Thread: Major Update on Combat Mission Battle for Normandy

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Default Major Update on Combat Mission Battle for Normandy

This is no FPS - but a 1:1 detailed battle simulator from Company to approx. Battalion level in the WWII ETO.

Here is a link to the announcement:

http://www.battlefront.com/community...hp?f=124&a=370

Quote:
    Combat Mission - Battle for Normandy (CM:BN) faithfully recreates the experience of tactical land warfare in Western France during World War Two. Using the unique Turn-Based (WeGo)/Real-Time hybrid game system (new to CM? Click here for more info to learn what makes it unique and different from mainstream RTS games) of our proprietary CMx2 battle engine, the first installment in this new series covers the three months after the Allied D-Day landings in Normandy in June 1944, from Operation Overlord in June through the Cobra Breakout in August.

Here are links to a beta build AAR - well more like a "D"uring Action Report or DAR:

US = http://www.battlefront.com/community...ad.php?t=94495

German = http://www.battlefront.com/community...ad.php?t=94496

Been waiting for this one for a long time and thought that I would share.

Screenie:

"Après moi le déluge"

Member thankful for this post:

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Major Update on Combat Mission Battle for Normandy

Actually looks very interesting!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

They have done a lot to correct the premature and buggy release of Combat Mission Shock Force and has turned that into a gem. Going back to WW2 with this engine can only be good. So I'm looking forward to this one.

Wait, so is Combat Mission Strike Force any good? It looks ok, but everyone says that its really buggy.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Wait, so is Combat Mission Strike Force any good? It looks ok, but everyone says that its really buggy.
    It was buggy to begin with and I stayed away from it until last Autumn when I bought it and the expansions that came with. I thought it was quite good even though I don't have any love for modern warfare.

edit: They should have an updated demo so try it out
    Last edited by CBR; 01-10-2011 at 15:31.

Will do, thanks for the tip. I was looking for a good modern warfare sim and I think this might be it.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Well I got the demo and after a bit of learning and messing around with it, its really fun. And challenging. A real combat sim.

I just finished the mission Shattered Steel. Its the one where I have to basically set up an ambush point for Syrian armor thats entering the area. So I sent my Abrams forwards to deal with the Syrian armor that was in the area at first, used my mortars to deal with the ATGMs that were in the treeline. When that was done, I moved my tanks (one tank and one Stryker was knocked out by ATGMs) to the opposite side of the map where they could give support to my men as well as knock out Syrian tanks as they appeared. I then sent my Strykers around the buildings, and assaulted the top floors of the buildings where Syrian infantry were holed up. I lost 8 men and a Stryker when a BMP (I think) that was hiding opened up on my men who were assaulting a building. But I took the building and won.

First successful mission!
    I think I like this game, and I may just buy it.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I remember being intrigued with but terrible at the demo of the first CM game, but I went back to Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far. Interested in the latest one after the RPS coverage.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Is the series very mod-friendly; is there much of a modding community?
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Things like skins, sounds and new maps as well as custom scenarios and campaigns can be made. Don't know that much about it really, but there are limits to what one can do, so I don't think new vehicles can be made.

A part of their forum is dedicated to modding: http://www.battlefront.com/community...splay.php?f=70

http://www.battlefront.com/community...hp?f=124&a=388

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy is now open for pre-orders and is expected to be released late April

Lincoln, Nebraska. It's in the U.S. In the middle.

Hey all
    Had to register here just to give my two cents on this one, and second Barkhorn1x's enthusiasm.
    (First, I'm not affiliated with Battlefront in any business way---just a long-time fan, and avid WWII history buff and gamer :)
    Also a Total War fan from the early days---I really need to look into Shogun 2.

I've been a Battlefront customer since their early days, and played the heck out of the early Combat Mission games. Didn't have much interest in modern stuff so I never played Shock Force etc, and was glad to hear they're going back to WWII with this release.
    They're a great company with great customer support and a very active community. Now that they've had time to polish up their CMx2 engine via Shock Force, I'm confident that CM:BN is gonna be epic.
    Anyway, yeah...the CM series is definitely a sim more than a game, and Battlefront is VERY hardcore about getting all the details historically (and mechanically) accurate. I've never found any game that even comes close to it, so if you're into realistic military gaming (and especially WWII) don't hesitate to pick it up. It's a bit pricey, but there's just hundreds (thousands, really) of hours of game play, especially with a random "quick battle" feature, and all the additional scenarios and whatnot that the community will create.

As far as modding, there was lots of good stuff done for the early games of the series. Don't know if there will be for this one (just because most everything already seems to be looking so good), but I'm sure it will be mod-able.
    /sales pitch

Carry on, and enjoy!

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Welcome to the org Cull

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Org, Cull!

Do be sure to check out Shogun 2. All the praise the AI (!) is getting is driving me to buy it.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I half want them to delay this game because my gaming plate is already overflowing...

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    I half want them to delay this game because my gaming plate is already overflowing...
    Heh, same boat here. Tiger Woods 12, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, several last-gen RPGs, Minecraft. But at the risk of pimping Combat Mission again: when it comes out everything else goes on the back burner for a good month! That said...thanks a lot Crazed Rabbit....now I'm probably going to put even more on my plate with Shogun 2

And thanks for the warm welcomes! Should any of you venture into the forums over at Battlefront I'd expect you to get the same.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Tiger Woods 12? Is that like where you have to score with a dozen women before the championship ends? Oh, I hope there's amateur and pro divisions...

Hah, welcome Cull, I'd like to ask, have you ever played Steel Panthers?
    I've been playing a lot of SP:WW2 in the last few months leading up to this Combat Mission release to get me in the zone for a war sim (as if it were some kind of narcotic ). I haven't played any Combat Mission myself, but from what I've read they're the same concept (an in-depth WW2 tactical simulator - replete with hyper-realism!), but they've gone about it in different ways (Steel Panthers is a hex-based top-down 2D rendition of a battlefield).

Should any of you venture into the forums over at Battlefront I'd expect you to get the same.
    I very well might do if an active modding community becomes apparent, I love to tinker and tweak with my games as much as possible. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Tiger Woods 12? Is that like where you have to score with a dozen women before the championship ends? Oh, I hope there's amateur and pro divisions...
    That's actually a mini-game within, along with "Lose a dozen sponsors" and "Fail to complete a dozen course design projects"

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Hah, welcome Cull, I'd like to ask, have you ever played Steel Panthers?
    I've been playing a lot of SP:WW2 in the last few months leading up to this Combat Mission release to get me in the zone for a war sim (as if it were some kind of narcotic ). I haven't played any Combat Mission myself, but from what I've read they're the same concept (an in-depth WW2 tactical simulator - replete with hyper-realism!), but they've gone about it in different ways (Steel Panthers is a hex-based top-down 2D rendition of a battlefield).

I very well might do if an active modding community becomes apparent, I love to tinker and tweak with my games as much as possible. :)
    Surprisingly, never played Steel Panthers. Thanks for the suggestion. I see that some of the series is freeware now so I might have to grab them.
    By the way: one of the developers at Battlefront just (unofficially) announced in the forum that the release of CM:BN is next week. I'm assuming that there will be a demo available simultaneously, but not sure on that.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I highly suggest Steel Panthers (SP:WW2). A really good game!!

EDIT: Raz, interested of doing a SP:WW2 hotseat game?
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 04-15-2011 at 21:35.

Anyone who has CM:SF want to do a PBEM game?
    I love this game its so addicting.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Hey all. Just wanted to update....the release was (not surprisingly) delayed a bit from the "end of April" original announcement, but it's imminent now. Demo's expected immediately, and the full release will likely be simultaneous, or very close behind.

I cant wait for this!
    Though Im not liking the zit-like foxholes that they implemented.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Resurrected an old thread for the purposes of an update. CMBN has had a recent couple of patch updates, one is strictly a patch and is free, bringing the game to ver 1.11. The other is a patch and includes some enhancements, costs 10 bucks and is referred to on the site as 2.0.

Additionally, there is a new edition in terms of the theater of war covered recently released: Combat Mission: Fortress Italy. And finally, the Eastern Front makes a return if rumors are to be believed later next year.

If you've got some time off for the holidays and want to see what this is all about, there are demos.

http://www.battlefront.com/

cheers
    Last edited by easytarget; 12-24-2012 at 23:12.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Time for another update on this one, BF are releasing the eastern front in the near future. The latest module is called Red Thunder and takes place in 44.

For those who prefer their WW2 simulations take place in 3D, nothing else really compares, mainly because nothing else exists like this series.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...330&Itemid=567