Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you started to worry about your parents?

Default Have you started to worry about your parents?

I'm starting to notice that I need to take care of my parents. I live near my parents so I continue to know their personal lives. My mom has been forgetful ever since I was a teenager, but now it's my dad too. And he has been making bad decisions lately. We realized that he was had by another con man for the second time. What's scary is that now they don't seem to care much. I tried to talk to my mother about my dad, but she just said that it was a pity and just moved on. The first time that my dad experienced a con man, he stayed on bed for the whole day and didn't work. Now he just pretends that the recent incident never happened. Another change that I noticed about them is that they've become very argumentive. Now they're at a point in which they don't talk to each other much. It's scary to watch them change this way.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 10-25-2013 at 22:04.
    Wooooo!!!

Default Re: Have you started to worry about your parents?

Well now I am.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

parents, cant live with them, wouldnt be living without them...

We do not sow.

There comes a point when we get older that we have to stop letting our parents control our lives. We need to start trusting our own judgement for us and our parents. It sounds harsh, but kids and teenagers will understand when they get older.
    Wooooo!!!

You should be more respectful of wisdom and experience that one can only acquire with age.

Also having so many con men around you is a bad idea, or is that an American thing?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    You should be more respectful of wisdom and experience that one can only acquire with age.

Also having so many con men around you is a bad idea, or is that an American thing?
    Certainly, they could have acquired wisdom and experience. However, aging processes do take their toll on the mind.

I don't believe I've come across a con in person but there was one time when I was desperate and fell for one over the phone and gave away some bank information. Fortunately, I thought it about a little more afterwards and looked it up. Then I closed the bank account so fortunately, they didn't get any money out of me.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The closest I got to one was when I was on youtube and I got a message about winning an Ipad due to some random draw. I thought I could trust it, since you know, Youtube is owned by google and such. I went through a couple of questions rating the Youtube experience and confirmed some details, then suddenly they started asking if I wanted to subscribe to tons of junkmail, then I realised, I was being tricked and back out of it.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I am always worried about my mother. She is rich and alone. The house is basicly a fortress and art is hard to trade, but idiots will try anyway.

The only positive thing about being older is that you'll eventually die out and give way for younger and smarter generations.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I've been conned by a job ad once, nearly happened another couple of times but I had learned my lessons and looked the companies up online first. It's sad how they are taking advantage of vulnerable people needing work.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

What did they get out of you? Money?

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I've been conned by a job ad once, nearly happened another couple of times but I had learned my lessons and looked the companies up online first. It's sad how they are taking advantage of vulnerable people needing work.
    i got conned in china because of my friends once :P they were supposedly a shanghai tea festival, i already thought it was awkward but my friends wanted to go there and so i went with them since ur all in it together :P we had to pay alot for basically six small cups of tea which together wouldnt have filled 1 big one. when we went back to the hostel we read a paper on the sign board that said: DONT FALL FOR THE SHANGHAI TEA FESTIVAL CON!!!

god we felt so stupid hehe

We do not sow.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntiDamascus View Post
    What did they get out of you? Money?
    I had a friend who was conned out of working for free. They were looking for work and ended up on a work-scheme where you work for some one for your benefit for a while for experience. At the end of it, they attempted to convince them to stay on, promising lucrative job prospects of around £21,000 pa, which is rather good, isn't it? Anyway, some of the permanent staff went off on sick/pregnancy so they were running this persons business. They kept promising once they got contact a or b, they will end up getting paid, it kept getting pushed back and back.. the owner of the company was milking their own company out of money taking up anything which could be used as wages. It was like over half a year later when these permanent staff returned, they ended up completely sidelined from basically running this company to returning to the lowest of the low, working over 40 hours a week in that time.

Luckily they ended up finding a real job elsewhere, but yes.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

The only positive thing about being older is that you'll eventually die out and give way for younger and smarter generations.
    Two things, dude...

1. How old are you?
    2. "...younger and smarter" is debatable. Most young people I see these days don't know jack about the world around them because they are too busy mashing buttons on their smart phone

....and my days of worrying about my parents are over. Both have passed on. But I will say this...on the day my father died, he drove himself to church in the morning, went to the gym to work out in the afternoon, and cooked himself dinner in the evening before settling down to read a book. He died in his room getting ready for bed. He was 94 yrs. old......
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 10-27-2013 at 07:23.
    High Plains Drifter

I noticed that old people are vulnerable to con men, especially on the internet. My dad is looking for easy money after retirement. I'm really concerned. I want to help out my parents and living near them puts me in that position. Unfortunately, my dad is still a dominating figure. He won't follow my advice. And I don't have a long working career yet so I haven't earned enough money to support him. Gone is the sense of security on having a dad who was able to make the right decisions and support his whole family. I don't even have kids of my own nor am I married. My dad had 16 years of marriage and raising us before he started to support my grandparents. I just hope that my dad doesn't make further terrible decisions that I wouldn't be able to fix.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 10-27-2013 at 12:24.
    Wooooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Two things, dude...

1. How old are you?
    2. "...younger and smarter" is debatable. Most young people I see these days don't know jack about the world around them because they are too busy mashing buttons on their smart phone
    1. 27
    2. That's because you're too old to realize their new form of expression, and base your judgement on whether or not they act like you do. Every generation snce the beginning of time has been smarter than the last.

I've been worrying about my mother for years now. For a long time, she has made irrational and poor decisions, and her personality being the way it is things haven't gotten better. After my father died she took comfort in spirituality, and afterlife, etc. I think she is afraid of a lot of things. Sometimes I wish she was easier to talk to.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    One of the positive things about being older is that you don't care at all about what young 'think-they-know-it-alls' think about you...

You look forward to annoy a few more of those smartphonists in the shop next Saturday afternoon by counting coins one by one while the line behind you is growing.
    Last edited by Andres; 10-27-2013 at 14:38.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Members thankful for this post (2):

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

2. That's because you're too old to realize their new form of expression, and base your judgement on whether or not they act like you do. Every generation snce the beginning of time has been smarter than the last.
    Do you have a good source to support such a ridiculous claim? How do you even measure smart?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius Scholarius View Post
    Do you have a good source to support such a ridiculous claim? How do you even measure smart?
    The commie is right, the Flynn-effect.

A few generations ago, we thought it was a splendid idea to gas millions of jews.

Now we don't.

A few generations ago, we thought it was a splendid idea to gas millions of jews.

Now we don't.
    Rwandese genocide, anyone?

And it isn't like the majority of people worldwide supported the gassing of millions of Jews back in the 1940's.

Now we don't.
    No, now we import people who would gladly do it again

Horetore understands that we are the ladder that is to be kicked away.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Do you have a good source to support such a ridiculous claim?
    He doesn't. He equates aging with increasing uselessness and therefore he's just afraid of growing old.

That's because you're too old to realize their new form of expression
    I, at least, still retain communication skills even without my phone, or any other electronic device. My sister, who was a librarian at a major US university, used to conduct weekend seminars for students where they were sequestered for 3 days....without their cell phones. She was absolutely astounded at how helpless these "younger and smarter" kids were when faced with having to actually carry on conversations with each other.
    High Plains Drifter

Rwandese genocide, anyone?

And it isn't like the majority of people worldwide supported the gassing of millions of Jews back in the 1940's.
    Yup, and now the new generation of Rwandans don't think that's a good idea any more.

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    He doesn't. He equates aging with increasing uselessness and therefore he's just afraid of growing old.

I, at least, still retain communication skills even without my phone, or any other electronic device. My sister, who was a librarian at a major US university, used to conduct weekend seminars for students where they were sequestered for 3 days....without their cell phones. She was absolutely astounded at how helpless these "younger and smarter" kids were when faced with having to actually carry on conversations with each other.
    Spending ten minutes in any classroom the class after lunch is more than enough proof that kids these days know how to communicate in person

Yup, and now the new generation of Rwandans don't think that's a good idea any more.
    Couldn't they have learnt from other genocides?

Couldn't they have learnt from other genocides?
    Ha not at all it's just a matter of time before the tall trees get cut again, or the other way around. If I didn't like him I would shout at him.

HoreTore is just parroting a well-known capitalist and he managed to express the sentiment in such a way that it actually sounds offensive.
    The other guy said it much better IMO:

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Every generation snce the beginning of time has been smarter than the last.
    Next you'll be quoting the Gospel of John, right?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Essay:G..._human_history

Hmmm. Some notables on that list that should have just done away with themselves to make room for the "younger and smarter"

da Vinci--Goethe--Dostoyevsky--Euler--Thomas Bay--Haydn..........all of whom did their best work after the age of 50
    High Plains Drifter

Member thankful for this post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast