Thread: Why is the Backroom Open?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Why is the Backroom Open?

See title.

It's the 24th, the forum is supposed to be locked until after Christmas.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Member thankful for this post:

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is the Backroom Open?

When I casually brought it up, there was no particular interest in locking it. Most people are away from their computers and most likely spending time with their loved ones, regardless, so it isn't as anything important changes.

The tradition came about because the moderators simply didn't trust the patrons to behave themselves during a time where they would typically not be around to respond. Each time the lock occurred, there were several complaints from people from different regions in the world as to why they should be affected. It was complicated one year when there were several worldwide events occurring in the world which ended up with the front-room getting co-opted for that purpose.

I recognise many people are simply busy at this time of the year and I trust the people who visit the Back-room be responsible. So regardless of the tradition being forced or not, I believe the 'unwritten rule' and spirit would still prevail.

On a separate note, I don't believe anyone is around at the moment to lock it. If an Admin/tech-Admin ends up visiting around, they are free lock it if they wish.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

The reason it was locked was because it wasn't considered appropriate to have peoplescreaming at each other over Christmas.

It's stuff like this that makes me come back less and less.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    The reason it was locked was because it wasn't considered appropriate to have peoplescreaming at each other over Christmas.

You don't come to the backroom because you don't like how you can come to the backroom?

EDIT: I say just lock it down. If it makes some people happy go for it.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Quote Originally Posted by PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by PVC from the RIP Thread
    So the Backroom abandons another principle common to society - no wonder I spend so little time here.
    Are such dramatics really necessary? If you like and want to maintain these traditions, highlight whatever merits you feel accompany them. Throwing your weight around by threatening absence is unproductive, especially when you are clearly not absent.

Members thankful for this post (6):

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Are such dramatics really necessary? If you like and want to maintain these traditions, highlight whatever merits you feel accompany them. Throwing your weight around by threatening absence is unproductive, especially when you are clearly not absent.
    I'm pretty absent vs how I was before the PM-reading thing.

Maybe you just haven't noticed.

I only noticed a shift sometime in the summer, actually.

Likely more to it than your disappointment in the Org's direction. You sure you haven't just been leading a driven and eventful personal life?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

Strike seems to be thanking every post. I wonder if this will get thanked...

Members thankful for this post (7):

+ Show/Hide List

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    I only noticed a shift sometime in the summer, actually.

Likely more to it than your disappointment in the Org's direction. You sure you haven't just been leading a driven and eventful personal life?
    I find this suggestion both flattering and laughably absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    I'm pretty absent vs how I was before the PM-reading thing.

Maybe you just haven't noticed.
    I think how they handled the PM reading thing was cool (if we talk about the same one, has there been more?).

The person had done EVERYTHING to **** off the board, that was kind of the only solution, and THEY CAME CLEAR WITH IT.

I don't expect the Org. to adhere to international morals and etiquette as I would expect a nation state to, I expect them to do their best to keep this environment a pleasure to visit for their members. IMHO they did.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    I don't expect the Org. to adhere to international morals and etiquette as I would expect a nation state to
    Has the Org killed anyone? Stolen any land? I'm reminded of the judge's verdict about Emperor Norton I:

"The verdict was, 'that he had shed no blood; robbed no one; and despoiled no country; which is more than can be said of his fellows in that line.' "

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Being honest, with the practises of the NSA and other agencies, they have done far worse.
    Even Facebook is free to view all your 'private messages'.

However as an unwritten rule, the .Org does not get involved with Private Messages unless one of the party comes forward with them to the staff, to raise up issues such as threats, personal attacks and illegal activities. Though, all forums have a responsibility to act in the cases of illegal activity as the website would be shutdown as a result.

As for the Warman case, I am not permitted go into details, but it was a very tactfully done and conducted operation, done at the highest level of confidence, even the reading was conducted by a lawyer. Measures far beyond the duty required.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

Hmmm. Just reading this thread makes me want to visit back room more often if only to see what kind of top secret conspiracies and plans you guys have for us, the world peasantry...

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Our top secret conspiracies and plans are so secret that we don't even know them ourselves!
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Our top secret conspiracies and plans are so secret that we don't even know them ourselves!
    Except for the top secret conspiracy plan, of course. But then, this really isn't the place or time to discuss that.

BTW, The blue fox seek the hidden heirloom sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    BTW, The blue fox seek the hidden heirloom sun.
    Sorry Comrade, that was last week's code phrase...er, if we had one.
    This space intentionally left blank