Thread: Religious communism

Thumbs down Religious communism

Oh my.. I'm having fun with modding again. Check religions on the picture below. They are not only even but they sums up to 102% that can only be achieved by the real communists.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000000.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	11260
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Default Re: Religious communism

If someone's curious, it happens when you set province's culture to CHRISTIAN_CULTURE instead of CATHOLIC_CULTURE.

btw We have 4 major cultures to use: PAGAN, CATHOLIC, ORTHODOX, MUSLIM but it always bothered me why there are some "Christian" folders here and there. I've changed a faction's culture to CHRISTIAN and get the error about trying to use unit of a different culture. I looked at UNIT_PROD and saw that my units have 33rd column (culture a unit belongs) blanked which means "all cultures". So, it should work, right? No. In this case "all cultures" means only PAGAN, CATHOLIC, ORTHODOX, MUSLIM. If you change blank to PAGAN, CATHOLIC, ORTHODOX, MUSLIM, CHRISTIAN the error's gone and everything starts to work as intended. What does it mean? Generally, the 5th new set of campmap pieces like agents, ships, armies, units, castles, etc.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Was CHRISTIAN added for VI, or was it always in the game? Nice find!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Was CHRISTIAN added for VI, or was it always in the game? Nice find!
    I have no idea. I've never tried to mod MTW 1.0/1.1. btw It works a little odd. When you set CATHOLIC_CULTURE, 1st "Catholic" folder is checked, then "Christian" and then root folder. So, if you fill Catholic folders with their own versions of everything they use, you have Christian folders free. I think they were going to give different look for some Catholic factions but abandoned the idea in the process. Changing a single line in code was easier then cleaning up folders, I guess .
    Christian was supposed to be the 5th culture. You can check its description in the NAMES.txt.

Code:
    // To be concatonated with the above names.      
    @["of_culture"]
    @{""}
    @{", a Pagan faction."}
    @{", a Catholic faction."}
    @{", an Orthodox faction."}
    @{", a Muslim faction."}
    @{", a Christian faction."}
    The last line was added by me and it appears in game (instead of previous "string not found...").
    Last edited by Stazi; 11-19-2013 at 10:31.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Does it do the same with ORTHODOX? Maybe it was put in so CATHOLIC and ORTHODOX cultures could share some of the same files.

Game mechanics like the papal interference and inquisitors work on REL_CATHOLIC (religion), not culture, correct?

Also, just curious, in that screen-grab, how did you set the religion ratios? I've never been able to find a way to set the starting religion percentages in a province.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Does it do the same with ORTHODOX? Maybe it was put in so CATHOLIC and ORTHODOX cultures could share some of the same files.
    I've just checked it and you're right. Orthodox > Christian > root. Thanks for the idea. But it still can be used if Catholic and Orthodox get all they need.

Game mechanics like the papal interference and inquisitors work on REL_CATHOLIC (religion), not culture, correct?
    I think so. I've never tested it but I'd be very strange if connected with culture.

Also, just curious, in that screen-grab, how did you set the religion ratios? I've never been able to find a way to set the starting religion percentages in a province.
    I set nothing. Just put CHRISTIAN_CULTURE to a province and you'll get all 6 religions at 17% each. Convert works normally, so after a few turns province get back to usual state.

There is another culture that can be used too. GENERIC_CULTURE. It's used by rebels but you can give this culture to a playable faction. That faction works normally, has king, heirs, princesses, etc. but there are some exceptions that limits its usefulness. That faction can't recruit assassins, spies and emissaries. Bishop, Inquisitors, etc. are ok. Jihads and Crusades too. The faction can only build and possess buildings available for all cultures (the same for troops). The next problem is the lack of their own folder name. It shares the root folder with rebels. The faction can only has its own portraits via PortraitsOverride function. So, that faction would be like semi-rebels. I don't have an idea if this can be any useful but still a possibility.

Next thing to test will be the Pope. Can he be a Muslim and ask for Jihad? or Jewish and ask for.. whatever he wants.
    Last edited by Stazi; 11-20-2013 at 01:14.

For the last few days I've been testing usability of 1024x1024 textures for units. The goal is to avoid the hardcoded limit of units' folders and place more units in one texture. It works flawlessly but they are some exceptions.

As we know, grid is always 256x256. When I put an original 512x512 unit texture into a new 1024x1024 (I was aiming for 4 units in one texture) I have to reduce the frames' rectangles by half. It makes a unit appear in game half of its original size. To counter this I tried to use SCALE parameter in unit_prod file. The problem is the max value of it is 225. Default value for cavalry units is 138. It means than even if we use the max 225 value a unit is still about 40% too small. There are two solutions to this:

- the 1st is reducing the scale of all units and buildings in game. It's easy for units but it may cause some problems with 3D buildings. I haven't tested this much but if it wouldn't cause too much trouble, as a side effect it makes battle maps virtually bigger with more room for tactical manoeuvres. With this method we can place 4 high-res (512x512) units in one texture file.
    Hmm.. I'm curious how the scale works with siege engines... tests, more tests needed.
    EDIT
    Rescaling all buildings is not a feasible option cause it needs repositioning of all buildings on all battle maps. A LOT of unnecessary work.

- the 2nd is to increase the size of new units by about 50% (not 40% to still have some room for scale manipulating). It makes units look 2 times more detailed (512x512 to 768x768) but reduces the number of units we can place in one file. Generally, with increased unit size, we can have 2 standard units or 3 mounts (as their animations are a lot simpler).

Concerning the mounts. Some of them has special hardcoded features (e.g. armored horses). I think all new mounts that use the same hardcoded texture/folder will keep those features but it's a little hard to test (the same should work for special elite units that use FacShield folder). If you know any sure method to test it let me know. Any other ideas, shoot.
    Last edited by Stazi; 11-26-2013 at 20:11.

Hey Stazi! What could be a practical way to use 1024x1024 bifs? Maybe a total convertion mod where all units are in HD, otherwise bigger scale renders won't fit the old or completely new battle units like movable siege, elephants etc.

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Yan , I wish Stazi will return & soon .......
    I too have asked this question , but left it be at present .

Experimentation on this , but at a later date .

I think with our 512x512 we can do lots lots more
    To begin with , most shields are twice there size , reductions of 50% to the shields , we win & can add a whole line !
    & why 4 dying bodies ? ..... we can use 2 & we would not notice on the battlefield .

These thoughts have been flying around my head for weeks as I've toiled away on the bifs ........

I'd like our Ancient Archers standing , running & walking with Bow in hand , same for Peltasts & Javs & Singers .

& I must mention on the two bifs I been working on , the figures vary by up to 8 to 10% .....
    So summing up we have lots of potential & more than enough folders I think , for now to continue on .
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 08-04-2016 at 10:45.