Thread: Might and Magic Legacy

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Might and Magic Legacy

It's so awesome. It's basically Might and Magic 6/7/8 with a better engine and grid movement. Anyone else tried it? I'm a diehard M&M fan so I'm not the average joe gamer when it comes to this type of RPG.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Default Re: Might and Magic Legacy

I've played the inside's out of MM7 (I am confident I can still find my way around every dungeon... how is this a good thing again...) so I'm gonna read up on this. From the Wiki page it sounds amazing. Write up something if you get around to playing it! I am eager to find out if it's worth its salt.

I'm playing it. The combat is more difficult due to it being grid based. No more sidestepping dragon fire while you pelt at it with bows. And the enemies themselves are nasty! Imagine having to stay in one place while exploring the abandoned temple on Emerald isle, with all those Vampire Bats and Spiders chomping on you. That's how it is from level 1 in this game, but I'm loving it! I haven't looked at all the spells but I think we have no more Day of the Gods which basically made Might parties dominate (Light side parties at least)

There are a lot of references to previous M&M games. The first town is named Sorpigal-by-the-sea (Scorpigal is the starting town of 6, New Scorpigal of 8) Crag Hack is mentioned in the tavern and so on.

I know 7 and 8 like the back of my hand. I still have them installed on several PCs in fact. Funny how I never did an Evil playthrough of 7. I hear 3 Liches and a Priest of the Dark are fun.

Ah, the infamous 4xDarkCloak Grandmaster Dark Dragon Breath-spam party. It had its moments, until you ran into Robert the Wise - then you start missing Knights and Light Magic buffs ^^

Just found MM7 on GOG recently. Turns out Archers are pretty good. But if you cant sidestep dragonfire... Im gonna miss that.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Wow. The number of hours I spent on Might and Magic VI : The Mandate of Heaven cannot be counted.

I'm going to wait a bit more before deciding if I should get MM6 on GOG or this Might and Magic Legacy.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Wow. The number of hours I spent on Might and Magic VI : The Mandate of Heaven cannot be counted.

I'm going to wait a bit more before deciding if I should get MM6 on GOG or this Might and Magic Legacy.
    The deluxe version of MML gives you a free copy of MM6

Funny, I've never had trouble killing Tolberti. I read that people had trouble damaging through his Power Cure. I just shredded him with Knight/Paladin/Cleric/Wizard or Knight/Monk/Archer/Cleric

Both worked wonderfully, though I did miss Lloyd's Beacon for convenience. Lategame a buffed up Master is comparable (if not superior) to a Knight. Actually he would be superior if not for Wallace with it's ridiculous Armsmaster buff. Same with Terminus in 8. And a Paladin with all points blown into Mace will paralyze very frequently.

M&M 6 sort of disappoints with the broken armour skills and the general uselessness of Might in parties. I frequently read that Sorc/Sorc/Sorc/Druid (or a variation thereof) is the strongest party in the game. And since armour skills don't work and they mess up recovery, a naked dagger wielder will be the best thing on the Might side, which is just sad.
    Last edited by Myth; 01-28-2014 at 14:15.

This was a great game series. I didn't think the 6th one was to bad.

Hmm... I started with 7 so I couldn't go back to 6. I didn't like the realistic faces (compared to the hand drawn faces of 7 and 8). 6 is by far the biggest and hardest of the classic 3, so there's that. Never made it to getting all 6 lords though. Hmmm.. I have to finish it I guess. Can't be a M&M fan and not have finished 6.

Tolberti is also infinitely easier than Robert the Wise, because Light Magic is buff-oriented, so it works in the fight. Dark Magic is damage-oriented or debuffing (they're both immune to L/D). So if you ran a Lich/Lich/Lich/PotD Dark-Grandmasters wombo-combo party it would breeze through the middle and end of the game, but Robert the Wise would be this big block of "good luck have fun" standing in your way. Litterally *nothing* you had would tickle him if you ran that setup ;) unless you ran GM Fire Magic which I only did on Light Sorcs, given that it's mostly about direct damage (which Dark covers) and abusing the weapon enchantments for infinite gold (yawn).

GM Armsmaster broke the game, but it was really what kept Knights relevant. That and their high base hp. I also ran a Thief quite often, but that was mainly because I hated getting blown in my face every time I wanted the sweet lewtz. Also it turns out that they're much superior damagedealers to Knights - again until GM Arms.

I must read more about this potentially sweet new game.

I always had each school of magic at GM regardless. Skillpoints past level 15 or so have diminishing returns. I'd rather have a GM Fire/Earth as fallback, even If I almost never use them, than having 16-17 in Dark alone.

I ran my Archmage with Incinerate as his primary damage dealing spell when playing Light. Granted, Dark Magic has lovely stuff like Shrapmetal and such, but still. Hmm.. So to deal with Robert the Wise one can probably run a Villain and hope for paralysis, a Black Knight with GM Armsmaster and Swords (Going the way of Puck+Wallace or something similar) or a Ninja with the Master's Gloves. The melee char would need to be buffed by the PotD's GM self-school spells, so they'd only be lacking the Day of the Gods buff, which is not a deal breaker IMO when for the remaining part of the game you can blast away with 3 GM Dark Magic casters.

I'd probably go with Knight since he is so solid he can carry levels 1 to 15 on is own basically.

He's easy enough with a standard setup, I was just referring to the quad-Darkmage combo. Any setup with a Priest and a melee character can deal with him.

The reason I skill Dark Magic so high is that you can farm 2-4 Cloaks of F Your S (+50% Dark points) in the Temple on Evenmorn, meaning that your 4x16 Dark mages are effectively 4x24. With Light it isn't hugely relevant to skill past 10 except for your main buffer (read: the Priest with the Lightcloak), but for Dark everything scales so well with points that it's worth it to sack less useful schools to pump Dark to 24+ with the Cloak. I believe Dragon's Breath was around 50+(1-25*Dark points), which meant that each round of Breaths averaged more than 1k splash damage. That was my brilliant train of thought up until Robert the Wise who cared so little about my 24 point Dragon Breaths that I could hear his giggling as he ran around chain-casting Power Heal to fend off my mighty 3xStaff + Priest Mace setup, praying for chain-chain-chain stuns from the Priest. It... took a while ^^ God, the giggling... the horror...

Wow this sounds hilarious.

You could have did some save scumming to get:

Scroll of Day of the Gods (or use the Pedestal, whichever version is better)
    Cast ALL the buffs
    Weapons, Rings - anything of the gods
    3 x Daggers of Infernos
    Be hasted 100% of the time, all the time, all day every day

I suppose that theoretically can get it done.

Or... Just go for the ancient weapons. I myself choose to play without laser abuse.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    The deluxe version of MML gives you a free copy of MM6

Funny, I've never had trouble killing Tolberti. I read that people had trouble damaging through his Power Cure. I just shredded him with Knight/Paladin/Cleric/Wizard or Knight/Monk/Archer/Cleric

Both worked wonderfully, though I did miss Lloyd's Beacon for convenience. Lategame a buffed up Master is comparable (if not superior) to a Knight. Actually he would be superior if not for Wallace with it's ridiculous Armsmaster buff. Same with Terminus in 8. And a Paladin with all points blown into Mace will paralyze very frequently.

M&M 6 sort of disappoints with the broken armour skills and the general uselessness of Might in parties. I frequently read that Sorc/Sorc/Sorc/Druid (or a variation thereof) is the strongest party in the game. And since armour skills don't work and they mess up recovery, a naked dagger wielder will be the best thing on the Might side, which is just sad.

We didn't have internet at home back in those days and I've never been very tech savvy, so I was never aware of those MM6 bugs you mention.

Which makes me wonder, how many less complaints about "broken games" would there be if people didn't have internet. I'm pretty sure that, except for stuff that makes your computer crash, most people wouldn't even be aware that they are playing a so-called "broken game".

Away with the internet! Ignorance is bliss!
    Last edited by Andres; 01-29-2014 at 13:19.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

They are broken as in: bugged. They don't reduce recovery time, so your guys swing much slower if they are wearing armour. There is also a gate in castle Darkmoor (or something) which doesn't open. Fortunately, there are fan patch fixes for those.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Ah, good old MM6&7. Archery was so broken in that game, and by broken I mean overpowered. I once ran with 4 Archers, and dominated anything that I could see. Loose a volley on the enemy so they are stunlocked, move back a step, repeat until you kill it. Not to mention Air+Water allows for flying, town portals, and enchanting.

So Yahtzee took a swing at our newest MM-game, and I am annoyingly in agreement with him. I hate when that happens, but after a while it becomes kind of futile to escape the frustration of mainly two things: The grid-based movement and the inescapable combat.

Now I like that the game on the high difficulty is continually smacking me around like Im hardly even there, forcing me to scout for quests and enemies that I have a chance to beat. Im fine with that. What I absolutely hate is the exact situation that he describes, which is what just happened to me: You walk through a magical tree-portal only to walk into a 600 foot Minotaur of Epic Doom, who then casually annihilates you in three cleave attacks with you having absolutely no way of fighting back - including by running away! It's so bloody frustrating that it's forcing me to save-scum, because if I ever get out too deep I am dead with no chance to bolt for it - yawn! It ruins the adventuring fun by becoming an oldschool trial-and-error-platformer, which is sad to say the least.

And then there is that grid-system movement. My goodness I hate it. I picked a stern, what-appears-to-be-quite-old elven ranger to dish out the hurt at range. Well, I think she's killed litterally (as in: litterally) 100 times more creatures in melee than at range, because unless the enemy is exactly on your line of tile - something they actively attempt to dodge - you can't... shoot them... what? At best you get 5 shots before the enemy is in melee, which happens once per never. Im fine with tuning down ranged kiting, but its so extremely in the other ditch that I wonder what they were thinking. The grid-thing also really hampers adventuring, mostly because I feel obliged to grid-surf in order to not miss anything. Even in towns! What was so bad about the MM7-movement system outside of combat that they couldn't just use that? I had to scout for "things" by looking at said "things", now Im just path-walking down 1 linear wooden path after the other to get to the chest at the end. I don't get the secrets system, I hate the lack of Perception-like abilities that don't need refreshing every 50 steps and there are too many One-Turn-Kill-spells in the most arbitrary of places. Culled your way through the Elemental Forge-elves? Have some Light Elementals! Oh... they were kind of easy. Not like the doombringers from HoMM6. Now! Walk three steps to the right towards those two Air Elementa... aaaand you're dead to double Chain Lightning of complete annihilation. Hope you save-scummed! You prick!

At least my Paladin is a walking monster of awesome, else I would probably have given up by now out of sheer frustration. I cannot wrap my head around the downgrade in design from games that are 15 years old.

Yes I agree that the grid system is too rigid. And retreating from combat is a must! I'm hoping for invisibility or something. I miss the Lloyd's Beacon heal strat I used to tackle areas way above my weight in MM 6,7 and 8.

BTW, regarding Tolberti. I had forgotten how darn imbalanced Sparks was: