Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military cadence

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Military cadence

Can someone explain to this poor foo' who hasn't been to the army the purpouse of the military cadence (running songs)?

Esprit de Corps? Discipline? Breathing training? Also, who does the singing? If it's the sarge, he must have some pretty huge lungs to be able to run 5 km while singing.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Military cadence

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Can someone explain to this poor foo' who hasn't been to the army the purpouse of the military cadence (running songs)?

Esprit de Corps? Discipline? Breathing training? Also, who does the singing? If it's the sarge, he must have some pretty huge lungs to be able to run 5 km while singing.
    indeed, and adding to the oxygen processing capacity is part of it. wiki

It all stems back to the basic sense of "unit" that emerges from close-order drill. That sense of unit cohesion is still valued -- hence running in groups with cadence songs and the like -- even when close order drill is passé on the battlefield.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

To keep the mind occupied while doing senseless tasks.

It's surprising how much easier hard physical stuff gets when you're thinking of something else.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Esprit de Corps...

May I add that it's damn morale lifting?

In my platoon, it was tradition to kidnap the new recruits, mess them up some, and then teach them the marching songs... As we served minimum 15 months, at least 3 months were overlapping with next years recruits.

Some weeks in, we put on the balaclavas and woke them up with flashbangs, dragging our weapons against the steel bunk beds, yelling, metal music on highest volume and so on...

We then put blindfolds on them, messed them up some for good measure, and dragged them out in the woods.

Out there, we had made this HUGE bonfire... The new guys were untied, and we gave them copious amounts of alcohol, spending the night bonding... Not only did we teach them valuable de facto lessons about military life, we also passed on the regiments marching songs.

The advice could be along the lines of "Army lip balm, in a pinch, work wonders to make the boots shine for inspection. Once it dry it will look like crap, but if you just want them sorted for inspection and have absolutely no time, don't hesitate".

I remember having a gruelling march, it was MURDER.... Anyway, someone started singing "Bright Side Of Life" (from Life of Brian), and seriously, it removed like 15kgs of weight from your shoulders, just like that.

So yeah, morale lifting.... And definitely a way to bond together as a group.

My favourite song was all about going to Valhall and fucking Freja, myth has it that it has survived since the Viking days.

Another one of my favourites are from the Swedish Empire times, a Carolinger song. It's completely bad ass, mainly about making Russian sons fatherless while raping their mums.

We even have our version of the known marine corps thingy, although I am not sure the marine corps invented it in the first place anyway.

"Jag vill dö med kängorna på,
    för jag komma till Valhall då.

Där ska jag knulla Freja full,
    ge henne ett jägarknull.

Sen ska jag dra till Moskva,
    Döda ryssar och må bra!

aso aso aso...

Members thankful for this post (3):

I was stationed next to some SEALs...

They sang this as they ran at times, even added a line about Swedish Rangers... It was hard not to join them running... Actually most days we did :)

from about 20 sec till 2-3 min in :)

Yeah, it speaks right to the tribal monkeybrain in an attempt to drive all civilization out of a man.

An attempt to turn humans into mindless killing machines until they are actually available.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Member thankful for this post:

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Yeah, it speaks right to the tribal monkeybrain in an attempt to drive all civilization out of a man.

An attempt to turn humans into mindless killing machines until they are actually available.
    Don't you mean, "In order to scare the Civilisation into a man so that he's reliable on a battlefield."

Honestly, it's disgusting the amount of stick the average Swaddie gets (not a typo, look it up)

How many soldiers have we had on these boards?

Sigurd, Banquo, Kukri, MRD, GC...

All terrible people...

I'd add Kad and HoreTore but AFRAIK they were Conscripts - and like everything they had diametrically exposed experiences.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Don't you mean, "In order to scare the Civilisation into a man so that he's reliable on a battlefield."

Honestly, it's disgusting the amount of stick the average Swaddie gets (not a typo, look it up)

All terrible people...

I'd add Kad and HoreTore but AFRAIK they were Conscripts - and like everything they had diametrically exposed experiences.
    Quick correction, I started out as conscript (like everyone back then), officer training program. Then went career, mainly UN service (Yugoslavia, Kosovo - is where I have most experience).

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

French army likes marches, especially during night (as it doesn’t waste time for day light proper training) and in combat conditions (meaning you can’t have talk and things like this). It always LOVE the “commando” marches which is to cover 8 km in half running half running manners with full gear (back pack at 15 kg, plus water, plus weapon). It is painful and excruciating, in one word, harsh.
    I remember finishing one of these when the platoon (I was at the Infantry Combat School of Montpellier at that time, still a soldier of Rank) and we were ordered to formation, before to go to the barracks. We were all exhausted, sweating and smelly (this I suppose), out of breath (this I remember).
    Then we were order to march in “départ en chantant”, meaning when your first step (left) you start to sing. The first notes were not brilliant, for what I recalled, but after 1 or 2 meter, air starting to go in the lungs, and the song went deeper, following the slow and sad words of soldiering. The heads went up, the backs straightened, weapons hold. And this feeling to belong to an elite floods in, to be part of the ones doing this. Difficult to explain.

http://youtu.be/CcuHzo8Hsz8
    Last edited by Brenus; 04-29-2014 at 07:05.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Thanks for the stories guys. There's a reason I asked here and didn't just google it

Requesting link to the dying, going to Valhalla and baning Freja song.

If people are doing it, it must have its merits. Sounds like it does. I can tell that working out to music (especially if you're doing cardio or variance training) really helps, but I can't imagine how singing can benefit you when you're gasping for air. Guess it just works though.

Blog Entries

I've never understood why army units have things like initiation beatings/scares. I kinda understand doing it to a troublesome member because he constantly mucks around and acts like an idiot, but doing guy in just for joining?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

All terrible people...
    By that definition WW1 and 2 must have turned us all into more civilized people and you should all be thankful to us for starting them and making them lead to the Cold War and more militarization. We should also be thankful to OBL for making us turn even more men into real men and decent people when we were on the verge of becoming despicable pussies. Putin was also in the military, as were many dictators, why are they not decent and civilized men?

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    French army likes marches, especially during night (as it doesn’t waste time for day light proper training) and in combat conditions (meaning you can’t have talk and things like this). It always LOVE the “commando” marches which is to cover 8 km in half running half running manners with full gear (back pack at 15 kg, plus water, plus weapon). It is painful and excruciating, in one word, harsh.
    I remember finishing one of these when the platoon (I was at the Infantry Combat School of Montpellier at that time, still a soldier of Rank) and we were ordered to formation, before to go to the barracks. We were all exhausted, sweating and smelly (this I suppose), out of breath (this I remember).
    Then we were order to march in “départ en chantant”, meaning when your first step (left) you start to sing. The first notes were not brilliant, for what I recalled, but after 1 or 2 meter, air starting to go in the lungs, and the song went deeper, following the slow and sad words of soldiering. The heads went up, the backs straightened, weapons hold. And this feeling to belong to an elite floods in, to be part of the ones doing this. Difficult to explain.

http://youtu.be/CcuHzo8Hsz8
    Did you sing any of the ones about hating the Austrians to your dying day?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I've never understood why army units have things like initiation beatings/scares. I kinda understand doing it to a troublesome member because he constantly mucks around and acts like an idiot, but doing guy in just for joining?
    It is common to most "high trust requirement" teams in various areas: soldiering, fire-fighting, etc. Integrating the new member [FNG] involves the membership determining that they can handle stress and remain "with it" while being stressed. Since they have to trust you, literally, with their lives this takes on a good deal of importance. Add in that most such units have a somewhat higher morale -- with it's concomitant 'show me you are as keen to be a part of this as I was when I joined' -- and the new member "welcoming" efforts make a bit more sense.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    ...Now corrective training for screwups is a whole different thing, but even then none of its as bad as having your pay docked.
    Was this "corrective training" initiated via the chain of command or peer-initiated?

We always sang cadence when we ran. You sing the good ones away from civilization, and you sing the corny ones when you get too close to a housing area or a support unit. I'd imagine you could get in real trouble in today's Army for the stuff we'd sing only 5 or 6 years ago.

Political Correctness sucks.
    Am curious how those sounded. I was getting in trouble 15 years ago for jodie calls I learned 25 years ago.

Myth - This history geeks main interest is the 19th century U.S. south. I found it interesting how much the field laborers hollers and songs were similar to our military jodie calls. Like our military units they were using it to help pass by the tedious tasks. They also helped to form a sense of community. Similar to how our military units form cohesiveness.

Also breathing! Surely your not surprised that many of our young recruits are not in top physical fitness. The ones that have no idea how to run don't need to be reminded to breath if we can get them to respond to a call. No singing without breathing.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    It is common to most "high trust requirement" teams in various areas: soldiering, fire-fighting, etc. Integrating the new member [FNG] involves the membership determining that they can handle stress and remain "with it" while being stressed. Since they have to trust you, literally, with their lives this takes on a good deal of importance. Add in that most such units have a somewhat higher morale -- with it's concomitant 'show me you are as keen to be a part of this as I was when I joined' -- and the new member "welcoming" efforts make a bit more sense.
    This sums up the hazing nicely, so I'll just add my voice to it.

At least where I was stationed, it wasn't about causing physical harm... Some slaps, pushes and kicks against body parts that could take it, sure... But I have been roughed up more doing sports than I was when it was my time to get hazed....

The shock factor was the big thing, I remember just waking up by being pushed out of bed, extremely loud noises all around, masked men manhandling us and forcing us out in the woods...

Those who then "can't take it" will be reported to the captain, those who remain calm will be extra praised.

The celebration afterwards is the important part of it though... In a way, having completely broken regiment like that, and having a mutual shared experience, removes the lines between officers and new recruits - leading to a bonding across the formal ranks.

It SOUNDS rough, and stupidly manly.... But I must say it works.

I was soooooo scared of the sgt's and stuff BEFORE the hazing, afterwards I had a personal relationship but still under the official chain of command.

They kind of beat being scarred out of me, and gave me beer afterwards... All sharing their pro-tips on how to survive in the army's day to day life. Hehe, I get all nostalgic thinking back on it now

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Did you sing any of the ones”: Too old!!!! And this one is not against Austrians, or hating them, but is about charging enemies with bayonets...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

It's nice that you liked your hazing and think it was great experience, you bonded and so...

On the other hand, there's a picture in my mind. It's late August, I'm in Greece, Aegean coast, near the beach, around 9pm... There's a properly cooled bottle of white wine, next to a rather big salad bowl, filled with tomatoes, paprika, thinly sliced fresh cucumbers and huge amount of olives, with a modicum of vinegar and just a light sprinkle of olive oil on top, and Feta cheese added in liberal amount. Next to me there's a beautiful brunette, about 25 years old, with wet hair, bronze tan and not an abundance of clothes... And I'm about to bond with her.

So, you guys can say what you want, but my bonding beats your bonding.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 04-29-2014 at 18:35.

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    Did you sing any of the ones”: Too old!!!! And this one is not against Austrians, or hating them, but is about charging enemies with bayonets...
    I think old military songs should be revived, as I think they're just as relevant now as when they were written. The US army needs more songs about subduing the rebel scum and how southerners will get what's coming to them (or alternatively about a drive to extend the borders to the Labrador Sea). That rubbish about treading grapes should be abandoned as well, as singing about John Brown's rotting corpse is much more inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    It's nice that you liked your hazing and think it was great experience, you bonded and so...

On the other hand, there's a picture in my mind. It's late August, I'm in Greece, Aegean coast, near the beach, around 9pm... There's a properly cooled bottle of white wine, next to a rather big salad bowl, filled with tomatoes, paprika, thinly sliced fresh cucumbers and huge amount of olives, with a modicum of vinegar and just a light sprinkle of olive oil on top, and Feta cheese added in liberal amount. Next to me there's a beautiful brunette, about 25 years old, with wet hair, bronze tan and not an abundance of clothes... And I'm about to bond with her.

So, you guys can say what you want, but my bonding beats your bonding.
    Why not have both? Ain't never seen a soldier without a girl by his side. Kad is banging a Russian spy even.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Why not have both? Ain't never seen a soldier without a girl by his side. Kad is banging a Russian spy even.
    Is she on Facebook?

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Oh he's banging a russian spy alright.

Attachment 12833
    In defense of Kad, that's a guy who can trigger homo-erotic fantasies in any man.

So, Putin and Clooney don't count.

Members thankful for this post (4):

I'm not dating that girl anymore...

I still wonder if she was a spy though. Of course her story checked out, but that's what you expect from a self respecting spy anyway ;)

About that Putin photo... Doesn't it look like he is... Skipping? Or is it just me?

Weeeee're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    I'm not dating that girl anymore...

I still wonder if she was a spy though. Of course her story checked out, but that's what you expect from a self respecting spy anyway ;)

About that Putin photo... Doesn't it look like he is... Skipping? Or is it just me?

Weeeee're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!!
    Nah - he's shaking his money maker on the rustic catwalk - just look at the amount of hip he's putting into it.

So what's with ditching the Russian spy? Were you summoned and given a cease and desist order?

Could you not extract her secrets?

Losing your touch man...

Nah - he's shaking his money maker on the rustic catwalk - just look at the amount of hip he's putting into it.

So what's with ditching the Russian spy? Were you summoned and given a cease and desist order?

Could you not extract her secrets?

Losing your touch man...
    She was going back to Russia, and I really don't feel like building a future there...

Oh well, I guess I just have to wank off when I see her as a Pro-Russian Ukranian separatist on the news next...

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    She was going back to Russia, and I really don't feel like building a future there...

Oh well, I guess I just have to wank off when I see her as a Pro-Russian Ukranian separatist on the news next...
    Too much sharing bro.

Back on topic-ish.

It's a common misconception that Western Armies take normal young men and make them into thugs - quite the opposite, they take thugs and make them into normal, functioning, members of society.

That's not to say that the majority of soldiers start out as Chavs, but the army processes Chavs, white trash (adjust for national difference) and makes them into hald-decent young men.

Too much sharing bro.

Back on topic-ish.

It's a common misconception that Western Armies take normal young men and make them into thugs - quite the opposite, they take thugs and make them into normal, functioning, members of society.

That's not to say that the majority of soldiers start out as Chavs, but the army processes Chavs, white trash (adjust for national difference) and makes them into hald-decent young men.
    So the answer to unwanted behavior in society is generally more government-subsidized brainwashing?

The army is the place where young adults learn how to be a child.

It's also an excellent place to learn how to steal stuff.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

You know, I'd say the US Army certainly has that potential, but the war definitely took its toll on that aspect of the military existence. The way they're currently handling the force draw-down is pretty disgraceful, too--re-instating draconian tattoo policies that were suspended during the Iraq war, forcing career NCOs to retire early, encouraging units to involuntarily separate Soldiers for minor offences rather than give incentives for people to leave on good terms, and so forth. Its becoming a very political and very competitive Army very quickly, as everyone with a clean record jockeys for a position in the down-sized Army. I saw this coming, and when my ankle got hurt I knew I'd be one of the ones on the chopping block when this time came, so I suppose I'm just happy I didn't re-enlist.

Certainly, once we're done with major conflicts, the Army will go back to that character-building schtick, but its really a luxury that a wartime Army can't afford and it was one of the first things out the window when the Iraq war turned out to be less than mission accomplished.
    Well, the higher ups in the US Army will remember the whole show falling apart after Vietnam - they're probably being aggressive with the dead wood, cutting off some live wood too, to prevent a re-run of the 1980's. That's not to say they're doing the right thing now but I can understand the desire to not have to spend a decade re-building the army again.

UK troops had deployments of around 6 months, but I hear US deployments were getting up to 18 months towards the end. That's pretty much insane, those guys will come out nuttier than a bunch of squirrels after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    So the answer to unwanted behavior in society is generally more government-subsidized brainwashing?
    We even had a reality TV show about it here, Bad Lads Army, where they take 30 young men with poor records and put them through National Service. At the end of one series, about 10/3 up and signed on with the real Army and one guy proposed to his girlfriend.

In the UK we have a very strong belief in the reformative power of the British Army.

Myth 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast