Thread: fleets/navies

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default fleets/navies

spam alot of low tier fleets or build a high tier one? what do you guys prefer?

is it better to make a quinquereme for the cost of 12k and upkeep of a boggling 5k, or better to make like 7 pentekonteroi for the same upkeep and just a little more recruitment cost?

the only pro i can think of is time it takes to recruit, while there seem not many other advantages to make it worth it, unless ofcourse 1 fleet of quinqs can beat 7 fleets of pentes.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 11-30-2013 at 19:05.

We do not sow.

Default Re: fleets/navies

Naval warfare isn't really common enough in EB to have given it much thought. I generally look for the cheapest running cost for my transport fleets (penteres usually) but my battle fleets go big. 4s and 5s depending on what I have. They usually only get created to deal with specific threats though.

The bigger the ship, the better it performs in battle against smaller ships.

Think of it in terms of WW2 warships, but taking into account only gun firepower, and assume that torpedoes and mines have not been invented. (And, of course, there are no submarines, and no aircraft carriers.)

With that in mind - the bireme is like a destroyer. The trireme is like a cruiser. The quadrireme and quinquireme are medium and large battleships. And a gigantic Nees Megistai (Huge Polireme) is like the super-battleship Yamato, but even bigger!

Now - if destroyers didn't have any torpedoes, but only their little guns, one battleship could easily fight off a whole squadron of destroyers by itself without taking much damage in return. And it takes a lot of cruisers to put down a battleship. and losses will be heavy.

Hope that gives you a rough idea of what to expect when pitting one type of ship against another.
    Last edited by Titus Marcellus Scato; 12-01-2013 at 15:45.

well id hope that 1 yamamoto/nees megistai would destroy a smaller type ship. but what im interested in is, which is more cost effective. so would 1 yamamoto still destroy lets say 6 penteres. since there are no naval battles really, its a bit hard to simulate for me. i guess it doesnt really matter in the end because the ai hardly builds huge fleets :P

We do not sow.

the auto calculator for sea batles is wierd to say the least normally it´s better to have a combination of fleets (altough the description says that even a massive like the nee would only really have 1 or 2 of those ships and they would be suported by 4 and 5 and the rest including baggage train ships or cargo ships )

officially each ship you got represents a fleet if i could mod i would mod for every fleet to have like 500 dudes instead of the average 50 that would make the previous statement more realistic and represent the real weight of constructing a fleet and being a sea power instead of only having represented the economical weight and ofc depending on the type of ship the amount of manpower it took (like a true nee fleet should have up to 4.000 population taken from a city)

i get your point :P but 4k is a bit too much since cities are capped at 25k more or less which is not historical either.

i guess illl just keep using transports and only build big ships for the fun of it :P you mostly fight pirates anyway :/

We do not sow.

mhh, I tend to stick to large fleets of 3s, 3,5s or 4s. not because they are more effective, they are not :D simply because I like to gradually reinforce my navy.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth