamon too, or the two Bosphorus cities in the Crimea, or maybe Kyrene in North Africa. Or you could take Ankyra from the Eleutheroi and give it to the Arveni or Aedui, to create a little 'Galatian' faction which will recruit its own units and maybe fight off Pontus and Seleukia.

Your generals will get useful experience fighting the Eleutheroi that way.

You could even sail to Britain, fight the Casse, and set up the Aedui or Arveni as a rival to the Casse for control of Britain, preventing Casse domination of Britain.

If you don't want to feel like a Roman general is invading Britain or somewhere else too early, make sure his 'Roman' army is composed entirely of local mercenaries, and during battles, keep your Roman general safely in the rear out of the hand to hand fighting, and pretend he is just an 'advisor' to the locals.

Simply disband the mercenary units when you don't need them anymore, ideally in the city you've just conquered, just before you give it away to another faction.

It can be fun influencing the progress of other factions this way, like fighting a war by proxy, a bit like an 'ancient Cold War'.

Really like these ideas!
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Don't have force diplomacy mod. I've been meaning to get it but I'm not sure how (or even if) it will work with EB on a Steam version of RTW.....but that's another topic all together.

My non-governing generals (NGGs) wasting their lives away in Roma started to become....unsavory characters. A couple of them picked up the disloyal and drunkard traits, so I did what any Roman would do. I sent them out to sea on a "recruiting" mission around the Med, where they came to an unfortunate and inglorious end in a battle with pirates. The other NGGs were dispersed throughout the territory to build watchtowers or become Tribunes in an existing consular army.

On a side note, there's a good possibility that I'll be quitting this campaign and starting anew. I haven't played in a while (until a few days ago) and thought I needed a M/M difficulty level. The Kart-Hadast were pushovers in Sicilia....so has anyone else I've fought. Tried RomeSage...didn't work. The app crashed everytime I loaded a savegame or tried to make a change.

Anyway, thanks for the advice!