Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Athens: Summer. Harvest. War (R2TW succession game)

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Athens: Summer. Harvest. War (R2TW succession game)

Great job easytarget! I'm pleased with how this succssion game is going!

I also found out that I am a much more aggressive leader than what seems to be the normal playstyle. I fear no Rome or Carthage or Egypt. In fact, my first job is usually eating up one of those three to get their rich lands. The Adriaei and Pergamon are actually scarier (and Rhodos if it expands) since they spam a lot of armies and tend to keep them packed together.

Carthage has been doing much better after patch 5. Twice now I've seen it wipe the floor with incompetent Rome. I myself would probably dissolve the alliance with Sparta and Knossos, wait for a turn or three and end them in short succession. Outfit my armies, get at least 4 stacks and send 2 to capture Magna Graecia and 2 more to complete Lybia and go for Carthage's throat in Africa.

I would also use a lot more pikes and peltasts (since peltasts are better than other jav skirmishers early on, except for Sparta's Perioikoi Peltasts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ituralde View Post
    Good to see this coming along so well. Unfortunately my gaming rig is barely managing it on the lowest settings with small unit sizes, so it wouldn't be any fun to see terrible screenshots of tiny armies. Maybe I'll be along for the next one. In the meantime I'm enjoying the updates!
    Nonsense, I think nobody here is so shallow as to complain about screenshot quality. I mean, we've been playing Rome 1 for a decade now, and the feet of the troops there look like stalactites. So go ahead and don't worry about it. Actually reading the AAR is the best part IMO, the screenshots are just a visual aid.
    Last edited by Myth; 10-31-2013 at 10:24.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Nonsense, I think nobody here is so shallow as to complain about screenshot quality. I mean, we've been playing Rome 1 for a decade now, and the feet of the troops there look like stalactites. So go ahead and don't worry about it. Actually reading the AAR is the best part IMO, the screenshots are just a visual aid.
    Agreed! Jump on in, @Ituralde!

I also found out that I am a much more aggressive leader than what seems to be the normal playstyle.
    This is an interesting comment to me. First, because it's true, at least in my case. But second, because I think there's some peculiar idiosyncracies which come into play for a succession game.

I am indeed a fairly cautious player, especially early on. I think a glance through the first few Pontus AAR chapters will show that. That said, there were a couple of factors at work here that, for me, would not have been in play in any other campaign.

First, it's public. If I goon it up, I don't just say "oh well" and start over...I have to write and post about it, and then turn over a potential bag of worms (if there's anything left) to my successor. This is NOT a complaint at all, in fact I think it's part of what makes this succession structure fun. Adds a little bit of pressure, knowing there will be a "public report" to the Council or Senate or whatever.

Second, a curious dynamic is how the FL's uncertain reign length plays into planning and decisionmaking. Demochares wanted to leave a larger, stable nation for his successor, without an ongoing war. That way Straton would have the most options available at the start of his own reign. So, when Demochares hit 60 yrs old, he wound things up and wouldn't start any more wars during his remaining years.

Maybe with many others, one or both of these factors wouldn't come into play at all. But they certainly did for me.

A third factor for me was playing VH with Battle Realism...but that's not a succession-specific factor.

Looks like I have been shanghaied into joining. My main concern comes from the unit size setting. Do any of you know how this affects save game compatability. It probably shouldn't have any effect, but just asking now to make sure.

Also I'll be moving some time late this year, early next year. Depending on when I'm up, this could complicate things, but I guess we'll see how that goes when we get there.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Thats a good point, did anyone mention what unit size were playing on?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Biggest. If someone else loads up the save, they will have to play on that too.

Im a very aggressive player... While looking at the campaign map posted up I thought already about attacking Bithynia to the east
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

I wouldn't go there yet myself. Asia Minor is a rattled up beehive of aggressive minor states. And the provinces are not that great (not bad either). I'd much rather cripple Rome, Carthage, Lybia and Egypt to get the best 4 settlement provinces in the game than set foot in Asia Minor and have to fight 1.5 stacks for each settlement conquered.

idk I always seem to do a clockwise rotation of taking the map.
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Maybe Asia Minor is not geat but this have two nice wonders. Specific the Colossus of Rhodes is great for a naval focus faction like Athens.

Myself want to capture Rhodes

Ya know.. in all 3 of my campaigns ive never even touched rhodes

I touch them most of the time out of necessity because they are very aggressive and prone to capturing freshly rebelled or otherwise "safe" to grab coastal provinces within their reach... and a lot of things are (greece, asia minor, the holy lands, cyprus, crete, egypt...)

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Biggest. If someone else loads up the save, they will have to play on that too.
    I'm out then. Large battles get laggy even on small unit size for me, so they would be close to unplayable on Biggest.
    No worries though, I'll still follow with interest!
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

I wouldn't go there yet myself. Asia Minor is a rattled up beehive of aggressive minor states. And the provinces are not that great (not bad either). I'd much rather cripple Rome, Carthage, Lybia and Egypt to get the best 4 settlement provinces in the game than set foot in Asia Minor and have to fight 1.5 stacks for each settlement conquered.
    I've tended towards the same approach, just my guy kicking off so early prevented me from moving forward with the plan (but I am pushing forward with it myself, I'm continuing to play the campaign myself).

Both times I've played Rome I've cleared out Italy and then headed south to deal with Africa, Libya and Carthage as the set of provinces that allow me to expand the base, then I head clockwise and only jump into the mess of barbarians north of my starting position once I've got the provinces I currently control developed and a decent military ready to tackle the next phase.

The more conservative start I tend to follow with Rome 2 for me at least is due to the fact I don't have a clock staring at me like I did with Shogun 2. As a result I tend to be a bit more conservative at the early stages of the campaign, but later in the mid section once I've got a serious military and naval presence going, the pace picks up and I become more aggressive, just because I can.
    Last edited by easytarget; 10-31-2013 at 23:20.

If you want, you can skip me. Something came up and I am not at home between tomorrow night and Wednesday.

If this is going to be a long running thing we should prolly sticky it

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    If you want, you can skip me. Something came up and I am not at home between tomorrow night and Wednesday.
    If it's fine by everybody else I can just swap my turn with Sp4 - I should be done by Wednesday. The downside of this, though, is that he might not have much of an empire to rule by then....

Go ahead then.

A question for you guys: is there a penalty for not converting buildings of a foreign culture to your own? I've got a tier 3 government building in a captured region which I don't have the tech level to convert, and I'm not sure if I should be tearing it down.

If that tier 3 is in a capital province, tear it down ASAP. If it's a minor settlement... tear it down and rebuild it to level 2. The penalty is a PO hit which won't go away.

All hail Ishmael who will now lead the Athens to further glory.

If that tier 3 is in a capital province, tear it down ASAP. If it's a minor settlement... tear it down and rebuild it to level 2. The penalty is a PO hit which won't go away.
    Why tear it down asap? Does it actually spread another faction's influence?

I was wondering same. I always immediately tear down any structure with an explicitly stated "Spreads +X [faction] influence" attribute. Otherwise, sometimes I'll let a structure stand for a while if it's contributing something worthwhile and I'm short of money.

I've been thinking that the main penalty of a non-faction building (other than the few which spread faction-specific culture) was that it cannot be upgraded.

If there's an unstated or global penalty for non-faction buildings other than that, I haven't been aware of it (where documented?). I'd need to rethink some of my new-province assimilation practices.

I would have thought it would say that, if it's any culture other than your own. It says owning faction's.. so if you own it.. yours? Right?

Any news from the front lines?

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Any news from the front lines?
    So far so good (*knock on wood*). Very Hard difficulty isn't quite the nightmare that I'd envisaged - I'd heard reports in Rome 1 that cavalry could often smash pike phalanxes from the front on that difficulty, but it seems in Rome 2 that superior troop quality, if managed passably well, usually wins the day. I estimate I'm about two thirds of the way through my reign, so expect an AAR today or tomorrow.

Cool, look forward to seeing what twist and turns developed!!!

I continued on from where I left off and pressed through in completing the take over of Africa and the beginnings of the expansion into the Italian peninsula.

Always fascinating to see the ebb and flow of faction power, sometimes to your advantage, sometimes not. In my case, Carthage after expanding aggressively has now started to come a bit undone.

As for difficulty, I still maintain adamantly that Rome 2 is not nearly as challenging as Shogun 2. There are clans in Shogun 2 that you can play on H and VH that if you make just one wrong decision early on your dead. Or long term if you allow the wrong clan to gain too much control you have a fight on your hands to finish the victory conditions before time runs out. Here in Rome 2, any time I feel pressed, I just sit back and consolidate, no one attacks me. In Shogun 2 I'm lucky on H and VH if I can go 4 turns w/o multiple clans attacking me from multiple directions at once or successively before you can recover. In Rome 2 I can count on one finger in 150 hours the number of times I've been declared on, it finally just happened in the current campaign I'm continuing on with while waiting for your AAR.
    Last edited by easytarget; 11-03-2013 at 00:33.

Im doing my legendary campaign right now and im a freakin punching bag for the world. Ive been declared on at least 6 times lost 4 provinces and only gained 1 back after that.... fun fun lol im loving it and hating my life at the same time

That's actually encouraging to hear. So, which faction are you playing?

The Reign of Aegon Targaryen (215BC - 176BC)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

When Aegon became ruler of Athens at age 31, most expected him to be a cautious, bookish ruler, focused on knowledge and the economy. In the first of these they were correct, as he sponsored the establishment of a number of libraries and academies across Athenian territory. But the rest of his funds went towards only one thing – building an army that would restore Athens to the glory of the days of Alexander.

Athenian Empire, 215BC.

Aegon in his early years.

Aegon took command of the Athenian army stationed in Libya, renaming it the 'Eighth Army' *. He was soon reinforced by Alkmaion's army that had been stationed in Illyria, in preparation for the coming campaigns in North Africa. With Alkmaion guarding his flank, Aegon struck at the unguarded Nasamones town of Augila in a surprise attack. The Nasamones armies, desperately trying to hold their newly acquired city of Lepcis against Libya and their protector Carthage, were in no position to fight back, and a peace treaty was signed the next year. Such strikes against weakened and distracted targets were to prove a trademark of the many campaigns Aegon was to conduct over the years.

Athenian forces assembled for an attack. Aegon is visible as the cavalryman with a shield.

After the confidence-boosting victory against the Nasamones, Athenian forces were moved eastwards to prepare for the invasion of a more challenging foe – Ptolemaic Egypt. Athenian spies had reported that the majority of the Egyptian army was stationed on their eastern frontier, fighting against the dominant Seleucid Empire. Aegon seized the opportunity, offering to join the Seleucids in their war in exchange for a defensive alliance and military access. This gave Athens a justification for invading the formerly friendly Egypt, as well as ensuring its soon to be captured territories would be secure against Seleucid expansion afterwards.

Athenian troops push into Egypt.

Egpyt collapsed like a house of cards. Seleucid armies hammered their Egyptian counterparts as they rushed to defend their homeland, leaving Athens nothing to do but mop up the occasional remnant and capture the defenceless Egyptian cities. Indeed, the greatest threat to Athens' conquests were the Seleucids' own satrapies, who raced Athens down the length of the Nile in order to try and capture the Egyptian cities for themselves. Fortunately, Athens was able to stay one step ahead, and secured the entirety of the province of Aegyptus.

A sour note did enter the campaign shortly after the capture of Alexandria, however, when assassins targeted Aegon himself, although fortunately only wounding him. Aegon was even more furious to learn that, unlike his predecessor who was also wounded by assassins, these had been sent by political rivals from within his own faction! In retribution Aegon sent a group of thugs to beat the leader of the Oligarchs in Athens to near-death. Aegon thought the Oligarchs cowed after this, but history would show they were simply taking a longer view of events....

Aegon reacted poorly to the attempt on his life.

Even before the beginning of the Egyptian campaign, plans were being drawn up to deal with the Spartan problem. Whilst Sparta professed itself to be an ally of Athens, Aegon's predecessors had been betrayed on several occasions by Spartan troops abandoning those of Athens on the eve of a battle. It was clear they were trying to undermine Athenian success from within, and that they must therefore be destroyed. Athenian diplomats requested that Knossos break off diplomatic relations with Sparta, but when they refused Athens in turn rescinded all it's treaties with Knossos. Nothing would stop their vengeance, and the final unification of Greece.

'The Spears of Ares,' a newly recruited army centred around pike formations, was marched south to the Spartan border, joining 'The Heros of Xenophon' who were already there. As with Egypt, Aegon was unwilling to invade such a long-standing friendly state without a convincing casus belli, but this came when Sparta signed a defensive alliance with Egypt. Denouncing them as traitors to the people of Greece, Aegon ordered an invasion of Sparta. Athenian forces assaulted the city, whittling down the defenders with missile fire before moving in with hoplites and pikes to finish the job. The newly launched Athenian navy, 'Brizo's Wards,' sank 10 Spartan transports near Pella, thus eliminating Spartan forces. Mainland Greece was once again united.

Spartan Royal Guard cowering before the Athenian missile fire.

Knossos declared war on Athens in support of their Spartan allies, in a brave but foolish gesture. Even more foolish was their decision to send most of their fleets and armies south, in an apparent bid to threaten Athens' African holdings. 'Brizo's Wards' were able to take Crete in a naval assault against its diminished defences, and this severing of supply lines rendered remaining Knossian forces largely toothless – an annoyance, perhaps, but certainly not a threat.

The Athenian fleet preparing to assault Crete.

Whilst the war against Knossos was being conducted, Pergamon declared that it had allied with Egypt, and was therefore declaring war on Athens. Aegon was surprised at this news, given that the last Egyptian settlement was currently under siege by Athenian forces, and that all of Pergamon's fleets had been sunk as a result of its conflict with Rhodes. Still, Aegon was more than happy to seize the opportunity to expand into Asia Minor. 'The Heros of Xenophon,' escorted by the Athenian navy, were dispatched to conquer Pergamon's only city of Ephesus, with they did with little difficulty.

Much of western Asia Minor was controlled at this time by Bythinia. Athenian spies reported that their forces were weak as a result of conflict with the barbarian tribes to their north-western border, and so a newly-recruited Athenian army was dispatched to this border in order to catch them in a vice. Bythinia aided their destruction by allying with Egypt and declaring war on Athens (Egypt, it should be noted, consisted of a small fleet in the Mediterranean by this point). The invasion was largely unchallenged until the Bythinian last stand at Pessinus. Whilst their numerical superiority enabled them to nullify the Athenian skirmisher component, the heavily armoured and well disciplined Athenian phalanxes were able to cut through the vastly inferior Bythinian melee troops. Athens had now reclaimed the Greek cities of Asia, and so Aegon turned his attention back to the west.

Bythinian forces made a desperate last stand at Pessinus.

While the invasion of Bythinia was underway, Athenian troops, consisting of Aegon's Eighth Army, Alkmaion's army, and the greatly expanded fleet 'The Heralds of Glaucus,' had been stationed in the west of the province of Libya. They swept through the single regions held by the Nasamones and Garamantia, who had been weakened by their war with Libya, and without pause conquered Libya in turn. Carthage, reduced to a shadow of its former self by the Turdetani invading from Spain, had rescinded its protection over Libya, but this was not enough to save them. Athenian forces captured their last cities of Thapsus and Syracusae against minimal resistance; Carthago itself had been conquered by the Turdetani the year before.

Athenian forces in the west began preparations to conquer Italy, whilst those in the east were resting after the successful conquest of Bythinia. Aegon was viewed as a conquering hero – but his neglect of affairs at home was about to cause matters to come to a head.

Uh oh....

Civil war erupted, with a full nine armies and six navies being raised by the Oligarchs in Athens. At first, Aegon was in shock. “How could this happen!” he railed at his advisors. “How could these traitors possibly raise such forces without our knowledge?” Not only did the rebels outnumber his land forces by almost 2:1 and his navies by 3:1, but they had seized Athens itself!

But Aegon was not a man to let events overtake him. After shaking off his initial despair, he ordered an interim capital to be established at Pella. He was determined to contain the rebel forces along a line from Pella to Appolonia, ceding southern Greece but also maintaining the main agricultural areas of the empire. The rebel forces were to be ground down in a war of attrition, with Athenian forces striking at targets of opportunity from their fortified settlements whilst rebel troops deserted or died from hunger. Pella was to be fortified with higher walls and additional siege equipment, whilst Appolonia was to be assisted by the two fleets of the Athenian navy.

Aegon at the outbreak of civil war.

Aegon's plans came undone almost immediately. Rebel forces quickly seized Sparta and Larissa, as expected, but also moved unexpectedly quickly against Cronos' army 'The Brothers of Xenophon,' which was defending the river crossing leading to Pella. 2500 Athenian troops faced 9500 rebel soldiers, but Cronos had his orders - make them pay for every foot of ground they take.

Before the battle, Cronos split his force in two. The smaller force would defend a small bridge to his left flank, whilst the larger would defend against the expected main body of the enemy assault at a ford. The battle opened with a large force of skirmishers attacking the Athenian positions at the ford. Cronos sent his light cavalry to disperse them, and they succeeded in routing almost all of them. Unfortunately, before they could return to behind friendly lines they were caught by three rebel generals, and their bodyguards of lancers. Two units of Athenian hoplites were sent to try and kill these enemy commanders, but were only able to eliminate one before being forced to retreat by the enemy infantry body. Meanwhile, the force by the bridge defeated a small group of pikemen sent by the rebels in a flanking attempt.

The main clash of troops in the ford was vicious. The water soon ran red with blood. Athenian arrows rained from the sky, and Athenian hoplites held to their phalanxes, but sheer weight of numbers meant they were pushed back, step by step. Eventually, it became clear to Cronos that the battle was lost. He ordered his skirmishers and the force holding the bridge to withdraw back to Pella. The remaining hoplites at the ford held valiantly, and when they broke Cronos himself charged the enemy at the head of his bodyguard, buying time for the retreat. His body was later to be recovered at the foot of a mountain of corpses. He died well.

Athenian hoplites fight to hold back the tide.

Cronos' force may have been defeated, but they had done their duty – rebel forces were badly bloodied, and were unable to continue their advance on Pella. Indeed, three of the four rebel armies in the battle redeployed to the south-west, in preparation for an assault on Appolonia. This presented a perfect opportunity for Prochoros, leading 'The Spears of Ares,' to counter-attack the one weakened army remaining. The rebels fled, but were caught by Prochoros on a plain just outside Larissa, and battle was joined.

The rebel army was reinforced by levies from the city of Larissa, bringing their total strength to 2000 men – not enough to match the 2500 soldiers in 'The Spears of Ares.' The Athenian skirmishers forced the rebels forward onto the Athenian pikes, and Prochoros, demonstrating his love of cavalry on the battlefield, had his citizen cavalry wheel around and envelop the rebel army, catching their skirmishers by surprise and running 'hammer and anvil' strikes against their engaged infantry. The battle ended quickly, with relatively small Athenian losses and the rebel forces fleeing towards Larissa. Prochoros quickly followed up by capturing Larissa, then razing it as punishment for supporting the rebels and returning north.

Aftermath of the First Battle of Larissa.

'The Spears of Ares' marched north quickly, eager to return to the safety of Pella. Unfortunately they proved a little too hasty, and the outriders had barely brought word that a large rebel army was over the next hill before they were attacked. The Athenian pike line was able to assemble, but the hoplites supporting the left flank were still disorganised when they were charged by enemy cavalry, followed by their supporting pikemen. Worse still, the rebel commander proved far better than the previous in countering Prochoros' cavalry envelopments through skillful manoeuvring of his hoplites, leaving the battle to be decided by the Athenian infantry.

They won, barely. The hoplites on the Athenian left flank collapsed, and the pikes on that side of the battlefield were involved in a brutal, close-quarters melee for which they were unsuited. Prochoros had to personally involve himself in the melee, running repeated charges against the backs of the rebel troops, until the death of the rebel commander finally shattered the resolve of his army. Prochoros' cavalry finally proved useful in the pursuit of the routing troops, killing or capturing enough that the rebel army had to disband. The captives were executed.

Once again 'The Spears of Ares' moved to retreat back north, and once again they were prevented from doing so. A third rebel army, following hot on the heels of the one they had just defeated, were shadowing them and threatening their supply lines **. Prochoros' troops had fought off two rebel armies in quick succession. They were tired and bloodied, with no means of retreat. There was only one thing to do. Prochoros ordered the attack.

The rebel forces were so surprised by the Athenians turning on them that they could not retreat to Larissa before they were caught. The enemy army had been weakened by desertion and starvation, meaning both forces were roughly equal in number. The rebels had the advantage of being able to hold a hill – however, 'The Spears of Ares' made their attack in the rain, thus reducing the enemy skirmisher advantage. Prochoros was able to outmanoeuvre the inexperienced enemy commander, attacking from the shallowest side of the hill and easily pulling off a double envelopment. The rebels were run down and killed, to the last man. 'The Spears of Ares' had now destroyed three rebel armies, and had achieved a legendary reputation amongst the rest of the Athenian army.

Prochoros completely outmaneuvered rebel forces at the Third Battle of Larissa.

Meanwhile, at Appolonia, Aegon was faced with a difficult choice. Roughly double the Athenian numbers of troops and ships had been sighted approaching the settlement, and Aegon knew his forces could not hold against such numbers. Reluctantly, he ordered his forces to move north and abandon Appolonia.

Whilst it was not apparent at the time, this was to be a turning point in the war. Athenian successes at Larissa forced the rebels that were preparing to attack Appolonia to return to southern Greece, thus forfeiting any chance of capturing new farmland to feed their troops. The two Athenian fleets caught and destroyed a single, isolated rebel fleet, showing that Athens could still be victorious at sea. Aegon's forces on the west coast of Greece were able to meet up with a newly-recruited army in Illyria, and prepare themselves for a drive south. And perhaps most importantly, the victories of 'The Spears of Ares' showed that even though the enemy was numerically superior, they could be beaten. The spirit of the Athenian army had been restored.

The rebels were now in serious trouble. Their armies and fleets were all greatly feeling the lack of food, and several had lost half or more of their men to attrition. Athenian armies were able to push south, driving the rebels onto their transports in the Aegean. Sparta was retaken, and the honour of liberating Athens was given to 'The Spears of Ares.' Greece was reunited, and whilst the rebels were not yet defeated (one of their fleets slipped around those of Athens and captured Iader, in Illyria), the imminent victory of Athens was ensured.

'The Spears of Ares' were given the honour of liberating Athens

Aegon had continued to survive in the past few years through sheer strength of will. Now into his seventies, he had been campaigning for most of his life, in Egypt, Libya, Sicily and Greece itself. When he received news of the liberation of Athens he wept tears of joy, and the next morning he did not wake. Aegon had ruled over a turbulent period in the history of Athens, but despite all the challenges he had restored Athens to the title of the greatest nation in the known world. May his successors continue the legacy of Alexander.

Athenian Empire, 176BC.

* Yes, I realise this is horribly out of character. I'm from the Commonwealth; I can name an army fighting in Libya Eighth Army if I want .
    ** This is an 'in-character' explanation for a quirk in the game mechanics, where because an enemy army occupied Larissa and my army was within its zone of control, they couldn't move.

Notes, Comments and Observations:

Well, that was a roller coaster ride. Needless to say, the civil war erupted pretty much immediately after I commented to easytarget that things were going well . I think the civil war is all but beaten - our land armies are about equal in number to those of the rebels but not half-dead from attrition, and their navy doesn't have much of a chance if they don't have any land provinces to supply them. Some other stuff that my successor should probably know:

-Your character, Admiral Lysimachus, is 65. Sorry. I managed to get Cronos killed off (who was the original heir, and a year older than Aegon), but admirals are hard to kill whilst preserving the fleet, especially as I auto-resolve naval battles. I was very fortunate myself to get such a young ruler.

-Once the civil war is over, look to the frontiers. There are consistently about 3 stacks loitering near the Ethiopian border, but at least you have friendly relations and NAPs with most of the factions there. More worrying are the barbarians to the north, who have even more troops but without the friendly relations. I think only their infighting has prevented an invasion so far.

-The economy is...not poor, exactly, but rather hopelessly inefficient. I tend to run an 'economy by conquest,' whereby as long as a province is not actively rebelling I'll ignore it. Thus there are a lot of unconverted buildings of foreign cultures, unupgraded temples and ports, and a fair amount of redundant surplus public order in some provinces. Fortunately a cash infusion came in just before Aegon died as the result of completing a mission, so you've got $20 000 in the bank to deal with that sort of thing.

Anyway, I had great fun doing this, and I'm eagerly awaiting the future installments of this saga. Good luck to all!

Save file

Either @Sp4 or @Kamakazi.
    Last edited by Ishmael; 11-03-2013 at 13:57.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast