Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And they can’t take no for an answer! Syria

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Exclamation And they can’t take no for an answer! Syria

Remember when intervention in Syria was about the chemical weapons.

There was a serious outcry from the public and congress. No Troops On the Ground!

The military was not real happy about it either.

No one was really pleased with the prospect of sending arms either. Why arm potential enemies?

And there was no sure way of knowing who we might be giving them to.

But: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...#disqus_thread

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: And they can’t take no for an answer! Syria

I have to say that I'm disappointed. After Bush 43 left the office I thought "that's it, we've hit the rock-bottom". Clearly I was mistaken: Obama is a bigger idiot than Bush.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Members thankful for this post (2):

They should rather invade Ukraine.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

They should invade China and Russia at the same time. That would at least be dynamic. Live betting on WW3...

"Americans are now pushing on the left side and, oooh, my God!!! What a move by Petraeus! Truly one of the all time greats... Americans have Russians on the defensive and this thing seems as good as over. But, what's this?!!! The Chinese are moving in. Amazing footwork by Fang Fenghui. Do we have a new star? This reporter certainly thinks so. We'll be back after these messages."

Among options is supplementing the Central Intelligence Agency's limited, covert arming and training program for moderate rebels by creating a parallel training mission led by U.S. Special Operations forces.
    Wondermous! Yes, let's please get into this business again.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

There's a civil war going on between a partly mad group of rebels and a power-mad dictator who has shown he will take any measure necessary to remain in power.

If the worlds military powers didn't have plans ready to step in when necessary, it would be negligence bordering on the insane.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    They should invade China and Russia at the same time. That would at least be dynamic. Live betting on WW3...

"Americans are now pushing on the left side and, oooh, my God!!! What a move by Petraeus! Truly one of the all time greats... Americans have Russians on the defensive and this thing seems as good as over. But, what's this?!!! The Chinese are moving in. Amazing footwork by Fang Fenghui. Do we have a new star? This reporter certainly thinks so. We'll be back after these messages."
    Reminds me of this:

Either way, if ~50% of Americans (re-)elected Bush and the other ~50% of Americans (re-)elected Obama and both Bush and Obama are idiots, does that mean that ~100% of Americans want an idiot to (continue to) lead the country? Is that another one of these "let's make the government as inefficient as possible except when it comes to spying and killing"-ideas?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    when necessary
    What is the criterion for this step? When exactly is it necessary for me and/or my children to risk life on the other side of the world? Furthermore, why is all on the worlds military powers, and why do they have the right/obligation to step in. Why don't Scandinavian countries become military powers and step in.

Argh, things get a little more serious when your children have to sign up for selective service. Makes me want to pick up my second amendment weapons and start changing governments.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

There's a civil war going on between a partly mad group of rebels and a power-mad dictator who has shown he will take any measure necessary to remain in power.

If the worlds military powers didn't have plans ready to step in when necessary, it would be negligence bordering on the insane.
    Ooh, than it's gonna get interesting. Than the poor joke I made may very well become a reality...

Quote Originally Posted by The Lurker Below View Post
    What is the criterion for this step?
    IMO, the criteria was met years ago.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    ...Either way, if ~50% of Americans (re-)elected Bush and the other ~50% of Americans (re-)elected Obama and both Bush and Obama are idiots, does that mean that ~100% of Americans want an idiot to (continue to) lead the country?...
    Tradition.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Either way, if ~50% of Americans (re-)elected Bush and the other ~50% of Americans (re-)elected Obama and both Bush and Obama are idiots, does that mean that ~100% of Americans want an idiot to (continue to) lead the country? Is that another one of these "let's make the government as inefficient as possible except when it comes to spying and killing"-ideas?
    It's more of an "idiot vs bigger idiot" kind of thing. I can't stand Obama, but I could not allow Romney anywhere near the Oval Office. We'll persevere through Obama; we've persevered through worse.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Plus - America always has a plan to kill everyone. Literally - they have a plan to invade the UK, and one to Nuke us.

Aren't we special?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Plus - America always has a plan to kill everyone. Literally - they have a plan to invade the UK, and one to Nuke us.

Aren't we special?
    Not too much. As I understand it, the Pentagon has contingency plans for invasions, interventions and strikes for most of Europe, The Americas, The Middle East, Large swaths of Asia and a few spots in Africa. Some of those contingency plans are probably a bit out-dated but I am sure there is a protocol to dust them up every so often and re-work them. This is what professional staff weenies do. REMFs ftw!
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Not too much. As I understand it, the Pentagon has contingency plans for invasions, interventions and strikes for most of Europe, The Americas, The Middle East, Large swaths of Asia and a few spots in Africa. Some of those contingency plans are probably a bit out-dated but I am sure there is a protocol to dust them up every so often and re-work them. This is what professional staff weenies do. REMFs ftw!
    That's what military strategists are supposed to do. Having an "in case stuff" plan for any possible situation is the smart thing to do. The way they set up their colonial empire through military intervention, corporations and the monetary system allowing the dollar to become the economic frankenstein it is to day is much more frightening IMO. And let's not forget the spying and their overflowing prisons, and also the invention of bogus diseases like ADD (and forcing medication for their treatment on children)

Supposedly the UN has the global police function, but as we have seen in the past, when the USA breaks the rules no one dares DO anything. Because they can't. No one can win a war versus the USA, even the entire world combined. At best, they can be confined to their home continent or MAD can be achieved through WMDs. At worst, the vastly superior US navy would dominate international waters and trade, thus suffocating their major competitors.

So from a position of power, the USA knows that it's the biggest kid on the block, by far, and so it can bully whomever it wants.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    That's what military strategists are supposed to do. Having an "in case stuff" plan for any possible situation is the smart thing to do. The way they set up their colonial empire through military intervention, corporations and the monetary system allowing the dollar to become the economic frankenstein it is to day is much more frightening IMO. And let's not forget the spying and their overflowing prisons, and also the invention of bogus diseases like ADD (and forcing medication for their treatment on children)

Supposedly the UN has the global police function, but as we have seen in the past, when the USA breaks the rules no one dares DO anything. Because they can't. No one can win a war versus the USA, even the entire world combined. At best, they can be confined to their home continent or MAD can be achieved through WMDs. At worst, the vastly superior US navy would dominate international waters and trade, thus suffocating their major competitors.

So from a position of power, the USA knows that it's the biggest kid on the block, by far, and so it can bully whomever it wants.
    Fortunately for the rest of the world, however much we throw our weight around over little disputes, we just aren't conquerors -- except on a cultural/economic level (with all respect to Civilization gamers, btw, the USA exported culture is anything but highbrow. We export culture like Coca-Cola, Budweiser, t-shirts as fashion, over-priced sneakers, and enough Hollywood action movies so that the entire world now knows the upthrust middle finger gesture). Might make us the worst of all things -- a busybody do-gooder who won't quite see things through to completion.

Come to think of it, maybe it would be kinder if we used bombs and old-school imperialism.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 02-24-2014 at 18:53. Reason: Sentences not connected properly

Fortunately for the rest of the world, however much we throw our weight around over little disputes, we just aren't conquerors
    Conquering is so 19th century. In the 20th, installing puppet regimes who quelled all opposition was all the rage. Nowadays, it's about persuading a country that by being a puppet they're getting more liberties and wealth, so they apply for the position themselves.

Nowadays, it's about persuading a country that by being a puppet they're getting more liberties and wealth, so they apply for the position themselves.
    If you get more liberties and wealth, then are you really a puppet?

It was more of a joke, but, yes, it's possible.

Indentured servant enjoys more liberties than a slave.

Indentured servant enjoys more liberties than a slave.
    And how does that apply to states?

They're making our country better! Quick Mostafa, get the bomb belt!!

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    And how does that apply to states?
    There are different levels of exploitation.

A crude example, there's a patch of sand somewhere in the world. Tomorrow oil is found. A foreign country comes over there and starts drilling. Out of the oil taken the residents of the patch of sand get 20% and the foreign country 80%. The residents of the patch of sand are infinitely richer than they were, yet it's still exploitation by the foreign country.

I don't see what is so difficult to grasp about the concept.

There are different levels of exploitation.

A crude example, there's a patch of sand somewhere in the world. Tomorrow oil is found. A foreign country comes over there and starts drilling. Out of the oil taken the residents of the patch of sand get 20% and the foreign country 80%. The residents of the patch of sand are infinitely richer than they were, yet it's still exploitation by the foreign country.

I don't see what is so difficult to grasp about the concept.
    That's a bad example. Oil is almost universally taxed at around 90%. Oil creates extreme wealth for all countries it is found in, and the vast majority of the wealth stays with the country it is found in.

The reason why it so rarely benefits the general population is due to corruption by national officials. You can't blame BP for their scams.

That's a bad example. Oil is almost universally taxed at around 90%. Oil creates extreme wealth for all countries it is found in, and the vast majority of the wealth stays with the country it is found in.

The reason why it so rarely benefits the general population is due to corruption by national officials. You can't blame BP for their scams.
    It's not about specific examples, it's about principle. Use oranges and orange juice. Raw and dried vegetables.

It's not about specific examples, it's about principle.
    Of course, and I wholeheartedly agree with the concept.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Fortunately for the rest of the world, however much we throw our weight around over little disputes, we just aren't conquerors -- except on a cultural/economic level (with all respect to Civilization gamers, btw, the USA exported culture is anything but highbrow. We export culture like Coca-Cola, Budweiser, t-shirts as fashion, over-priced sneakers, and enough Hollywood action movies so that the entire world now knows the upthrust middle finger gesture). Might make us the worst of all things -- a busybody do-gooder who won't quite see things through to completion.

Come to think of it, maybe it would be kinder if we used bombs and old-school imperialism.
    Yes, speaking as a Civ 5 player - America is on the way for a Cultural victory and probably can get a Warmonger one too.

However, let's not kid ourselves - you're not conquering en masse not because of the goodness of your hearts (not speaking for the general US population, we're talking the guys who run the show) but because unless it's very isolated local conflicts and there's a lot of propaganda set up beforehand ("Quickly! Kill Saddam because he has chemical weapons and he may soon have nucular weapons!") then you would be stepping on some toes you'd rather not be stepping on. That Russia and China can't invade your home continent due to their inability to power project past your awesome navy doesn't mean they can't reduce the United States to a nuclear wasteland.

As much as we moan about nuclear weapons, they are the sole reason we haven't seen any war bigger than Iraq 1 and 2, and the marauding bands in Africa shooting each other with AK-47s. So now basically anyone who wants to increase his geopolitical influence and get richer has to play by the rules. Sort of.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Yes, speaking as a Civ 5 player - America is on the way for a Cultural victory and probably can get a Warmonger one too.

However, let's not kid ourselves - you're not conquering en masse not because of the goodness of your hearts (not speaking for the general US population, we're talking the guys who run the show) but because unless it's very isolated local conflicts and there's a lot of propaganda set up beforehand ("Quickly! Kill Saddam because he has chemical weapons and he may soon have nucular weapons!") then you would be stepping on some toes you'd rather not be stepping on. That Russia and China can't invade your home continent due to their inability to power project past your awesome navy doesn't mean they can't reduce the United States to a nuclear wasteland.

As much as we moan about nuclear weapons, they are the sole reason we haven't seen any war bigger than Iraq 1 and 2, and the marauding bands in Africa shooting each other with AK-47s. So now basically anyone who wants to increase his geopolitical influence and get richer has to play by the rules. Sort of.
    Some truth there. Remember, however, that many of our elected leaders do have a bit of a "Do-gooder" streak in them. It's a cultural value and elites are also enculturated -- they don't get to stand back from the cultural process and use it solely as a tool for the plebs.

I can take the rest, but that Budweiser..Its just too much to bear or was it beer?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    I can take the rest, but that Budweiser..Its just too much to bear or was it beer?
    I've never tasted bear urine, but I would not be entirely surprised at the connection. Bud would qualify as a WMD if we were dropping it on the locals. I have heard that it is --gasp! -- actually purchased by those overseas. WALSTIB

I've never tasted bear urine, but I would not be entirely surprised at the connection. Bud would qualify as a WMD if we were dropping it on the locals. I have heard that it is --gasp! -- actually purchased by those overseas. WALSTIB
    People do strange things for certain..But rice in the beer. If it is hard combination for a Finn as myself who would probably drink that Bear piss if it had enough alcohol in it.Just wait for the "real beer" Europeans to even see the word Budd... unless it is followed by Budvar ..
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast