Thread: Bye bye, Britain

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Bye bye, Britain

Great Britain wants to make the people vote if they want to stay in the European Union or leave it and Britains politicians keep on demanding reforms of the Union so that Britain can stay.

This is my point of view.

Of course Britain is part of Europe (although they may not fell that way) with common values, history and economy. Britain is an economical power, which could and should be one of the leaders of the Union. However, Britain likes to play the internal opposition, claiming special conditions and blocking the development of the Union.

I think it would not be democratic to insist that Britain stays, if its people do not want to. The EU is not the USA, there will be no Civil War. However, it would be more undemocratic if Britain wanted to dictate the course of the Union.

The European Union is based on solidarity as a counter concept to national egoism and class struggle. Britain has a completely different view on economy, foreign policy and military. If Britain does not want to follow the European way, it may leave. And it should do it as soon as possible without this painful comedy.

I do not think that there is a way to keep Britain in the Union. Te differences came to a point where there does not seem to be a good compromise any longer. Especially the British spying of citizens of other European countries is absolotely proves that there is no way to keep Britain in the Union.

There is no bad thing in leaving the Union, GB would still be a friend with economical and military connections. But the Union would no longer hinder the Britain to go its way and the Union would finally be able to go on itself.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar