Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Education, yet again.

Default American Education, yet again.

Boy(6) suspended for kissing a girl/.

I rarely get myself worked up, but I do this time. Firing the principal, the teachers and the school board is too little. I say hang the buggers.

Not just because of their utterly idiotic stance on "sexual harassment" and how they view kissing, bu for their complete lack of competence in dealing with kids. How the hell they were able to get their jobs without knowing Piaget completely blows my mind. They are giving a punishment which requires logical thinking in order for a change of behaviour to occur, and the kid isn't old enough to have developed logical thinking. Seriously: Piaget's stages, Dewey's doing, Vygotskij's talking and Pavlov's dogs are the very first thing you learn in any teacher education, and they seem completely unaware of it.

Hang 'em in the town square as an example to others.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: American Education, yet again.

And here I thought we were gonna do oxymoron's

Oh well... USAnians being USAnian, wouldn't this fit better in "news of the weird"?
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 12-11-2013 at 23:16.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Tar and feathers!

Does Colorado have something like Megan's Law?

Suspension for a kiss on cheek and hands...

I guess it would have been Guantanamo if he had kissed her on the MOUTH (oh the horror!!)

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Well it is the USA why not sue for slander. Afterall wouldn't the definition of sexual harassment be defined by the law and tested by reasonable people not just a definition created by an over zealous school board.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Well it is the USA why not sue for slander. Afterall wouldn't the definition of sexual harassment be defined by the law and tested by reasonable people not just a definition created by an over zealous school board.
    That would fix one issue, however the larger issue is a school run by people who believe suspending 6-year old is a brilliant idea.

Thus, we are left with but one option: hang them all as an example to others.

The school website brags about how many degrees their staff have. I'm starting to believe they won those degrees as the third prize in the local cake lottery.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-11-2013 at 23:31.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Hopefully the kid gets placed on the sex offender list, the little pervert!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

You gotta be tough on crime to scare away the other pervert kids.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Members thankful for this post (4):

When I was 6 we played tag with kisses...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Boy(6) suspended for kissing a girl/.

I rarely get myself worked up, but I do this time. Firing the principal, the teachers and the school board is too little. I say hang the buggers.

Not just because of their utterly idiotic stance on "sexual harassment" and how they view kissing, bu for their complete lack of competence in dealing with kids. How the hell they were able to get their jobs without knowing Piaget completely blows my mind. They are giving a punishment which requires logical thinking in order for a change of behaviour to occur, and the kid isn't old enough to have developed logical thinking. Seriously: Piaget's stages, Dewey's doing, Vygotskij's talking and Pavlov's dogs are the very first thing you learn in any teacher education, and they seem completely unaware of it.

Hang 'em in the town square as an example to others.
    Now, now, now, Horry, old bean. If you trot out that Piaget nonsense we might have to think about structure and discipline instead of personal growth. ADMIT that six year olds require different discipline from those even a few years older? That would involve a county system that was not the same for all.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Surprisingly, back in 6th grade I never got in trouble for playing the "rape" game with my classmates.

Er, well, it wasn't so much a game as me jumping on them while screaming, "Rape!"

You know, kids...

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Now, now, now, Horry, old bean. If you trot out that Piaget nonsense we might have to think about structure and discipline instead of personal growth. ADMIT that six year olds require different discipline from those even a few years older? That would involve a county system that was not the same for all.
    "If you treat everyone equally, you treat everyone unequally."

Equality means treating each student differently, as one recognizes that each student is different.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

That girl did not asked to be kissed, and she will probably never recover from such aggression. That punk kid is a punk, I can tell by looking at him he is a pedophile.

On a side note, you cannot sue for slander if the message was actually broadcast by the victim, i.e. they called the news to their house.... otherwise, we would have never known anyones identities.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

"If you treat everyone equally, you treat everyone unequally."

Equality means treating each student differently, as one recognizes that each student is different.
    Bureaucracies loathe this, and American education is nothing if not bureaucratic. Such an education fits our culture, since it prepares you to expect little help aside from your own efforts; to avoid working with the authorities since they'll enforce the law the wrong way for unthinking reasons; and to mistrust all bureaucratic organizations whose mission is to "help."
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

6 year olds know love and affection. If sexual harassment had anything to do with love and affection they'd choose a word other than harassment. Unfortunately all it takes is a precedent and then every administrator that follows has to top the prior. As above, yay bureaucracy.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Bureaucracies loathe this, and American education is nothing if not bureaucratic. Such an education fits our culture, since it prepares you to expect little help aside from your own efforts; to avoid working with the authorities since they'll enforce the law the wrong way for unthinking reasons; and to mistrust all bureaucratic organizations whose mission is to "help."
    That's why the answer is "even more bureaucracy".

You see, when a country reach a certain level of bureaucratic nonsense, it's rules and regulations ceases to affect reality. Norwegian laws, for example, are merely guidelines, not actual laws. The level of bureaucracy in Norwegian education is pretty darn high, but I simply choose not to care about 95% of it.

I care about what my immediate supervisor thinks, but anyone else? Nah, not really.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lurker Below View Post
    6 year olds know love and affection. If sexual harassment had anything to do with love and affection they'd choose a word other than harassment. Unfortunately all it takes is a precedent and then every administrator that follows has to top the prior. As above, yay bureaucracy.
    Yay possible lawsuits probably. This is all incredibly rediculous, but consequences can be even more rediculous, so they probably play it safe and suspend the kid. It's certainly not fair. I think things are getting less relaxed here as well, me and my math teacher had a joke, we pretended to be in love with eachother. The principle laughed out his eyeballs when he got the joke, and that was at a christian school. I doubt such jokes would be possible today.

Blog Entries

That cases like this are even taken seriously make me think the American judges are desperately lacking the Golden rule.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-12-2013 at 21:05.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    so they probably play it safe and suspend the kid. It's certainly not fair.
    "Playing it safe" is in this case clearly child abuse.

Not exactly what you would expect from a principal.

"Playing it safe" is in this case clearly child abuse.

Not exactly what you would expect from a principal.
    Oh I am in absolute agreement with you, it's rediculous. Why see something wrong in it, it baffles me. Who started this anyway that a 6 year kid can be suspended for a peck, it's madness, and yeah child abuse. Cruel bastards, for teh children!

them

This is the best defense of the post-bussing American education system I have ever read. I wonder if LBJ would be proud of the 'great' society he left us if he were alive today...

These days, if you cannot afford to send your children to private school, you shouldn't have had them as the disadvantage of public schooling is so great. It was quite shocking to observe public school victims struggle through college classes that felt remedial to me, and I'm certainly not above average in intelligence.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Pinnacle of stupidity.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post

These days, if you cannot afford to send your children to private school, you shouldn't have had them as the disadvantage of public schooling is so great. It was quite shocking to observe public school victims struggle through college classes that felt remedial to me, and I'm certainly not above average in intelligence.
    We only had one stabbing, 4 pregnancies, and 3 overdoses my senior year.

Personally, I blame the minorities
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    We only had one stabbing, 4 pregnancies, and 3 overdoses my senior year.

Personally, I blame the minorities
    Agreed. Damn Caucasians.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    This is the best defense of the post-bussing American education system I have ever read. I wonder if LBJ would be proud of the 'great' society he left us if he were alive today...

I went through public school and went on to do pretty well in college. Of the public schools in the area, it was probably one of the better ones but it still was public.

3.) clone Horetore. Public schools needs passionate teachers probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    They're all passionate for awhile, but when you're not even getting a decent wage the sheer numbers overwhelm you. In doctors its called compassion fatigue. In assembly lines its called something else. Being a high-school teacher or a middle-school teacher is a totally losing proposition in America, and has been for a long time. Only those committed to the job get into it, and they all get burnt out by the injustice of it all.
    Well I don't really know what I am talking about I don't really know anything about the American education system. Public schooling is pretty good here at least. I can think of only two private schools, Stebo and the Lusac (hi Hax! You rich ) and the Nijenrode University. These are expensive, but the others are just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Noncommunist View Post
    I went through public school and went on to do pretty well in college. Of the public schools in the area, it was probably one of the better ones but it still was public.
    You are aware that making this a double-post sort of ruins your point, right?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I'd say I'm doing just fine in college despite the public school system, not because of it. Either way it sucks.

You only have two options though: 1.) Reform based on the latest science regarding how people--especially young children--learn things. This reform would need to be expensive and thorough, and free from reactionary interference. So it probably won't ever happen on a national level. Which is good, because even on a state-level there are really no particularly great public school systems. We not only need new techniques, we need new bureaucratic institutions that are more efficient than the ones we have now in pretty much every way. Daunting task on a state level, impossible task on a national level.
    That's very absolute of you, GC...

Fortunately, history has also shown that it's very wrong. You see, it's not that long ago you had such a national reform of every nook and cranny of your educational system. This was after the Russians launched Sputnik, and the US threw a hizzy fit over their inadequacy. This resulted in sensible educational policie, ie. gathering all the professors in one place and letting them fix everything.

So, all you need to do is wait for China to have some major breakthrough, and you'll have a proper educational system again.

They're all passionate for awhile, but when you're not even getting a decent wage the sheer numbers overwhelm you. In doctors its called compassion fatigue. In assembly lines its called something else. Being a high-school teacher or a middle-school teacher is a totally losing proposition in America, and has been for a long time. Only those committed to the job get into it, and they all get burnt out by the injustice of it all.
    Actually, you end up getting a decent (if not world beating) wage and a fairly good retirement package.

All you have to do is play the bureaucracy's game by its rules, put in your years at your repetitive little hamster wheel of learning, and not rock the boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast