Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Athens: Summer. Harvest. War (R2TW succession game)

Default Re: Athens: Summer. Harvest. War (R2TW succession game)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    well I guess ive got a head start then. After my pontus campaign wraps up im going on to legendary.... any comments on a good faction to play for legendary? Anything but: Sparta, Parthia or Pontus as ive played all of them thus far
    Seleucids perhaps? I love playing them on legendary, not sure if it would be that interesting on lower levels.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

well I guess ive got a head start then. After my pontus campaign wraps up im going on to legendary.... any comments on a good faction to play for legendary? Anything but: Sparta, Parthia or Pontus as ive played all of them thus far
    Seleucids I second. I'd also recommend you try one of the new horse archer factions from the DLC, they offer a radically different experience.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

I went all horse archer with Parthia so I know how that bit works. Ill probably to royal Scythia on VH or something. I was thinking maybe Egypt for Legendary? Ive never been a fan of Seleucid
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

I dislike Egypt myself, though their starting region is probably the best one in the game (3 resources of which 2 are grain, 2 wonders, 2 ports).

I'd suggest you go with Macedon. They have the best pike phalanx around, as well as very formidable Hoplites, great special ops type of infantry in Royal Peltasts (devastating melee and also javelin attack), really good cavalry, and a good starting position as well.

It is indeed an interesting choice..... Ill have to give it a lot of thought.... My Pontus campaign has shifted drastically to cleanup. Half of the medieval world is mine now. So soon ill need another campaign.
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

It is indeed an interesting choice..... Ill have to give it a lot of thought.... My Pontus campaign has shifted drastically to cleanup. Half of the medieval world is mine now. So soon ill need another campaign.
    You mean antique world, of course.

lol old world, medieval, antique..... whatever makes you happy =)

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I'd suggest you go with Macedon. They have the best pike phalanx around, as well as very formidable Hoplites, great special ops type of infantry in Royal Peltasts (devastating melee and also javelin attack), really good cavalry, and a good starting position as well.
    I find the strength of Macedon's start is that they have only two cities...but both are provincial capitals. One can consolidate two pretty good provinces without having to assault a walled city. It's like a Rome start without Neapolis/Cosentia.

I too am in the later stages of current campaign. I might give Macedon a go, if only because I don't think I have this pike thing down just yet.

I'm currently rocking a Legenedary Sparta game and I consolidated Makedon and then Hellas. Sure I had to break it off with Athens, but with two full provinces I went and pounded Roma into the dust. Rome and Magna Graecia... now there's some juicy provinces! I also had 800 kills on a unit of citizen cav after a glorious corner defence sally.

So glorious =p

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    I find the strength of Macedon's start is that they have only two cities...but both are provincial capitals. One can consolidate two pretty good provinces without having to assault a walled city. It's like a Rome start without Neapolis/Cosentia.

I too am in the later stages of current campaign. I might give Macedon a go, if only because I don't think I have this pike thing down just yet.
    My first campaign was with Macedon, unfortunately, before the latest patches.
    I decided to go first against the barbarian factions of Thrace, so Athens, a CS of Macedon and Sparta a DA, assaulted Epirus and destoyed them, so at the begining i controled Thrace but couldnt unify Macedonia, not at least without break the CS status, ( i did that eventualy but later in the game).

So this is a desision you have to make, in the begining.

They have a powerful roster, especialy later when you have access to foot companion pikes, royal peltasts, shield bearers hoplites, and all the powerful Macedonian cav.

Pikewall with well protected flanks, they just never fail you, even when you are heavily outnumbered, leave the enemy break wave after wave on the pike points and decide when and how you make the real killing with cav.

As a side note, even if they lack the Seleucid cataphracts and silver shield swordsmen (it's very good to have shock infantry), the Macedonians have a horse corral in place of the (rather lame) cow pens. At level 4 that baby provides 20% cavalry speed. Do it x3 and you can have a killer province dedicated to cav recruitment!

Not to get back on topic ;) but when is it my turn to rule Athens!?!?!?! im getting anxious!

easytarget is working on it, but he has a day job so he can't do it quickly

You can see the line of succession in the OP.

I know ive got a while im just excited to make some mark on the empire ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    As a side note, even if they lack the Seleucid cataphracts and silver shield swordsmen (it's very good to have shock infantry), the Macedonians have a horse corral in place of the (rather lame) cow pens. At level 4 that baby provides 20% cavalry speed. Do it x3 and you can have a killer province dedicated to cav recruitment!
    So they do really stack? I was always wondering about that. It seems a little op =X

Everything stacks according to CA.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This text will be hidden

This does not appear to work for me, little help please?

I'll post up what happened once I figure this out and sort through some screenshots.
    Last edited by Myth; 10-30-2013 at 23:27.

My bad. The code on the .org uses "spoil" instead of "spoiler". See your message (i edited it to test and show you).

ah, thx, btw, if i leave a window open for awhile typing, will it time out on me and wipe it all?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I dont think so, but just in case I type everything on Microsoft Word and just copy-paste it here.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Magistracy of Straton: 236 – 216 BC
    Start with Five Settlements
    Troops: Two partial armies and one partial navy
    Diplomatic Status: No wars at the start of his reign
    Politics: The magistates and oligarchs are evenly matched in influence

*Apologies in advance for spelling, it should be mostly correct, but at some point I just gave up on it.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Straton picks up the burden of leadership of Athens with the Macedonian province complete, providing him a base of operations that afforded plentiful trade opportunities. The barbarians are at the gates in every direction however.
    The strategy Straton decided to adopt upon taking power was the following (and like all well laid schemes it lasted till the point of first engagement): 1. Establish trade with anyone willing to do so. Expansion requires armies, armies require money. To this end also Straton issued the edict of 15% tax in the Macedonia province. 2. Form alliances or at least non-aggression pacts with neighbors to avoid being run over while building the army. 3. Establish a base of operations in Africa such that down the road the ability to directly confront Libya and their protector Carthage directly. Africa is a long term campaign objective, and Straton, not being a particularly healthy man, fancied all the wide open spaces and clean air might do him some good.

236 BC – Agents sent to scope out Africa, Rome offers non-aggression + money and I accept, I’ve dealt with Rome before and consider them a devious opponent I don’t want to tangle with at the moment. In hindsight this bit of diplomacy was a mistake, Rome proved militarily weak and incapable of handling their encounter with Carthage. Hindsight as they say is 20/20. At the time, I had a depleted military and the Ardiaei are at my border and hostile. I thought I could bind my time in taking Magna Graceia and tabled Italy for the time being. Besides, with Sparta as an ally I’m forced into confrontations not of my choosing closer to home that require my attention. They insist I join them in a war with Ardiaei and I accept because that’s what military allies do, even if perhaps against our better judgment.
    Recruited champion with funds from Rome to train army commanded by Demodocus, signed non-aggression w/ Tylis to keep that nearby front calm while engaged w/ war Sparta wants to pursue. Upgraded ships under command by Erechteheus. Improve the city at Pella to provide better defense should Ardiaiei attempt to flank.

235 BC - Sparta mobilizes steaming their army towards the Ardiaei who in response immediately offered us peace, we countered with client state and $2,000 to test their resolve, declined. The Odrysian Kingdom offers non-aggression which I accept since I have no current focus on pushing north. The trusted spy Aido dies while working on the Ardiaei front and a replacement is recruited, but her experience and skill will be missed.
    The navy in heading towards Africa and Libya for exploratory purposes encounters the Knossos, they appear at this point to be engaged with no one else but have a robust military presence already developed and stationed on the island, the admiral makes the determination to continue his mission, no further diplomacy at this point with them, but Rhodos was also encountered and trade negotiated.
    Admiral Demodocus reports back from Libya Hellenisic rebels are all that control Cyrene (province of Libya neighboring the African province which is the goal), is this the base of operations Straton had in mind? This good news from the Admiral is followed by bad news; the province of Africa is controlled by Libya, which in and of itself would not have proven a problem, but, there’s always a but, they are the client state of Carthage, a sea power prowling the med and one our navy Demodocus assures we are not ready for yet. We will bide our time and work on taking advantage of what has presented itself in the form of neighboring towns ripe for the plucking.

234 BC - Tragedy strikes twice: Straton has been wounded while at the head of his army near the Ardiaei battle front, our spies are in pursuit of the agent that committed this heinous crime, they must be made to pay with their lives. If this was not bad enough, as our armies massed for the blow that would take Ardiaei out, the Spartan forces inexplicably sail off to points unknown, at which point two more entire armies come out of the woods in support of the forces our men have come to engage w/o their commander they make the decision to retreat and live to fight this fight another day when the fates are not so clearly against us.

Looking back, it’s difficult not to see the hand writing on the wall for our beloved Straton, while his wound would not prove fatal, that he would come to his final resting place a mere 16 years hence, it’s this date that must live as the mark of the beginning of the end for his reign, his health it would appear never fully recovered. Small satisfaction then that my trusty spies have done their work and ended the life of the agent who inflicted my wounds.

233BC – Hard conversations are had with Sparta over their desertion from a war they asked us to join. Straton upon recovery demands they attack the Ardiaei to recover some scrap of honor and justify our alliance. They do nothing. The Spartans are clearly a shadow of their former selves.
    Being a leader of a people means making hard choices, and the fact is, this is not my battle, at least not right now, I offer peace to the Ardiaei and they accept. My dream is of glory in Africa. And with all my cities in Macedon improved, I feel confident the defenses can hold as my commanders sail w/o me, for alas I will never see it, my recovery from my wounds has come at a price, I now am forced from the field and into politics as a statesman from here on.
    232 BC – In anticipation of the wars to come, and based on income from increased trade, the army is enhanced with more hoplites and bows. The great strategic question before us is this: Demodocus reports Africa is undefended, the armies and navies of both Libya and Carthage are at sea. Would Carthage drop Libya or come to her defense? While I pondered this the Romans engaged with an offer of a defensive alliance, I accept thinking at the time this might prove the perfect distraction to Carthage.

231 BC – Well, as a Statesman I’ve started out on the wrong foot and made the wrong bet, I went with Rome and in just one year Carthage nearly destroys them, the remnants of Rome cling to life on a small island and Carthage now controls Italy.
    My spies have been working overtime sowing insurrection in Cosentia (controlled by the Etruscan League) and begin building a 3rd army under General Alkmonion (sp?) in Apollonia in anticipation of attacking this Libyan held province and slowing the Carthaginian expansion on the Italian peninsula.

230 BC – General Amphion and Admiral Erechtheus take Cyrene. The first step on the new continent is taken!

229 BC - Trade and a military alliance with Knossos (matching the military alliance Sparta also has with them) who has a fairly robust army patrolling off our Greek coasts. And I have signed a non-aggression pact with the Nasamontes, their presence near Egypt is militarily superior to our own at this time and I cannot afford to take them on just yet.
    Purchased military access from Egypt in order to pursue expansion of a base of operations through the taking of Hellenisitic rebel controlled Ammonium.
    228 BC – Our army in Africa encounters Cryenencion rebels on the way to Ammonium and defeat them
    226 BC – Our army lays siege to Ammonium and our agents continue to sow unrest in Cosentia in anticipation of Alkmonion taking his forces there to liberate the town.

225 BC – Hypsipyle has come to the end of her days and laid her burden down, such a seasoned diplomat will be sorely missed, improvements in our towns continues and finances are looking up, what I lack in diplomacy I’m working to make up for economically. It should be noted on a similar vein that I have committed most all of my research on economic matters; as a result, I expect my successor to find good reserve funds available for him pursue the glory of Greece.

224 BC – Sparta has the audacity to request our support in a war with Ardiaei again, having been down this road once and been burned, I’m leery of trusting Sparta. But they are “our people”, so I agree against my better judgment, the last thing I wanted was a two front war, so this alliance with Sparta has so far proven nothing but a headache, that said, I also leaving an enemy on our border unattended to lest this turn into a fiasco on two fronts at once, which I fear it most assuredly will. With that I set the orders with Sparta to attack Ardiaei and I command out forces once again to the front.
    The siege of Ammonium is victorious, but comes at a bitter price; we lose General Amphinion in battle. Unforeseen reinforcements came in from the desert (not even by road) from a direction the general never anticipated. A close victory, but a victory nonetheless, and as a result we now have a foot hold on this continent from which to base our attack of Africa.

223 BC – The battle w/ the Ardiaei begins tragically as another general dies, this time Herakleitos. But he did not die for nothing, Epidamnos is ours!

This victory has caused Straton to strategically pause and weigh his options. While this was a war not of his making (and once again not joined by Sparta who started it), it does appear from the news from the front we have the advantage here, and could well press our luck in taking additional cities and even perhaps complete the Illyria province North of us, hopefully taking the Daorsi out for good, and securing a buffer to our homeland and additional income to boot.
    On the Libyan front I’ve two of the four settlements that would complete a province, admittedly this is not Africa, but it is the basis for staging an attack. One of these settlements is held by Egypt though, and they have been actively seeking alliances, the politics of this adventure are becoming increasingly complicated.

222 BC – Admiral Erechtheus after long years of service goes to meet Poseidon, he served us well. The Nasmones (sp?) attack Paraitonion controlled by Egypt, I stand by watching in the hopes they will succeed. This would un-complicate matters in terms of taking the province.
    Agents of the Ardieai are active still and having nearly killed me once, I pull my agents home to deal with them.
    And the decision weighed as to the opportunistic war with the Dorsai has led me to push forward, I feel I must strike while the iron his hot here. The war for the Illyria province is on.

The siege of Delminium ends in victory, the General Almonium mints his newly created army with their opening victory with support by the Brothers of Xenophan!
    To keep the initiative the Brothers push on w/o rest to the outskirts of Iader anticipating being joined shortly by General Almonium to press home the completion of the destruction of the Dorsai and the control of the province Illiaryia.

221 BC – Before reinforcements can arrive the Brothers are ordered to attack regardless and they cover themselves in glory taking the city which the cowardly Dorsai have all but abandoned. Interestingly, scouting parties revealed the Breuci army had been on the outskirts of the city as well, but for the speed with which the Brothers attacked the Brueci would have surely taken the settlement and complicated our drive to complete control of the province.
    What had begun as a duty to abide by a troublesome alliance with Sparta ends in Athenian glory and the riches a new complete province can provide. Our revenues continue to expand.

220 BC – The remaining agents of the Dorsai are dispatched to their maker and will trouble us no more. I’m unsure what my predecessor will make of our continued alliance with Sparta, but for my part, inertia is really all that holds us together as far as I’m concerned. This is the 2nd war they’ve requested us to join with the Dorsai only to find them fail to commit troops. I could only surmise they would have done this yet again if not for the fact we’ve utterly destroyed them.

218 BC – Nasmones failed to defeat the Egyptians, which is a shame. I’m left settlements and doubt as to how to proceed. The front on the homeland has cleared up, so perhaps the time has come to bring the remaining armies to bear on this problem. Egypt will prove a tough nut to crack should I decide to complete this province in my continuing dream of Africa, they are allied with Sparta and the Pergamon, the latter are aggressively moving navies and armies south of Greece in and around Sparta. They do not appear to be a faction to be taken lightly. General Aegon heads to Cyrene as the staging for either expansion of operations or the war for Africa.

217 BC – Knossos navy aggressively pursues remnants of Dorsai army and navy destroying them all, they’ve proven a more useful ally than Sparta by a large margin by this action alone. To Spartas credit they did bring units to the defense of Pella when a rag tag ban of Dorsai threatened there. Meager, but better than what they’d done previously. The army there ultimately engaged the raiders and destroyed them.

216 BC – Our agent Althaia stays in Greece to keep an eye over the homeland along with the army of Alkmeion in Delminium. The rest of our army and remaining agents head for Cyrene to stage our African conquest.
    The old wound has come back to haunt us, our illustrious leader Straton has been struck down before his time and dies before he could realize his dreams of an African victory.
    He will be remembered as a cautious and opportunistic leader who struck where weakness presented itself in his expansion of the Athenian Empire. His diligent work in opening trade routes along with research focused on economic matters has placed the empire on a strong footing for future expansion. Nearly 5,000 per year is coming in and almost 20,000 in the coffers, with three fully developed and trained armies, his unrealized dreams of a new continent will pass to his successor, may he far exceed our endeavors and expand the power and glory of Athens.

Conclusion: I had a great time with this, I doubt I've done a particularly great job writing it up, but I tried to stay in the spirit of the thing. I was quite sad when Straton died so young, it seemed like we were just getting into a roll for his grand designs if expansion, but alas it was not to be.

Members thankful for this post (5):

Here btw are all the screenshots I took in full size, many are fairly unremarkable, but since the link is available, why not post it.

http://3asytarg3t.imgur.com/all/

And now I also need to figure out how to upload the saved turn...

figured it out: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...79#linkid10497
    Last edited by easytarget; 10-31-2013 at 00:46.

Great job!

Just going to mention @Sp4 here so he knows his time is here. Also I think you forgot to upload the savegame file so Sp4 can continue it. Try Mediafire. Seems to be a favorite in the TW community.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 10-31-2013 at 00:43.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Got it. I might wait for your AAR before checking out what's what and then I'll be forced to AAR myself =p

I think he already posted his AAR?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Oops, yeah didn't see it. Stupid spoilers =p

Nice job and writeup! Pretty cool how the rebel regions opened a foothold in Libya. And the Ardiaei thing worked out nicely...looks like once they cracked, Straton could run the table. Illyria is a pretty decent province.

As far as Sparta, yeah, those guys suck. Didn't make its way into the summary of Demochares' administration, but Sparta pulled those same kind of "not show up" stunts. It doesn't matter what Demochares thinks any more, the guy's dead. But I think he would say that the Sparta alliance has outlived its usefulness.

Thanks man, tried to tell what happened in as much detail as I could, I was a bit shocked when the guy died on me, I felt like it was right at the point where things could take off in Africa, but who knows, challenges arise unseen from everywhere, that's the fun part about it.

I did end up being mostly opportunistic in my choices of settlements to tackle, when I went to Libya to start a base of operations for the Africa campaign I ran across Hellenistic rebels, so they were just begging to be taken since once taken they are instantly pretty happy with the situation. And the Illyria just fell into my lap thanks to the no good Spartans leading me into, guess I have them to thank for that, but sure is funny how they bug out when the real fighting starts. The glory days of Sparta are clearly past.

I look forward to seeing how the story continues to unfold.

Good to see this coming along so well. Unfortunately my gaming rig is barely managing it on the lowest settings with small unit sizes, so it wouldn't be any fun to see terrible screenshots of tiny armies. Maybe I'll be along for the next one. In the meantime I'm enjoying the updates!
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast