Poll: Which direction do you see her spinning?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Psychology Experiment [PLEASE VOTE]

Default Re: Psychology Experiment [PLEASE VOTE]

Spins whatever way I want her to, but she started clockwise first.

I am righty
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

I will if I get more people to join my mafia game in the Gameroom

*nudge nudge*

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Rock on my brother! :)
    Silence is beautiful

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    Zain, are you going to tell us why you asked this question here on the org? :)
    At a guess, Hemispherical Dominance based on 'handedness' which predicts which way she spins. His hypothesis based on this post is most likely "If right-handed, she spins clockwise, if left-handed, she spins counter-clockwise'. (Hemisphere is opposite to handedness, left-side of brain controls right-side of body, etc)

However, I don't think he currently has statistical significance with the data (haven't worked it out, he most likely has data from other sources too) but there is some correlation.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Ah, thanks for the clarification. :)
    Silence is beautiful

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    At a guess, Hemispherical Dominance based on 'handedness' which predicts which way she spins. His hypothesis based on this post is most likely "If right-handed, she spins clockwise, if left-handed, she spins counter-clockwise'. (Hemisphere is opposite to handedness, left-side of brain controls right-side of body, etc)

However, I don't think he currently has statistical significance with the data (haven't worked it out, he most likely has data from other sources too) but there is some correlation.
    He'll need a larger sample size than what he's got at this time, so as to minimize the chance of a false positive.

(yeah Zain, that was my guess too )
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 12-20-2013 at 02:20.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Given that I can make her spin both ways and so can others, I'm not sure one can draw a definite conclusion.
    Even if I look at her anew I can not tell before whether she will spin left or right at first, it may depend on the first few frames that I see or the region of her I look at first because at least for me, these things are all indicators to me brain for how to imagine her spinning around. What my brain makes of it then depends on which indicators are stronger. That's how my TTBS interpretes what is going on anyway.
    The whole left-right vs. left-right in the brain sounds way too simple to be true, should be the same part of the brain that interpretes this anyway, whether that part is left or right in the brain in all of us.

But if I'm right we can draw conclusions about which parts of her body all the perverts here stare at.
    Last edited by Husar; 12-20-2013 at 10:17.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Given that I can make her spin both ways and so can others, I'm not sure one can draw a definite conclusion
    That is why only the 'first-occasion' is being marked.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    The whole left-right vs. left-right in the brain sounds way too simple to be true, should be the same part of the brain that interpretes this anyway, whether that part is left or right in the brain in all of us.
    When you speak of being left and right-handed, it is pretty much saying one-side is more dominant. Eitherway, Zain's study seems is on par with looking methodology through high-school or undergraduate psychology. It is getting used to interpreting results, having research, and taking a look at how annoying it can be to get participants.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-20-2013 at 15:06.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

That is why only the 'first-occasion' is being marked.
    But that still ignores other potential factors such as which part of her body the perverted test subject looks at first.
    Zain could at least mention that in the limitations part of his study report (and don't forget to quote me properly! j/k).

When you speak of being left and right-handed, it is pretty much saying one-side is more dominant.
    Yeah, regarding motor functions, but does the left side calculate the right eye input and the right side the left eye input and does it matter whether you are left-handed or right-handed when the input is combined? And what implications does this have regarding the turning of this woman on a 2D screen where it doesn't really matter whether you have any eye preference? What you see isn't even a turning woman, it's just a warping of colours through switching of images with silhouettes. Only when your brain applies further logic and experience to it will it turn into a turning woman. That's why it also matters where you look first because different body parts and different stages of the movement may trigger different experiences being called up or different connections being made. And that is also why she can switch and turn the other way.

His findings may still be interesting, but even in small research, it helps to be aware of and point out the limitations and uncertainties of the study.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

It's interesting - at the point where the figure starts switching from direction to direction multiple times per second, you actually get a mild fear-response...
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    It's interesting - at the point where the figure starts switching from direction to direction multiple times per second, you actually get a mild fear-response...
    No, what brought me a fear response was when I was at work and I opened the thread, and the figure was still!

... then I realised it was Internet Explorer, so had to wait a while for it to fully load.

Blog Entries

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

This totally messes with my head.
    I'm sure the gif doesn't loop flawlessly and has been manipulated in some way beyond merely adding colours, but I can't look at it for too long to analyse it without frothing at the mouth a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I couldn't get it to spin it anti clockwise until i saw Tiaexz's post. Wow.

It spinned clockwise for me and I'm right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

clockwise first then she switched, right handed

This got interesting with Tiaexz post and then Raz quoting it so I now see 6 of the image on the same page, some of them going one way, others opposite, and the images randomly switching direction.
    Last edited by The Lurker Below; 12-28-2013 at 16:25.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

3rd choice lefty

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

If you’re havin’ girl problems, I feel bad for you son/ I got 99 problems, but a ballet girl ain’t one...

***** be spinnin' howevah and whenevah I wants her to.

Would I become left handed if I make myself think she is turning counter-clockwise?
    Wooooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lurker Below View Post
    clockwise first then she switched, right handed

This got interesting with Tiaexz post and then Raz quoting it so I now see 6 of the image on the same page, some of them going one way, others opposite, and the images randomly switching direction.
    For your viewing pleasure....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12