Thread: Playing with the Past - Digital Games and the Simulation of History

Default Playing with the Past - Digital Games and the Simulation of History

Hi everyone,

I think this looks fascinating - http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/playing...9781623567286/ and note how the Total War series is mentioned specifically. I'm curious to read a bit.

What do you think, has playing a total war game changed your opinion of history?

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Default Re: Playing with the Past - Digital Games and the Simulation of History

I'd say I've used video games in the classroom before, but I really just used them in a class we call seminar, as incentive to homework completion at a quality level. I've used Steel Panthers, which myself I played tons of back in the early '90s and also used TW: M Viking Expansion as well as TW: Empire. These war games don't draw a lot of interest from female students. They don't really create innovative thoughts for the students. The games editors/authors replace the authors and publishers of books. It's just a different format. Ultimately, it's best to bring them tiny shots of exposure from as many formats as possible, before they get burnt out on a topic.

This format certainly has potential to be exploited more than it has been.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Default Re: Playing with the Past - Digital Games and the Simulation of History

Last edited by Montmorency; 11-06-2013 at 17:45.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: