Thread: Spartan quotes (and more)...

Default Spartan quotes (and more)...

Those of you who read the regional description of Lakonike, probably noticed the quotes I inserted where they matched, or where I think they did.
    I got these from here if you are interested in many many more of them:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ans*/main.html

edit: I'll get that signature fixed soon... that picture is too big...
    Last edited by kdrakak; 01-22-2014 at 19:09. Reason: signature
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Members thankful for this post (3):

Default Re: Spartan quotes (and more)...

Thanks for posting this link. Very interesting reading.

I'm curious(but don't expect to find out) why several of the quotes have Spartans speaking in Scots.
    e.g. When the ambassadors of the Samians spoke at great length, the Spartans said to them, "We hae forgot the first part, and the later part we did na ken because we hae forgot the first."

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Maeran View Post
    I'm curious(but don't expect to find out) why several of the quotes have Spartans speaking in Scots.
    Most of the translations, found on the net, are from the later XIX° or early XX° centuries and sometimes you get a "contemporary" revision/take on people...
    While not so objective and can fall on stereotypes, imo it has merits anthropologically (common approaches of military/warring societies) and historically (coincidentally we get a look on the "mind" of people from the translations' time) for example :)

Even ancient ones were the same, more parallels for mankind throughout the ages :P, like Herodotos or, in the OP's case, Ploutarchos writing in opposition to what he felt as a time of amorality among Hellenes...
    This however doesn't mean they are to discard, "history books" as we consider them weren't really widespread among the literate public. Actually from what we can gather, in the Hellenistic Period, texts on quotes or specific episodes of life at court, often verging on entertainment and scandals unfortunately, were the most common of the books written and Ploutarchos most likely used such sources...
    Last edited by Arjos; 01-24-2014 at 11:28.

e.g. When the ambassadors of the Samians spoke at great length, the Spartans said to them, "We hae forgot the first part, and the later part we did na ken because we hae forgot the first."
    Well at least it is funnier that way right?
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

to represent that the scots where not as sophisticated as the other greeks

actually if you read the quotes properly you´ll understand that spartans considered sophists and the likes as useless at best and dangerous at worst (particulary those parts about being taught evil things from the athenians) so if given a chance i guess spartans would prefer to be described as akin to the scots rather then to the fat indulging americans arrogant brits overly pious irish and so forth so the choice to make a translation not just of the words but of the state of mind of most spartans is positive if it was done to a broader audience

gotta say i loved the ones about qomanly quarters or our borders are as vast as where our spears can reach altough i suspect that had they faced steppe people they would be screwed

The Scythians fled before the Persians of Darius, and Alexander, despite setbacks, was able to build a reputation for being the devil among nomads of Transoxiane. It is not as simple as it seems in a game battle. Had the Spartans reached that far there is no telling what might have happened. Of course a stationary phalanx receiving a rain of arrows will not do for much. But bear in mind that there were always many more conditions to be factored in. Demographics to mention one.

And why are there two pictures in my signature. I only show one in my settings.
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Spartan quotes (and more)...

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    to represent that the scots where not as sophisticated as the other greeks

actually if you read the quotes properly you´ll understand that spartans considered sophists and the likes as useless at best and dangerous at worst (particulary those parts about being taught evil things from the athenians) so if given a chance i guess spartans would prefer to be described as akin to the scots rather then to the fat indulging americans arrogant brits overly pious irish and so forth so the choice to make a translation not just of the words but of the state of mind of most spartans is positive if it was done to a broader audience
    Except that the Scots were never opposed to philosophy - nor do I see many parallels betweens Scottish and Spartan culture. I guess the author just wanted to make the Spartans sound old-fashioned. (That's the problem with using stereotypes as a parallel - it depends on the reader having the same preconception as the author.)

Quote Originally Posted by kdrakak View Post
    And why are there two pictures in my signature. I only show one in my settings.
    I guess you have selected the "extra signature image" option - confusingly, this one is found in the "edit profile" menu rather than "edit signature".
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    I guess you have selected the "extra signature image" option - confusingly, this one is found in the "edit profile" menu rather than "edit signature".
    Thanx man... other members will be thankful too. You just helped make that big Spartan disappear!
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

"When you said ten to one I thought you meant their chance of winning" Leonidas just as the Persian camp came into view. ;)

I'm not entirely sure here, but I seem to remember reading that Scots was used in the theatre to represent Doric Greek.
    There is a dialect og Scots today that is called "Doric":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doric_d...%28Scotland%29
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Member thankful for this post:

Moros