Thread: All Hail the New Parthian Empire! - A Total War: Rome II AAR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default All Hail the New Parthian Empire! - A Total War: Rome II AAR

All Hail The New Parthian Empire! – A Total War: Rome II AAR

Chapter I: From Humble Beginnings

Spring, 272 BC

The rising sun found Arsarces sleeping, and the warm touch of its rays woke him. Eyes still closed and head groggy, he sat up on the edge of the bed and put his feet down…on cool stone? His toes had been expecting the yielding patchwork that made up straw floor of his tent, inevitably marred by a smattering of small stones and a thin coat of dust brought in by shoes. As his consciousness sluggishly returned, the memories came rushing in. Nisa. So much has happened in so short a time He was no longer in his dusty tent near lake Alagol, but in the clean and upscale, if not luxurious, governor’s residence of Parthia.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Arsarces threw on a tunic, fastened his belt and made his way to the next room where he found his steward, Arsak, pouring a small cup of strong, aromatic coffee. “Good morning, Autocratos. Will you break fast with your coffee? I can run to the kitchens.” “Just the coffee for now, Arsak,” replied Arsarces as he took a sip and then another, letting his memories come into better focus. A lot had happened in a few short months.

His father, leader of the Parni tribe within the Dahae Confederacy, had passed away in the winter at a young age as an ailment of the brain had progressed quickly taking his body soon after his mind. The disease was hereditary and Arsarces could only pray the gods would not bestow the same fate upon him. That same disease, however, was no small part in situating him here in the governor’s traditional home in Nisa. The Achamaenid kings of old were said to suffer from the same disease, and his father and his forebears had claimed direct lineage from that long list of King of Kings in order to maintain power among the Parni. Thus, Arsarces had been made leader of the Parni at the age of 14. Even at that young age, he looked more like his father’s younger brother than his son. And, despite the physical resemblance, his character was rather different than his father’s. Where his father had been prideful of his claimed heritage but selfish, indolent and content to be a big fish in a small pond, Arsarces knew his lineage may well have been a useful contrivance, and he was also full of ambition.
    Arsarces I of Parthia

Arsarces’ people had been eking out an existence in the province of Chorasmia in an area to the west of Amul, home city of their Dahae allies. To the south, Andragonas had rebelled from his Seleucid masters. Not content to be governor, he had made himself king. While his father couldn’t see it, Arsarces saw the opportunity provided by Andragonas’ rebellion and his older brother, Tiridates, quickly agreed.
    Tiridates

As soon as was proper after grieving for their father, Arsarces and Tiridates called the men – an unruly mix of spearmen on foot and javelin-armed horse archers, along with the brothers’ cataphract bodyguard – to arms through a middle-aged general from the second family of the Parni, Ekurzakir. The host, along with all the women and children, every last Parni marched on Parthia.
    Ekurzakir

Nisa had been lightly defended, as most of Andragonas’ troops had been defeated in Hecatompylos by Parthava, who controlled the rest of the province by the time of Arsarces’ arrival. Tiridates killed Andragonas in the struggle, and the Parni had a new home. Sipping coffee in the late governor’s quarters, Arsarces thought of his claimed lineage. The old Achamaenid Empire had stretched from Pella to the Bosporos, from Egypt to northern Arabia, and east as far as the river Indus. Perhaps someday…
    Last edited by TarheelDan; 10-29-2013 at 03:36.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: All Hail the New Parthian Empire! - A Total War: Rome II AAR

Hooray! Another AAR! Looking forward to this!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Chapter II: Old Friends and New Enemies

Fall, 272 BC

Nisa

The Parni were happy. Arsarces’ tribe so quickly made themselves at home in Nisa it was as if they had always lived there – only months after the last spear loyal to Andragoras was dropped to the ground in surrender. The stone and marble of the town spoke of permanence, and they began to craft new lives and look to the future. Many took to the surrounding countryside and with sweat and the fertile land and good rains, farms soon provided an abundance of food for the people and the armed forces that protected them.

Parthava, for now, seemed content with its lot of governing most of Parthia province including the major towns of Susia and Zadrakarta from its capital in Hecatompylos. To the east lay another Seleucid satrapy, the Aria. Dignitaries from both had not only recognized Arsarces and his court as a sovereign power, but relations seemed amicable enough.

Foreign Powers Call at Nisa

Perhaps the Seleucid Empire had bigger concerns than a Parni upstart in a small town on the south-eastern shore of the Caspian Sea. To the north, Arsarces’ allies the Dahae controlled the southern half of the province of Chorasmia.

Secure for now Arsarces thought to himself, looking over the town from his balcony and picking at a bowl of dates and dried peaches. His thought of peace had only just faded as his steward Arsak stepped out from inside and into the sun. His face was not peaceful.

“Autocratos, the Dahae ask for our help. Bactria has declared war upon them.” “Has Amul been attacked?”

“Not yet, King of Kings. The Dahae had sent an emissary to negotiate a trade agreement with Bactria. The man’s horse returned without a rider, but with an answer. His head, along with samples of the wares the Dahae had to trade, and a letter…saying they would rather not pay for what they would soon take by force. How should I respond?”

“Tell the Dahae I am a man of my word, that I remain grateful and will not soon forget their hospitality. Their enemies are Parthia’s enemies.”

“At once, Autocratos.”

Parthia and Her Neighbors

Bactria was no small foe. The Dahae’s sparsely populated lands were home to only one true city, Amul. By contrast, the provinces of Transoxania and Bactria were home to four, two of them with thick walls built at great expense. But, there is much hope. Bactria’s army is small. Enough to defeat the Dahae on their own, but not – I think – to defeat me. Arsarces’ invading army, The Children of the Parni, had resumed drills as soon as the people had settled into their new home of Nisa and easily numbered twice the men the Dahae had at their disposal.

Still, we should be prepared for the worst. Nisa had a military stables capable of outfitting a host of melee cavalry, and Arsarces would do just that. Yet, not a month had gone by before the situation became more difficult. The Khorasmii, a nomadic peoples who had stopped for now in Kath in northern Chorasmia, had begun a series of raids in Dahae land. The Dahae retaliated, and war soon followed. True to his word, young Arsarces declared war on Kath. Parthia now had enemies in the north, as well as the east.

Over the next year, Parthia kept close contact with Dahae for any movement by Bactria and in the meantime recruited, outfitted, and integrated into the army three units of Median cavalry. Arsarces’ would lead the army himself, giving it a new name for a new age: The Black Quivers. His uncle, Timgiratee, would remain behind to train more spearmen and more horse, continuing the legacy of The Children of the Parni.

Timgiratee

When all was ready, he left his older brother Tiridates to govern in his absence, and made for the Chorasmian border.

Arsarces’ Forces

Last edited by TarheelDan; 10-29-2013 at 03:36.

Member thankful for this post:

Looking forward to this...haven't played a horse-heavy faction yet. And in my Rome/Pontus campaigns, I haven't fought this far east; all these town names and regions are still unfamiliar. Good stuff.

Chapter III: Interlude

Fall, 271 BC
    Tiridates at Court in Nisa

Tiridates was irate. A year had passed since his brother crossed the border into Chorasmia with the ironically named Black Quivers – the army had not a single bowman. During that year, Tiridates had done the best he could to govern but, although older, he lacked the patience Arsarces had always displayed even as a boy. His only success thus far had been in finalizing development of the outlying farms. He was now trying to negotiate trade agreements with Parthia’s neighbors, but finding success elusive.

“Why won’t they trade with us?” he asked Arsak the steward, who had stayed behind at Arsarces’ behest in Tiridates’ charge. “The Aria are our neighbors, they know we mean them no harm and our army is abroad besides, they have a strong distaste for the Bactrians with whom we are at war, and although our tradable goods are few for now while our economy develops, both sides would still benefit.”

“It’s much simpler than all that, young lord” replied Arsak, many years his senior and more knowledgeable in the ways of the world. “We are but a little upstart, a small kingdom that could quickly be swallowed by the sands of time. That is how the Aria see us. We are Insignificant. Perhaps they wait to see if we fail in this Bactrian war? We would then be an easy target.”

“That is a humbling thought. But, my brother will not fail. Do you have any news of him?”

“He makes good progress through Dahae territory, but an army can only move so quickly and keep up the line of supplies. He should reach Transoxania within one year.”

“And the Bactrians? What of their forces?”

“The King of Kings sent Nur-Ayya The Spy to be his eyes in Transoxania. Apparently there is heavy construction in the Bactrian’s provincial capital Maracanda, but both it and Bukhara are defended only by their garrisons. Bactria’s armies are elsewhere. At least, that is what I can glean from what he sent.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, it appears that Nur-Ayya The Spy is something of an amateur artist. This is what he sent. It’s…it’s not to scale.”

“He’s HUGE!”

“Yes, I suspect the man has a bit of an ego. But, he does have some artistic talent. And he is not a bad spy.”

“How about south, in the province of Bactria? Do their troops amass there?”

“I do not have any information. Nur-Ayya is keeping to Transoxania to make sure Arcarses has the latest information upon his approach.”

“Then send another spy! My brother will be in hostile territory with no knowledge of whether or not Bactrian reinforcements are en route!”

“But..my lord…we cannot send another spy. We only have the one, Nur-Ayya The Spy.”

“You mean to tell me that out of all the Parni people and all the people here who submitted to our rule…out of all of them, only one would accept such a position!?”

“No, my lord. I mean we can only have the one spy.”

“WHY!!?”

“I told you, we are Insignificant. Insignificant factions can only have one spy.”

“That is ridiculous! That makes not even the tiniest modicum of sense! HIRE ANOTHER SPY!!”

“My deepest apologies, my lord. This I cannot do.”

Flabbergastered and infuriated, Tiridates took it upon himself to find another spy. But, try as he might, and offer as much gold as he would, he could not. His brother would be blind to goings on beyond Transoxania’s southern borders.

Knowing full well the danger that a Bactrian army could be amassing far to the south of Nur-Ayya The Spy’s operations in Transoxania, Arsarces and The Black Quivers marched at best speed toward their foe. The young Autocratos reached Amul, capital of his Dahae allies, in the fall of that year (270 BC) and after a brief respite and resupply pushed into enemy territory by the next spring. At the same time, back in northern Parthia, his uncle Timgratee had finished assembling a small army of melee cavalry and spearmen as reinforcements. The Children of the Parni marched to join their brothers at war.

Timgratee and his men had no sooner crossed the border into Chorasmia but, preparing to ford the Tejan river, were met with a rider bearing a letter from Arsarces. It read: The town of Bukhara is lightly defended and without walls. March as quickly as possible and take it if it remains so. I have passed it by in favor of assaulting Maracanda. The walled city will provide not only a greater prize, but a secure base for operations. Nur-Ayya The Spy begged of me to include a picture he drew...it is not to scale.

Timgratee and The Children of the Parni forded the river and moved as quickly as they could to follow Arsarces’ orders. Unbeknownst to Timigratee, by the time the rider had met them on the road, Arsarces had reached Maracanda and faced Bactria’s armies...
    Last edited by TarheelDan; 10-29-2013 at 18:16.

Member thankful for this post:

Thumbs up on the spy conversation.

Thanks, Bramborough! :-) Any suggestions for improvement are always welcome, by the way.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Sorry to hear that, I was enjoying this AAR. Have you tried the new beta patch? Supposedly it has helped a lot of people with framerate issues.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 11-15-2013 at 18:39.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Sorry to hear that, I was enjoying this AAR. Have you tried the new beta patch? Supposedly it has helped a lot of people with framer are issues.
    Well, with patch 7, diplo reliability is finally fixed and we get tips about breaking pre-existing truces. So, might need to rethink campaign starts for all factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Sorry to hear that, I was enjoying this AAR. Have you tried the new beta patch? Supposedly it has helped a lot of people with framer are issues.
    I did last night, it helped a little bit but still bogged down to a slideshow in a 40v40 battle zoomed in- it's not the GPU-intensive stuff that's the issue, but the CPU-intensive stuff - shadows, unit detail. I've spent more time trying to get this game to run well in those intensive situations than actually playing it so far.

That's part of why I want to take a break from it, and come back fresh without the frustration in the back of my mind. What I might do is start fresh with "normal" unit size after patch 7 comes out of beta and replay the exact same moves as close as possible and continue the AAR from there.

I hope you come back with your AAR!