So we all have a go-to army compositions. Some of us like flexibility so we can fight in any terrain and any type of (land) battle, other times we make armies that are tailored to meet certain challenges, like sieges or ambushes, or even certain enemies. An infantry-heavy army will not do well against a mainly horse archer army.

Personally, I favor an agile force that can adapt quickly to anything with the exception of a horse archer army.

That means for me my force has a lot of infantry that can be flexible on the battlefield. If I have to quickly wheel around to meet a different enemy coming at me from a new direction, I need to do that fast.

So in general, its a cavalry general, two units of heavy cavalry, and depending on where I recruited them, two units of light cavalry or ballistas. More recently its been ballistas since they are quite amazing, much more useful than light cavalry in the long run as I can batter them even before the melee starts. Though I do miss out on more cavalry to chase them down as they rout, so its a give and take I suppose.

I have contemplated how I would deal with army composition with a greek faction, as their pikes are their strong points. But on the other hand, pikes are unflexible and lack the flexibility that normal spearmen have. So I suppose I will have to play around with the roster, see if normal spearmen can hold up to greek pikes.

So what are your army compositions like?