Thread: Egpytian Justice

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Egpytian Justice

Harsh sentences have been handed down against members of the Muslim Brotherhood. Source

Nearly 683 have been sentenced to death, with 37 others having had a similar sentence confirmed -- over 700 in total.

So is it harsh justice so as to squelch a possible civil war, or payback time....or a little of both?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Egpytian Justice

Pretty damn rediculous, not that I like them, but it doesn't go beyond not calling an ambulance. Killing so many is madness, yay arab spring.

Member thankful for this post:

The old regime is back with a vengeance.

Fragony is still living with severe delusions.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

There were already 5xx sentenced to death about a month ago or so, but their sentences were now turned into life in prison.
    Of course it's ridiculous, they are all blamed for the deaths of 2 policemen during some protest or so.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    The old regime is back with a vengeance.

Fragony is still living with severe delusions.
    Yeah, I am the one who believed in such a thing as an arab spring, I am way too cynical for that. Only leftist cheer-monkeys saw any change they could believe in. The rest of us knew better than that.
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-28-2014 at 23:05.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Whoa time out this isn't the spring. It's the old school hard line back in power... It's the group that is anti-spring with the death sentences.

Btw very crafty in the sentencing. Life is too harsh, but since it is a commute from a death sentence it isn't so bad now...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    There were already 5xx sentenced to death about a month ago or so, but their sentences were now turned into life in prison.
    Of course it's ridiculous, they are all blamed for the deaths of 2 policemen during some protest or so.
    Most of them will probably be out in a few years tops, and I see it as highly unlikely that the death sentences will actually be carried out. Heck, if they did, it would be a massacre.

Still, the message sent by the government is crystal clear. They have not come to protect Egyptian democracy from the Brotherhood, they have come to spread terror and crush any resistance mercilessly, old-school style.

One would think that the good ol' days of the Cold War despots were at an end as they can no longer find a strong ally in the US or USSR; sadly it seems we won't be rid of these imbeciles for some time yet.

I wouldnt mind a source?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middle...510336199.html

Minya, Egypt - An Egyptian judge has sentenced 683 alleged Muslim Brotherhood supporters to death, including the group's supreme guide, Mohamed Badie, and confirmed the death sentences of 37 of 529 alleged supporters previously condemned.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Six of one, half a dozen of the other - have the regime that executes you for trying whisky, or the one that executes you for speaking ill of the government.

What you have here is a perverse reflection of a two-party system like the US, the majority don't want either - but they end up supporting one because they fear the other.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

The fascistic millitary junta is killing off the hardline borderline insane reigious fundies. Frankly, I am so jaded with the entire affair I can only see it as a net positive that the two are more focussed on killing eachother than anyone I might actually sympathise with.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Bordeline insane religious nutjob supporters, quite the difference. Killing someone for rioting, good show there. The brotherhood is scum but their supporters aren't necesarily scum. All these sentences should be revoked unless there is a REALLY good reason, this is madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    The fascistic millitary junta is killing off the hardline borderline insane reigious fundies. Frankly, I am so jaded with the entire affair I can only see it as a net positive that the two are more focussed on killing eachother than anyone I might actually sympathise with.
    The people in question here can't be deemed "hardline religious figures", they're ordinary people. They are going after the leaders as well, but these guys aren't leaders.

My prediction is that the common supporters will be terrorized and then released, while they either whack or keep the leadrs.

Blog Entries

My prediction is that the common supporters will be terrorized and then released, while they either whack or keep the leadrs.
    I hope that's it, with the current climate in the middle east I half expect massacring them all would just restart the civil war.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I hope that's it, with the current climate in the middle east I half expect massacring them all would just restart the civil war.
    Executing over a thousands commoners sounds extremely brutal and unlikely.

Then again, unlikely things do happen... Al-Sisi may well be a butcher.

If he is a butcher, he will have to slaughter many more than just a thousand. As Machiavelli said, you either need to appease or destroy. A thousand deaths won't destroy, and it definitely won't appease.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 04-29-2014 at 10:36.

Executing over a thousands commoners sounds extremely brutal and unlikely.

Then again, unlikely things do happen... Al-Sisi may well be a butcher.

If he is a butcher, he will have to slaughter many more than just a thousand. As Machiavelli said, you either need to appease or destroy. A thousand deaths won't destroy, and it definitely won't appease.
    I don't expect these executions will be carried out either, but it's obviously extreme intimidation. They have a reason to be angry really, Morsi was democratically elected. The army also has a point as Morsi wanted to build it of, army doesn't like that , it's almost a holy duty for them

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Just in case there was any doubt that these were the actions of a tyrannical military junta, it should be noted that they have also banned the secular pro-democracy group that triggered the initial protests against Mubarak. From the BBC:

Also on Monday, a court banned a youth group that helped ignite the uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

The decision passed in Cairo to outlaw the April 6 pro-democracy movement was based on a complaint that accused the group of "tarnishing the image" of Egypt and colluding with foreign parties.

Ahmed Maher, the group's leader, was sentenced to three years in prison in December for violating a law that bans all but police-sanctioned protests.
    I remember very well when Morsi was toppled how people made excuses for the coup and said it was about defending secularism and human rights. Turns out it was really just about putting another junta in power and un-doing the revolution.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 04-29-2014 at 16:56.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

But guys what about the Arab springzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

What are the chances of a Constitutional Monarchy headed by Fuad II? Emulate Jordan, which seems to be the only non-basket case in the region.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    What are the chances of a Constitutional Monarchy headed by Fuad II? Emulate Jordan, which seems to be the only non-basket case in the region.
    I'd say "none whatsoever".

I'm also rather unsure what a return to the 40's will help.

Not sure it would, just thinking that the current state of affairs is doomed to a repeat of previous events ad nauseum unless they break the cycle and put in different institutional structure of some kind.

Not sure it would, just thinking that the current state of affairs is doomed to a repeat of previous events ad nauseum unless they break the cycle and put in different institutional structure of some kind.
    The old monarchs were the reason the Saddam batch of dictators gained power.

You would only add another step to the cycle, it won't break anything.

The old monarchs were the reason the Saddam batch of dictators gained power.

You would only add another step to the cycle, it won't break anything.
    A constitutional monarchy might provide some sense of stability while avoiding the idiotic kleptocracy that was Farouk. Or it might end up being the kind of silly repeat you suggest.

Oh, and Nasser and S. Hussein are at least a half generation off from one another, not to mention the different cultural issues unique to Egypt.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 04-30-2014 at 17:45.

A constitutional monarchy might provide some sense of stability while avoiding the idiotic kleptocracy that was Farouk. Or it might end up being the kind of silly repeat you suggest.

Oh, and Nasser and S. Hussein are at least a half generation off from one another, not to mention the different cultural issues unique to Egypt.
    Saddam's coup, sure. The Baath party beginnings, nah.

...and I sense that you do not live under a monarch... They might seem all Disney from a distance, but up close you can easily see their incompetence, inbreeding and corruption.

Saddam's coup, sure. The Baath party beginnings, nah.

...and I sense that you do not live under a monarch... They might seem all Disney from a distance, but up close you can easily see their incompetence, inbreeding and corruption.
    well, the latter is the problem.

Yeah, nothing wrong with keeping it in the family!
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Garcon! Bring forth the guillotine!

Monarchs, screw them.

I live under a monarchy too. And the corruption and incompetence I see are from the elected politicians.

The only way to emulate Jprdan would be to put a member of the Hashmite dynasty who's also a trekkie on the throne. And I'm pretty sure there's only one of those.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	King_Abdullah_on_Star_Trek.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	12850
    Last edited by lars573; 05-01-2014 at 18:01.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

No need to abandon the metaphor.
    Arab Spring => the Terror => Military consolidation under a "strong man".
    I simply await the inevitable ruinous "march on Moscow".

Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Yeah, nothing wrong with keeping it in the family!
    And a time honored tradition in Egypt. Just ask anyone from Ptolemy I-XV.