Thread: Literature on the successor kingdoms.

Default Literature on the successor kingdoms.

I'm looking for recommendations for literature and articles about the successor kingdoms, mostly focused on their structure, the similarities and differences between them and reasons for their fall.

Since it's for an essay and I don't have too much time to do it, preferably nothing too heavy.

Default Re: Literature on the successor kingdoms.

http://books.google.it/books?id=IZ65...epage&q&f=true

only one i have but a quick search on a few threads in here should give you further literature if not a quick google search could prove usefull ofc that with guidance things are easyer but i´m not the dude to give it

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

The Hellenistic Age by Peter Green is a must. I also have Dividing the Spoils by Robin Waterfield, but I haven't gotten around reading it yet.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

You could have a look into "Glenn R. Bugh: The Cambridge Companion of the Hellenistic World" for a start. What the successor kingdoms had in common (especially concerning their structure) is among other things the court as the central of power, so Rolf Strootman's dissertation could be helpful: http://dspace.library.uu.nl:8080/handle/1874/22154
    But if you're looking for a general overview, you might try "Frank W. Walbank: The Hellenistic World" - its latest edition (the 4th) dates to 1994, I think.
    I don't know whether you have access to a university library - this one contains some shorter papers you might like: https://www.press.umich.edu/16772/he...tic_monarchies
    If you speak German, there's a book which provides an excellent overview: "Hans-Joachim Gehrke: Geschichte des Hellenismus. Oldenbourg-Grundriß der Geschichte, Bd. 1A, München 2008 (4th edition)"; if not, you could try "François Chamoux: Hellenistic Civilization (transl. by Michel Roussel), Malden/Oxford/Melbourne/Berlin 2002 (rev. edition)".
    Last edited by Lysandros; 03-18-2014 at 09:59.
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."