Thread: What's your most satisfying battle victory?

Default What's your most satisfying battle victory?

Which battle had you encountered and had no expectations of winning, but you still won.

---

Mine is:
    I had a group of Briton soldiers heading towards Lemonum, when suddenly, I was ambushed by the Gaul. I was hammered and forced to retreat. On my way back to base, another ambush. I Was very near base, and had to fight the Gallic ambush, or risk losing ground and allowing them the upper hand.

My army: Chariots (6) and Warband (45).
    Their army: 1 X Barbarian Cavalry, 2 X Chosen Swordsmen and 1 X War Dogs (all a full contingent).

I had hid my Chariots in the woods and left my Warband out so they would be seen by the enemy. As the enemy sent a small contingent and approached the woods, I launched an attack from my Chariots and hit them hard, making them flank and run off of the battle field. It was then just 1 X War Dogs and 1X Chosen Swordsmen. The Warband slipped into the woods and I retreated my Chariots. They headed for the Chariots and I attacked with the hidden Warband. With the Warband holding steady, I ran the Chariots through the enemy repeatedly and eventually they routed and I won.

Battered and bruised, I returned my troops home and sent out another full army, but this time, sending 2 spies out ahead to spot for ambushes.

After this, the Gauls flooded troops towards Lemonum to defend that settlement which enabled me to easily take Alesia. :)

Default Re: What's your most satisfying battle victory?

My most satisfying victory was formally a draw.

I played Macedon in the Rome Total History mod.

After the battle of Ipsos, my king Demetrios Poliorcetes was retreating from Iconium through the Isaurian valley down to Side in Pamphylia. He was alone with his bodyguards and he was followed by a huge Seleucid army of 1400 men. He could have gone straight to Side, but that would have exposed the poorly defended city to a perilous siege. So he decided to halt in the narrow canyon trying to slow the enemy's approach.

When the battle started Demetrius took position on the Southern edge of the western slope. He waited patiently as the enemy army came down the valley and then up the slope. I guess they were already tired when they cornered him. At this point the original battle plan was a quick retreat. But Demetrius spotted a weak point in the enemy phalanx and decdided to break through to the northern edge of the valley. He routed two or three militias in the process and then rode to the northwestern corner of the map. There he waited and when the enemy arrived, he played the same trick again, returning to the previous point.
    Then, before they could corner him again, he rode down into the valley and up the eastern slope. The enemy followed with his cavalry ahead and when Demetrius saw how tired they were he attacked and routed them. Then, before the infantry arrived, he rode to the northern edge of the eastern slope. There he waited again. At this point the Seleucids were already in complete disorder and this time Demetrius charged their skirmishers in the middle of the valley. Then he returned to his starting point where he waited for the night to end the battle.

Although formally a draw, the battle was a huge success. Demetrius had killed over 450 Seleucids. His own casualties were 25 companions. As a result the enemy found it wiser to return to Iconium, and the city of Side was safe.

If you're interested in the mod, here is some information: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-History-(RTH)
    There you will also find the download link.

Member thankful for this post:

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

A legion of Marian troops as the Brutii, equipped with experienced cohorts, archer auxilia and artillery, holding ground versus two consecutive egyptian armies full of great bowmen and deadly chariots.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

BI Me the fransk with a full stack of francisca heerband and some riders. Took out burgundys last settlement, next turn, they horde. They come at me with 4 stacks, i defeat them. It was glorious!

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

This:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...rmenia02-1.jpg

There's another Big E full-stack slightly off-screen to the SW...all the little stacks combined to create a single full-stack...and all four stacks attacked my general (Kudurmabug of Elegeia) in succession on the same turn. The garrison commander in Jerusalem was the Egyptian faction leader, and his stack had 10 Chariot Archers out of the 20 units in the stack.

The aftermath:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Armenia06.jpg

The Pharaoh losses 4000 of his finest, including his faction leader, and the Pasha of Armenia loses 150 of his best horse-archers.

A fair trade if you ask me

The battlefield gave no positional advantage to either side, being completely gentle rolling desert.

I'd often wondered how much of a challenge it would have been if the AI had sent all four armies at once
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 03-10-2014 at 22:20.
    High Plains Drifter

As Franks, was attacked in a city by Hun horde. I had two units of levy spearmen, one francisca heerban, and I think one sword and one axe heerban, might have had two of each, on the walls. Formed shield wall at gates with spearmen, had heerbann on walls. Final tally was over 5000 Huns killed, thanks to boiling oil from gates and impenetrable shield wall.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

My finest to go off what the High Plains Drifter said was defeating 3000 Julii at the same time with an Armenian Army (with Cat Archers, Lancers, and even Horse Archers as front line troops to bait them into my heavy-hitters, and to chase down routing units) while losing only 200 of my best cavalry. I still had to hack through a stack to take Segestica though.
    Last edited by RusaHGPATX1821; 06-25-2019 at 14:43.