Thread: Path length CTD (probably impacts EB1 stability)

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Default Path length CTD (probably impacts EB1 stability)

As discussed in this thread on the EB2 forum, the team discovered that certain Siege Battle CTDs were caused by overall file and folder path length. Any combination of the two in excess of 127 characters resulted in a Siege Battle CTD (in certain climates).

Rather than reprise the discussion over here, suffice it to say that we have received enough reports to indicate that players of EB1 could also benefit from reducing game folder path length. It's much more complicated (sadly) for Steam users, but everyone else should have no problem changing the path length from something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Rome Total War\ to C:\EB1 (which is a reduction of 31 characters - not small given that EB has some very long unit model and file names)

Anyway, if you have been experiencing random CTDs (not necessarily just in siege battles) and you can easily reduce your path length, the recommendation is to do it!
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Default Re: Path length CTD (probably impacts EB1 stability)

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    As discussed [URL="https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?146405-Implications-of-path-length-CTD-discovery"]It's much more complicated (sadly) for Steam users
    Meaning it's impossible ? Too bad this wasn't found out before I bought a new copy of RTW :-(

Thanx fotr the info anyway and good luck for EB2.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiade View Post
    Meaning it's impossible ? Too bad this wasn't found out before I bought a new copy of RTW :-(

Thanx fotr the info anyway and good luck for EB2.
    I don't use Steam but have heard that you can change the install directory to something like C:\Steam:

Its simple, all you need to do is uninstall steam completely yes you will have to re-install your games again but thats the only downside to it.

Then go to the steam website and you will see in the top right hand corner of the web page "install steam" click that and then you will get to choose where you want it installed, same as choosing a destination when installing a non-steam game .... the rest is simple from there on.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

I don't use Steam but have heard that you can change the install directory to something like C:\Steam:
    Ok : I see we can't get rid of the "/steam/steamapp/common/" part but it's already an economy of the "/programfiles (x86)/" which makes 18 charcater if the space is counted.

Thx for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiade View Post
    Ok : I see we can't get rid of the "/steam/steamapp/common/" part but it's already an economy of the "/programfiles (x86)/" which makes 18 charcater if the space is counted.
    Yeah I just got the steam version from humble bundle just to get rid of the cd, but then realized there's not really any good way of getting rid of the long pathlength. You can make a different steam library when you install a new game(or by going to settings>downloads>Steam library folders) but it still also adds the /steamapps/common/ to the new library folder. I guess you can shave off 4 letters by giving the folder a one letter name(S/steamapps/common/RTW instead of Steam/steamapps/common/RTW) but it's still kinda annoying. I hope EB2 takes steam players into account since the bug is now known.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppis View Post
    Yeah I just got the steam version from humble bundle just to get rid of the cd, but then realized there's not really any good way of getting rid of the long pathlength. You can make a different steam library when you install a new game(or by going to settings>downloads>Steam library folders) but it still also adds the /steamapps/common/ to the new library folder. I guess you can shave off 4 letters by giving the folder a one letter name(S/steamapps/common/RTW instead of Steam/steamapps/common/RTW) but it's still kinda annoying. I hope EB2 takes steam players into account since the bug is now known.:)
    One of the EB2 playtesters is using Steam, so far successfully, so we haven't forgotten you! And bovi worked a project to go in and reduce the file name lengths on the unti textures that seemed to be the source of the problem, and we haven't seen the CTD since. So that will help too. No bandwidth to go back and redo EB1 unfortunately - it's a massive job and we can't lose focus on EB2.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

One of the EB2 playtesters is using Steam, so far successfully, so we haven't forgotten you! And bovi worked a project to go in and reduce the file name lengths on the unti textures that seemed to be the source of the problem, and we haven't seen the CTD since. So that will help too. No bandwidth to go back and redo EB1 unfortunately - it's a massive job and we can't lose focus on EB2.
    If i wanted to fix some CTD's in EB1 what file would i have to got to? Would going to D\RTW\EB\Data\models_unit and simply shortening some overly long names work or would i have to change something else as well?

Also My Siege CTD happens in the capital of the Arverni in spring, do they have mediteranean climate?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Path length CTD (probably impacts EB1 stability)

Quote Originally Posted by Milnaht View Post
    If i wanted to fix some CTD's in EB1 what file would i have to got to? Would going to D\RTW\EB\Data\models_unit and simply shortening some overly long names work or would i have to change something else as well?
    I doubt it's as easy as that. Could @bovi and @Kull have a look at this question?

(Apologies for pinging you if you'd already seen it, but I get the impression I am the only one still watching this forum.)
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Didn't see it. But yeah, it's not that easy. As far as I know the path length issue does not affect RTW. It really shouldn't, because there is no model DB file, and that means the code reading/using the stuff is different. You're welcome to try to do that of course, but I imagine it will be a fruitless effort.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

If you wanna fix your file path length LongPathTool software is works good also you can have more option related to file size, extension etc.